Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
My brother-in-law and I were looking at my 2012 RAM 1500 SLT 4.7L FlexFuel RWD initially because I have a C121E fault that has plagued me for over a year now, but he noticed something when I had AlfaOBD on the graphing function. He was looking at the readings that I get from the steering angle sensor and they seem to be somewhat odd.
- With the steering wheel dead center, it is at zero on AlfaOBD.
- He turned it very slightly right and it jumps up to 1423 or thereabout.
- As he continued to turn the wheel right, it would steadily go down to 820-ish at the full right turn.
- Turning back to center, the readings on AlfaOBD climbed back to 1423 and then jumped to zero at steering wheel straight forward.
- He continued turning to the left and the reading rose from zero at center to about 600 at full left turn.

So, what I'm seeing is that the steering wheel is at zero when it is at center, but the numbers, when turning right, jump up to 1423~1424 and steadily decline to 830 at full right. Then if the wheel is pulled to the left, it raises to 1424, then skips to zero at centered, or driving straight forward, and as the turn to the left increases, so does the reading until at full left turn steering, the value of about 600 is reached.

He says that there is an issue here because either at far left, the reading should be zero and should raise as the wheel is turned right until it reaches 710 at dead center. As the wheel keeps turning right from 710, it will reach approximately 1420 with the wheel at full right turn.
Or another way is should read and is not is that it should be at zero when the wheel is centered and as the wheel turns left, it should raise to 710 or -710 and then when turned to the right of zero it should be the opposite sign of the left turn reading and should increase in value until at full right it is at 710 or -710.

Do the readings that we saw where it is zero or 1424 when at center, 610 at far left turn and 830 at far right turn?
Or, are either scenario that BNL explained the way it should read on AlfaOBD?