Stock air box vs aftermarket high flow filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So my 2005 5.9 2500 came with a lot of performance upgrades. Edge tuner with CTS2, 4 inch exhaust with the the 6 inch tip, 8 inch intake pipe with conical air filter, shift computer, etc... I don't use any of this stuff except for the backup camera I hooked up to the CTS2 and the gauge display.

I don't haul anything, I don't race it or beat it, or even "test/verify" current performance if you get my meaning.

The intake pipe is like a megaphone on the turbo. When you are driving, the whistle of the turbo is ever present. And while it's seriously cool, It's on this side of annoying inside the cab.

I found a replacement stock airbox assembly and I'm planning to "downgrade" to the stock system, to see if that reduces the sound of the turbo.

Considering my driving style (sedate), do you think I will feel any difference taking in town trips back and forth to Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards?

Alternatively, do you think I will have reduced turbo whine in the cabin?

I'll let you know my experience, but interested in your opinions.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 2005 5.9 2500 came with a lot of performance upgrades. Edge tuner with CTS2, 4 inch exhaust with the the 6 inch tip, 8 inch intake pipe with conical air filter, shift computer, etc... I don't use any of this stuff except for the backup camera I hooked up to the CTS2 and the gauge display.

I don't haul anything, I don't race it or beat it, or even "test/verify" current performance if you get my meaning.

The intake pipe is like a megaphone on the turbo. When you are driving, the whistle of the turbo is ever present. And while it's seriously cool, It's on this side of annoying inside the cab.

I found a replacement stock airbox assembly and I'm planning to "downgrade" to the stock system, to see if that reduces the sound of the turbo.

Considering my driving style (sedate), do you think I will feel any difference taking in town trips back and forth to Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards?

Alternatively, do you think I will have reduced turbo whine in the cabin?

I'll let you know my experience, but interested in your opinions.
I seriously doubt you'll notice any difference in performance at all and it should cut down on the turbo whistle a good bit too since you're going back to a closed system. If the conical air filter was just sucking in hot engine air from under the hood you would more than likely gain performance since the factory system pulls air in from the outside. 99% of air intakes are just smoke and mirrors that don't do anything but make your wallet lighter with the exception of the Vararam and that's actually for the Hemi.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only thing I can say is the turbo stock? If not the intake may not fit properly and may need some hardware to adapt it to the airbox. Closed style boxes are most definitely quieter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You won't notice any difference performance wise. Wiith this being a turbo diesel the engine relies on psi of boost to run, the few tenths of an inch in pressure drop an aftermarket filter gives you doesn't mean anything. A naturally aspirated engine it can make a difference but not a forced induction diesel.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well, I found an air box assembly, everything, from an 04 for 35 bucks. It looks like the pictures in the 05 service manual, but there is no way it's going to fit. The inlet was too big to fit the guard in the fender, the locating pegs on the bottom would not mate up with the battery box grommets, and even when I was able wedge it in to do a mock up, no way would the hood have closed without hitting the airbox lid. I either need a lower profile airbox, or a higher profile hood. So now looking for an 05 airbox to see the difference.

Last edited: