Steering wheel “sticking” on long sweeping left turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluecheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2021 Ram 1500

Like the title says, while doing a long sweeping left turn, like on an interstate exit ramp, the steering wheel feels like it’s sticking, and doesn’t want to correct itself straight, to where I have to actively pull it back slightly.

I do not have lane assist in this truck.

All tires have the same pressure.

It only does it on long left sweeping turns, not tight turns - like making a 90 degree turn at an intersection - and not at all when turning right.

Any ideas?

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Check the caster in the front, increase it towards the positive. But it sounds like a defective steering rack.
How does it feel turning full lock to lock while stationary? How about with the tires off of the ground?
You need a competent suspension technician to verify if your safe.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a "new" or a "Classic"? I ask because on my 2014 the steering rack started binding on turns (both left and right) and I sprayed lithium lubricant on the shaft at the joint that connects to the power steering. That resolved the issue, but pretty sure I will have to replace that connector at some point.

I haven't looked at rack on my 2109 to see if it has same connector.