Stock jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is a great discussion, never had to change a tire on a truck this large. Trying to find the best way to get this done, I ain't 25yrs old anymore! I plan to move the spare to the bed of the truck as well, since I want to eventually put larger tires on the truck anyway.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jack looks fine. One of these days afta Xmas, I got a few mods to do and need to get a jack also. Also, I always carry a breaker bar in the truck with 22 MM socket (deep 6 point). A lot easier to break bolts on tires. And, FWIW I also have a torque wrench in the truck set to 130 ft/lbs which is the setting for the lugs, just saying.....

A couple of years ago, I had a flat on my work truck (F150 XL), It was 0300 and wet and raining. Tried that scissors joke, took forever. DID not help that the lugs were hammered on, Took (2) of us jumping on bar to break lugs. And a regular standard floor jack will not lift a truck high enough. That combo jack looks real promising.

Added: When I had MY 19 Ram in for MX and tire rotation, I told the SA no hammering on lugs. I made him get mechanic to torque with wrench to 130 ft lbs, which is OEM standard. No more of that jumping up and down on a breaker bar for me, just saying... :Rant:

Last edited:

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well the High lift will be easy to mount in the bed, same with the tire and spare...sounds like I'm going to need a tool box or something to store all this equipment (like a bottle jack/jackstand) since I don't have RAM boxes! Anyone mounted something that doesn't take up too much bed space but lets you store equipment? Thought about the bed "drawers" system that basically fills the bed but you can still put 2000lbs on it ( I need to put 1500lbs on it about once a month), but afraid of the lack of "depth" you are left with. But the drawers look VERY handy! Wasn't planning on a bed cover, but that won't work if I mount the spare "upright"...which is also why I haven't bothered with the drawer system.
Trying to get this all set in my mind before purchasing stuff.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The 6,000lb Home Depot PowerBuilt jack specs are:
Lifts and supports with 6000 pound capacity and lift range of 11" to 21"

The 4,000lb model specs are:
Lifts and supports with 4000 pound capacity and lift range of 8-5/8" to 18-5/8"

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
KIMG0477.jpg Just had one of a pair of recently purchased 6 ton jack stands which was under the rear axle of my Power Wagon slip off the 2nd tooth that was holding the rear weight of the truck. No signs of why the latch mechanism failed to hold until I took a closer look at the casting of the second tooth. The one on the other side held firm. Had the tires off and it suddenly collapsed after holding it up for approximately an hour. Dropped several inches to the bottom of the extension of which the bottom hit the concrete. I was about 40 feet from it. Harbor Freight Pittsburgh. Noticed that it has very shallow teeth as compared to another brand of 6 ton stand that I have used for years. Also noticed that the second tooth is missing part of the tooth, but it is still all covered by the factory black paint. So it came that way. I am using the Pittsburgh 12 ton jack stands in the front under the two compatibility beams. Deep teeth on those and have had no issues with them. Latches holding firm.

Just be aware of the quality of the jacks and jack stands that you use. I am chucking the Pittsburgh 6 ton jack stands for safety reasons due to the shallow teeth and the failure.

KIMG0475.jpg

Last edited:

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
Hope nothing got damaged. Could have been worse if you were under it. That sucks

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Nothing damaged.

Ordered a pair of Torin Big Red double lock 6 ton jack stands. Safer with both a pin and the ratchet locking mechanisms.

Some other lucky Harbor Freight customer posted this 15 second YouTube.

Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I always carry a ..... torque wrench in the truck set to 130 ft/lbs

FYI - If it's a clicker-type torque wrench, it should always be returned to zero after using. It relies on a spring and if that spring is under constant tension, it loses it's accuracy.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI - If it's a clicker-type torque wrench, it should always be returned to zero after using. It relies on a spring and if that spring is under constant tension, it loses it's accuracy.

Hmmmm, never had that issue with a wrench, but it is a micro meter wrench, that being said, hmmm, maybe I just go and set to "zero" just in case... U neva know, LOL...

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i used the stock one to open a crushed drainage tile. Much to my disbelief it worked perfectly.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Hmmmm, never had that issue with a wrench, but it is a micro meter wrench, that being said, hmmm, maybe I just go and set to "zero" just in case... U neva know, LOL...

Actually, I somewhat mis-stated that. You don't want to go to absolute "zero"....More like a few pounds positive. Most torque wrench scales won't go down to zero, so just to where the scale stops.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this past weekend I had a flat (for the first time ever!). I was 300 miles from home in the cold and rain. Of course, it didn't happen with the early October heat wave. It waited until the first wet cold front. And on a Sunday when everything is closed. Anyway...

I only had the factory jack, and that thing scares the crap out of me. I understand why they call those little scissor jacks "widow makers". I was okay on the rear axle but the manual said mount up on the control arm up front, and let me say, that was totally rickety and unstable. (The flat was on the front so I moved the rear tire up and put the spare on the rear, hence the two tire changes.)

If I remained warm and dry during the tire changes, which I didn't, I'd still call that jack questionable.

Anyway, I'm looking for something better. This seems to be Amazon's best seller (https://amzn.to/2NV3sZW) but I don't know if its the best for our truck. Only one way to find out, absent of anyone else's experience...

(Edit: I have a regular old 1500. Sorry if your Power Wagon jacks are different. I just realized my search for better jacks sent me into this forum :/ )

This is the jack I bought to keep in my truck but I have not used it yet. Just pulled it out of the box to check for leaks and to operate it once without load.

The jack comes with a fairly long warranty (2 years?) and it is a return to dealer for exchange deal. My local Tractor Supply stocks this at a higher price than Amazon The store would not price match Amazon but TSC.com would and let you pick it up in store.

Edit: I just noticed that Amazon has pulled their trick of making this item an "Amazon Prime exclusive". That may kill the price match deal. TSC usually runs 15% off for veterans on 4th of July and Veteran's Day. If you qualify that would make the price close to Amazon's and it would be a local pickup.

Last edited:

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
Thats what I use at work on our snow cat. The pin makes me feel better being under a 5 ton machine.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thats what I use at work on our snow cat. The pin makes me feel better being under a 5 ton machine.
On the ratchet style jack stands that I recently ordered the pin didn't add any additional cost as to the comparable ones without it. Jack stands are like parachutes, either they work with 5 star reliability or when they don't, there's no complaints.

Last edited: