Steering wheel jerks when trying to make a slight right steering adjustment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
I have a 2015 RAM 1500 with about 164500 miles. What I've noticed driving recently is when merging into the right lane or following a right curve on the interstate, the steering wheel will turn a very small bit, like possibly 10 degrees. After that 10 degrees is a bunch of resistance, and when I overcome the resistance, the steering wheel jerks like 25 degrees. The jerk in the steering is only really noticeable at higher speeds, mostly above 40 mph. It is not noticeable when making a proper right turn, such as turning onto a street.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you get a steering wheel symbol light up on the dash? To me, it soundsike a symptom of the electronic steering rack going bad. There's a possibility it may just need a steering angle reset. There are recalls on them, so you'd have to crawl under the truck and verify the part number on the tag and see it crosses up with one of the recalled part numbers. If it does end up being the rack, they are in short supply (and expensive through the dealer). I bought one through Rockauto (rebuilt) for much cheaper. Installation really only takes about 1-1.5 hours plus you'll need an alignment.

OP
OP
B

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
Do you get a steering wheel symbol light up on the dash? To me, it soundsike a symptom of the electronic steering rack going bad. There's a possibility it may just need a steering angle reset. There are recalls on them, so you'd have to crawl under the truck and verify the part number on the tag and see it crosses up with one of the recalled part numbers. If it does end up being the rack, they are in short supply (and expensive through the dealer). I bought one through Rockauto (rebuilt) for much cheaper. Installation really only takes about 1-1.5 hours plus you'll need an alignment.
My power steering has been dead since 150k miles. And yeah, it has the flashing steering wheel light on the cluster. I decided against replacing the rack for the time being due to the cost and the fact I can steer my truck, though the jerking on a slight right is a safety issue and I'd want to get that fixed.

I actually replaced a perfectly good clockspring and steering angle position sensor because of how soon power steering failed after replacing the original clock spring. Power steering failed on the 20 mile trip to Auto Zone to return the steering wheel puller and has been out since. Luckily I wasn't turning when it decided to go.

Attachments

• 20220308_225207.jpg
    20220308_225207.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 6

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My power steering has been dead since 150k miles. And yeah, it has the flashing steering wheel light on the cluster. I decided against replacing the rack for the time being due to the cost and the fact I can steer my truck, though the jerking on a slight right is a safety issue and I'd want to get that fixed.

I actually replaced a perfectly good clockspring and steering angle position sensor because of how soon power steering failed after replacing the original clock spring. Power steering failed on the 20 mile trip to Auto Zone to return the steering wheel puller and has been out since. Luckily I wasn't turning when it decided to go.
Rockauto has/had a rebuilt rack for about 550 after core charge. I'm not sure how you manage to steer yours with no power steering. Mine was so bad that it felt like it was fighting against me when trying to make turns. It was absolutely dreadful. I've driven tractors and such that had failed power steering or lacked power steering and I'd gladly drive those over my truck. But, it sounds like the symptom you're having is in regards to the steering rack. Maybe try unplugging the main power wire off the fuse to see if it keeps it from twitching the steering.

OP
OP
B

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
Rockauto has/had a rebuilt rack for about 550 after core charge. I'm not sure how you manage to steer yours with no power steering. Mine was so bad that it felt like it was fighting against me when trying to make turns. It was absolutely dreadful. I've driven tractors and such that had failed power steering or lacked power steering and I'd gladly drive those over my truck. But, it sounds like the symptom you're having is in regards to the steering rack. Maybe try unplugging the main power wire off the fuse to see if it keeps it from twitching the steering.
I unplugged the power terminal that goes to the EPS fuse, and it seemed to fix the jerking. However, the truck really does not like how I did that. The service power steering dings on sharper turns instead of just once when I start the truck.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Isn't it amazing that in a vehicle with no power steering, it is very easy to steer once you are moving, BUT, in a vehicle with power steering that goes out, it is like trying to wrestle a steer.

OP
OP
B

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
Isn't it amazing that in a vehicle with no power steering, it is very easy to steer once you are moving, BUT, in a vehicle with power steering that goes out, it is like trying to wrestle a steer.
I'd imagine the steering rack on a vehicle without power steering is designed to be operated without it. It also helps on that those older trucks and cars had large and thin steering wheels. Pretty much any modern vehicle, even the cheapest of the cheap Nissan Versas, have power steering and are designed to be operated with power steering.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd imagine the steering rack on a vehicle without power steering is designed to be operated without it. It also helps on that those older trucks and cars had large and thin steering wheels. Pretty much any modern vehicle, even the cheapest of the cheap Nissan Versas, have power steering and are designed to be operated with power steering.
To a point, I've driven vehicles that had power steering and lost it either because of a belt of leak. Those were no where near as hard as my ram was when the rack went bad. It's almost like the motor was fighting you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357