Starting issue 5.7L hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gerry204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 2009 ram 5.7 hemi died the other day right as i was pulling onto my street. The last few months the truck has been running rough for the first few minutes after start up, the truck would hesitate like crazy and sometimes not even accelerate unless I really stepped on the throttle but feels like the truck still goes under load like it wants to accelerate.

(No codes thrown) at first I thought it was my fuel pump because I wasn’t hearing it when the key was on. Tried hitting the tank to get it going with no luck. Checked voltage at my sending unit and I’m only getting 3.5v.

tried brake clean into the intake to see if it would fire even for a second with no luck

I checked all my fuses and I’m getting 12v at my fuel pump fuse. I’m not sure how the wiring on these trucks work with voltage sent to the fuel pump but something kind of leads me to possibly wiring.

I am getting spark and also having other weird issues happening, I noticed my steering wheel controls and interior lights are not working with key power on.

hope someone can chime in with my next best place to start looking.
Thanks

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So my 2009 ram 5.7 hemi died the other day right as i was pulling onto my street. The last few months the truck has been running rough for the first few minutes after start up, the truck would hesitate like crazy and sometimes not even accelerate unless I really stepped on the throttle but feels like the truck still goes under load like it wants to accelerate.

(No codes thrown) at first I thought it was my fuel pump because I wasn’t hearing it when the key was on. Tried hitting the tank to get it going with no luck. Checked voltage at my sending unit and I’m only getting 3.5v.

tried brake clean into the intake to see if it would fire even for a second with no luck

I checked all my fuses and I’m getting 12v at my fuel pump fuse. I’m not sure how the wiring on these trucks work with voltage sent to the fuel pump but something kind of leads me to possibly wiring.

I am getting spark and also having other weird issues happening, I noticed my steering wheel controls and interior lights are not working with key power on.

hope someone can chime in with my next best place to start looking.
Thanks
If you have ignition spark and the engine will not start, the first thing I would do is connect a fuel pressure gauge to verify that you have proper fuel pressure. My guess is that you do not have the correct fuel pressure because the internal fuel pump relay inside the TIPM has failed and you are not getting the correct voltage at the fuel pump.

There is a repair available to install an external fuel pump relay to the TIPM that will correct this issue if this is determined to be the culprit.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Open your TIPM and push down on all your fuses to seat them.
Disconnect & clean positive battery terminal.

OP
OP
G

Gerry204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll check to see if my tipm is the issue and get back to you. Thanks

OP
OP
G

Gerry204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have my fuse buddy (Which is a fused amp reader that plugs into the fuse holder on the panel that reads amp draw) in circuit with my fuel pump fuse. With the key on or cranking I have 0 amps being drawn from that fuse but have 12v at the fuse. Would this lead to tipm causing the issue. I do not have any equipment to check fuel pressure

OP
OP
G

Gerry204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I purchased a new fuel pump to try, plugged it in, new pumps not working either. Also tried jumping power from another fuse slot on the tipm with no luck. Clearly a break somewhere in the tipm or to my first connection in the drivers side wheel well. My wires from my plug on under the fender liner to my pump are good, ohmed them out. So

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gerry204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So here’s my update. I have check wiring from the bottom of my tipm to my fuel pump, everything’s good there. Plugged a new pump in, with no luck. Bypassed the fuel pump relay by jumping power from one side of the fuse to the other still with no luck. I’m assuming that somewhere else in the tipm after the relay it has failed. I’ve taken apart the tipm and don’t see anything corrosion or any physical damage. Is it safe to assume it’s the tipm. Thank

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So here’s my update. I have check wiring from the bottom of my tipm to my fuel pump, everything’s good there. Plugged a new pump in, with no luck. Bypassed the fuel pump relay by jumping power from one side of the fuse to the other still with no luck. I’m assuming that somewhere else in the tipm after the relay it has failed. I’ve taken apart the tipm and don’t see anything corrosion or any physical damage. Is it safe to assume it’s the tipm. Thank
You would be amazed at how many TIPM's I have either replaced or bypassed over the last 16 years.

One thing I can suggest so you can verify that your wiring from the TIPM to the fuel pump is good is by disconnecting the connector from the TIPM and applying power and ground to the fuel pump positive and negative to see if you can power the pump. If the pump runs then you know your pump and wiring is good and the TIPM is at fault.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Remember the good old days when all your fuses were safely inside the interior behind the kick panel?
And the computer was in the house...

OP
OP
G

Gerry204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so here’s my update. I purchased a used tipm because you know I don’t feel like spending $1200. Still only 3v at my pump. I’m getting 12v at my fuse but only 4.7 v out of the fuel pump pin on the back of the tipm. Shouldn’t I be getting the full 12v out of the tipm to my wiring to my pump? Or is it reducing my voltage internally?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Fuel pumps are pretty much voltage in=how much volume/pressure out. Low voltage in = low pressure and volume out. The TIPMs are really bad designs and fail internally as I've heard due to bad solder joints and the fuel pump relay. My suggestion is to try something like this and call it a day.

Search on Ebay:

TIPM Repair Fuel Pump Relay Bypass Cable 2005-2016 Dodge Jeep Chrysler