Steering knuckle taper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Until60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was wondering where i can get a reamer for 96 1 ton 4wd diesel. I want it to check the taper. I bought tie rod T steering from dodge off road and the tapered bolts do not seem to make surface contact thru the whole taper. They say they have never had a complaint about them. I want to get a reamer that is the correct for my knuckle to just check to see who is right. I don’t know how to check other than maybe buying a new Moog or other tie rod end to check that taper
Any ideas.
Thanks so much

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Do you have photos of the DOR tie rods?

I thought he was using a heim joints at all ends. Normally you'd have to ream the hole to make a straight hole, not a taper. Most Heim joints use a straight bolt type assembly.

Reamers and or gauges can be find at industrial supply places or companies that sell tooling to metal work. You might get lucky at Grainger and they might have a gauge set.
You should also be able to measure the top of the taper and the bottom, and find a chart on line that will tell you the taper.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Friend used to sell kits for A-Bodies to convert from small to big bolt pattern and I'm pretty sure that the taper on ball joints and tie rod ends was 7*.

OP
OP
U

Until60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I took the tapered bolts to a machine shop and had them try and match the taper. Dodge off road told me it was right, so i bought a Moog tie rod end as a test. The Moog fit perfectly and matched the taper. Very disappointed that DOR would not help at all. Their tapered bolts did not. I used a marker and painted the tapered bolts and put them up in the knuckle and spun it around a few times. The taper only touched in one spot, not good. It was obviously wrong, but they didn’t even respond when i sent pictures and explained my process. Very disappointed.
Thanks for your comments.