Spark plug recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I am wanting to do a tune up on my truck and I was wondering what plugs from oreillys do y'all recommend? I have a miss on cylinder 8 so I'm hoping new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and a new coil would fix this if y'all have some recommendations on those that would be helpful as well. Thank y'all in advance.

99 Ram sport 1500 5.2 2wd

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A lot of Ram guys like the Autolite 3923. They're a one step cooler plug than OEM and many claim they reduce the pinging issues the engines are known for. I used a set at my last tune up and I think they made a big difference. The engine seemed much happier than with the Champion RC12Y I was using.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Any brand you want but no fancy ass plugs. Plain old copper plug is best.

Do a comp test on #8 before you spend any cash on parts.

themoparkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ive had good performance with Autolite 3924. Its a copper core spark plug. They keep their gaps when you set them. NGK V-Power spark plugs are good as well, little more expensive. Stay away from Champions and anything platinum or iridium.

Autolite makes good replacement wires. They're very good quality. Never had an issue within the 3 years i've had them.

I would not recommend getting a replacement coil from any autoparts store, most of them are junk. You can get one from the dealer, they're about $50. But for that price you can get one from Accel. Your choice.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Thank y'all but now it's gonna be a while I would have been able to do it this week but got a speeding ticket for passing someone going 15 over and supposeably I wasn't passing so I got a warning for being in the left lane so there went my leeway to be able to do it so I now have to wait another 2 weeks to do the work to it ≥﹏≤. The Miss is intermetit some days it will be there and throw the code and some days it won't but it won't hurt to do the compression test and I will look into the plugs y'all recommend.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
i had champions in my truck for years...always ran good - no complaints

Then, one day a few years ago i was on here and i read a guys review on autolite plugs 3923 (i think is the number)

I decided to go down and buy some to try.

Now my truck was running great with the champions so i figured if it runs like crap, i can put them back it

I installed the autolites and my truck has never run better! It revs quicker, idles smoother, pulls harder....

for my truck (every truck is different) it was night and day

Those plugs are still in my truck today and it runs fantastic! I will never go back to champions for my truck - autolite only

I always wonder how many guys say their truck runs really good, not knowing that switching plugs can make a huge difference!

anyway, thats just my truck and my opinion!:favorites13:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I always wonder how many guys say their truck runs really good, not knowing that switching plugs can make a huge difference!

anyway, thats just my truck and my opinion!:favorites13:

People don't because of the cost and time involved or they just don't know any better. I have tried just about all the plugs made in my truck shy of the E3's over the 18 years. From plain old copper to IR, in all brands. Your's likes Autolites mine hates them, mine likes Bosch. I have a almost new set of NGK IR's out in the barn $120 down the drain but I knew it was going to be a hit or miss thing, she ran like crap with these plugs.

The same goes for spark-plug leads, many swear by 7mm but they have never tried say 8mm-8.5mm quality lead's. They go buy the cheapest they can find or what the auto parts guy tells them is good and thats it.

I have tried a lot of ign brands/parts over the years on my truck, I now have a set rule for what goes in/on my truck for ign parts.

I no longer post a spark plug brand or a make for a dizzy cap and rotor unless I am asked what I use. But wires I will post MSD 8.5mm, same for the coil MSD.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Merc is 100% right, something else a lot of people miss is plugs and wires need to match.
If you put high impedance 7mm wires with a "hot" plug or a plug with a faster discharge rate it will run like crap aswell as the other way 8.5mm and copper cores put a terrible amount of load on the coil from too much inductive kick, and will lead to a spark that is too early and too cold.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
its weird to think that all our trucks are the same, yet some truck like x brand parts and some trucks like y brand parts, yet they are going on the same motor ...........weird

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
That is weird but I guess they are like us they have their own tastes.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Was always a champion guy until I installed 4 plugs in a row that were duds. Everything in my driveway runs on NGK period.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I'll try NGK that is what my dirtbike ran and it gave it a noticeable difference of power don't know why I never thought about using them

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
im going to try some ngk's this spring when i get my truck out

anybody know the part number for them? I need a step cooler, comparable to the autolite 3923s

I love the autolites, but if everyone here is liking ngk...i should atleast give them a try!

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I found a couple on autozone

NGK V power copper# 4291

NGK IX iridium# 6441

NGK Laser Dbl plat# 3271

NGK GP platinum# 7100

From oreillys ⬇

NGK iridium IX#
ZFR6FIX-11

NGK G-Power platinum#
ZFR6FGP

NGK Laser platinum#
PZFR6F-11

NGK V-Power Nickel#
ZFR6F-11

That is all I found for NGK on those two sites

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I found a couple on autozone

NGK V power copper# 4291

NGK IX iridium# 6441

NGK Laser Dbl plat# 3271

NGK GP platinum# 7100

From oreillys ⬇

NGK iridium IX#
ZFR6FIX-11

NGK G-Power platinum#
ZFR6FGP

NGK Laser platinum#
PZFR6F-11

NGK V-Power Nickel#
ZFR6F-11

That is all I found for NGK on those two sites

which one would be the step cooler, comparable to the autolite 3923 that im running now?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Why not look it up at NGK's web site, you know just a thought.