Stalling while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lcolleary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I’m at a total loss at this point. 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 24v and about 245k miles. I stall out while driving 5+ times a day and it always starts right back up. It throws a p0251 code. What has been done so far:
2019: 6 new injectors, injector fuel tubes, fuel filter, cp3 injection pump.
Truck sat for 3 years
2022: pcm/ecm replacement
It’s already been seen by a mechanic (did the pcm) and he sent it home saying I should be good. ran nicely for a week and now I’m back in full blown stall out every 10 minutes. Stalls while idling or driving, 10 mph or 60. Mainly when I’m decelerating or idling.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How’s the fuel pump ?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey Hunter, I would 'assume' the mechanic checked fuel lift to the filter when all the other parts were thrown at it. Since the code is injector pump and that's been replaced, I'm thinking something electrical. I'm going to assume no new codes are being thrown since all the work has been done?

OP
OP
L

Lcolleary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey Hunter, I would 'assume' the mechanic checked fuel lift to the filter when all the other parts were thrown at it. Since the code is injector pump and that's been replaced, I'm thinking something electrical. I'm going to assume no new codes are being thrown since all the work has been done?
Nothing but p0251 and pcm but since replacing that and clearing it hasn’t come back

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Nothing but p0251 and pcm but since replacing that and clearing it hasn’t come back
I only have speculation, but something is shutting off the flow of fuel or that Cummins would keep running. And the way it starts right back up rules out running the filter housing dry so I'm definitely leaning towards electrical (think of what happens when key is turned off-it breaks a connection and shuts off flow of fuel). Wish I had something more to offer. Good luck

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
One would assume the mechanic did his job, but… Still sounds like a clogged or failing fuel pump to me which affects the fuel meter sensor. In 2007 I replaced my failing pump with a Fass pump. Considered top shelf by back then. No idea what’s out there now.

OP
OP
L

Lcolleary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I’m at a total loss at this point. 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 24v and about 245k miles. I stall out while driving 5+ times a day and it always starts right back up. It throws a p0251 code. What has been done so far:
2019: 6 new injectors, injector fuel tubes, fuel filter, cp3 injection pump.
Truck sat for 3 years
2022: pcm/ecm replacement
It’s already been seen by a mechanic (did the pcm) and he sent it home saying I should be good. ran nicely for a week and now I’m back in full blown stall out every 10 minutes. Stalls while idling or driving, 10 mph or 60. Mainly when I’m decelerating or idling.
Brought it to the same guy and he thinks it’s the cp3 again. Replacing today I’ll update if it’s the fix

DarthHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Elaborate, how would an idler stall an engine, much less a diesel? A seized idler would cause the belt to squeal or possibly break.
I have a 2004 1500 hemi. Vehicle would stall when starting to accelerate off of a stop. Felt like happened most with left turns.

Driving down the road belt went. When I took it to the shop the replaced the belt and told me I also needed to replace the idler pulley.

Never had an issue since. That’s my story.