Spark plugs and gap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coryz760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a 5.9l ... Never done the tune up myself. My spark plugs all gap just after .040. if it's not exactly that will I run into problems?

OP
OP
C

Coryz760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a 5.9l ... Never done the tune up myself. My spark plugs all gap just after .040. if it's not exactly that will I run into problems?

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Honestly I didn't gap mine and have no problems related to that. Other issues yes. Make sure they are copper core though. Is a platinum and you will have issues. Our ignition system isn't hot enough to make good spark with them. Learned that on the hard way and had to redo it.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've always run .040" gap and never had problems. As Justin said, make sure to use plain ole copper plugs as there are MANY stories of people running platinum or (heaven forbid) iridium plugs with our factory coils and having running problems. And if you're thinking of averting that problem by running a hotter aftermarket coil, there are also stories of people barbecuing their ECUs after using them (something to do with "voltage backfeed" or something. If Pepper pops in, he could elaborate).

I've got a new set of NGK plugs to pop in sometime this season and am actually thinking of leaving them at .035" just to see what (if anything) happens.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been using NGK .035 in my '99 for many years, and it's always run fine.

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I was also curious of the E3 spark plugs. But don't think they have a copper core version.