Squeaking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I'm driving I can hear a squeaking noise that sounds like it's coming from the passenger's side tire area. There is no difficulty in turning that I have noticed. I first heard it when I was completing turns and now I have been hearing it when I'm driving between 25-35mph on a straight road (still hearing it after making turns too). Sometimes I hear it and sometimes the squeaking doesn't occur. Anyone have any ideas? I don't think it's the ball joints, I had a problem with one of those a while back and it sounded much different than the squeaking I'm hearing now.

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
could just be a dry bushing... take some WD40 or silicone spray and spray it on everything that rubs together. could also be the brakes... i notice mine squeek after i leave it sit for awile because they get some surface rust buildup which has to wear off

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
^^^ use that stuff and if it comes back then your gonna need the bushings replaced imo.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hmm alright i'll give this a shot and spray in and around the rotors and see what that does, since i'm pretty sure it's coming from that area

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does it go away when you apply the brakes? mine is squeaking but it goes away when i hit the brakes. im pretty sure my passenger side caliper is not retracting all the way and the pad is riding on the rotor. i will hopefully be picking up a new caliper here soon!

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nah i can't hear it squeak when i press on the brakes

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was talking to a mechanic buddy of mine this morning and he told me that sometimes the little wear indicator tabs on the brake pads can get bent down so that they are making constant contact with the rotor and making a squeak/squeal when you go down the road. so that may be something worth checking out. i think im gonna check it out on mine later today.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
alright so im going to apply to WD to the caliper-area tomorrow, this isn't going to prevent my brake from successfully stopping the truck is it? The brake on that side should still work fine right? lol..

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
sorta.. you have 3 other brakes to stop it, and it will not take long to burn off. i used to have a dakota and one night the caliper stuck and would get so hot the rotor would glow red, eventually the powerless v6 could barely move so i took some wd40 (the only thing i had) and sprayed it on the rotor every mile or so to limp it home. the brakes still worked after that although that rotor was EXTREMLY warped!

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
alright so im going to apply to WD to the caliper-area tomorrow, this isn't going to prevent my brake from successfully stopping the truck is it? The brake on that side should still work fine right? lol..

i think they just want you to spray it on the bushing

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
There isn't even really much of a bushing it's just two metal ears basically that slide inside the caliper bracket. DO NOT, spray it on the rotor.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I don't get it, where am I going to be spraying then?

Really I don't know what they want you to do, spraying the rubber boots would be pointless. It would do absolutely nothing at all besides prolly get on the rotors and make stopping a ***** and it would pull to the left like crazy. Jack up the passenger side and pull the wheel, then look how much pad is left. If the pads are good and the squeelers aren't rubbing the rotor put the wheel back on and use a pry bar underneath the tire to check if your balljoints are moving at all by prying upwards. Then push on the left and right of the tire to make sure your hub assembly isn't loose and causing noise as well, if none of that leads to solving your problem idk what else to tell you.

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
its really not necessary to spray it on the rotor, but i have gotten **** on my rotors and have had no problems, it wears off in a few miles anyway- especially if you hotlap it.
what i origionaly meant was to spray it on everything that moves- shock pivit points, shock shaft, tie rod ends, the pivit points on the wheels... etc..
also do what shilo said...

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
alright i just sprayed it down with wd, on the rotor a little, on the caliper and behind the wheel. i have to go to school in a little while so i'll see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
didn't hear it on the way to school
heard it on the way back home

sounds like its definitely coming from the front passenger's side

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think im going to bring it in to dodge and have them look at it, its starting to get annoying as ****. ill have them look at my brakes too, those prolly need to be changed..

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I snapped a couple pictures, tell me, does any of this look "normal" to you? Seems like the brake is VERY close, or touching the rotor..let me know what you think

i'm going to run out and get one more, identical to the second pic..

All of those pictures were of the back passenger wheel/brake.

Last edited: