strange leak....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elvira

Reaction score
Wrong answer. When the hydraulcs fail you have NO BRAKES PERIOD. there's no mechanical that exists short of the parking brake unless you're referring to OP's front bumper hitting the vehicle in front of them ( or worse someone standing there). If you keep driving waiting on the part check the brake fluid & keep it full.
You are wrong, look at the schematics of a master cyl...the plunger eventually reaches a mechanical point to engage brakes. They have a dual system just for this reason. Of course you would not drive like this, but in the case of a leak, you do have enough to stop. That is why the system has 2 hydraulic systems incorporated. Internally in the master cyl the mechanical point ensures pressure to half the system.

United States Patent Ofitice 3,065,439 Patented Dec. 4, 1962 3,tl66,48 DUAL HYBRAULHQ BRAKE YSTEhd Mctzi R. .lohnsun, 3635 E. Esquire Ave, Cudahy, Wis. Fiied l t lay 8, 1961, Ser. No, 108,401 1 carat. ct. st 4.s

This invention relates to a novel and useful dual hydraulic brake system and more particularly to a dual hydraulic brake system adapted to enable two of the hydraulic brakes of a four wheeled vehicle to remain operative after a rupture or leak has developed in the hydraulic brake system servicing the other two hydraulic brakes. A still further object of this invention is to provide a means whereby even a portion of the braking system having a slow leak therein may be maintained operative for short periods of time.
A further object of this invention is to provide a dual hydraulic brake system which will separately control the braking of the forward pair of wheel brakes and the rear pair of wheel brakes so that in the event the braking system servicing either pair of these brakes is rendered inoperative, the remaining pair of wheel brakes will be capable of evenly distributing the braking power effected thereby to both sides of the vehicle, whereby the vehicle may be readily brought to a safe stop.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You are wrong, look at the schematics of a master cyl...the plunger eventually reaches a mechanical point to engage brakes. They have a dual system just for this reason. Of course you would not drive like this, but in the case of a leak, you do have enough to stop. That is why the system has 2 hydraulic systems incorporated. Internally in the master cyl the mechanical point ensures pressure to half the system.

United States Patent Ofitice 3,065,439 Patented Dec. 4, 1962 3,tl66,48 DUAL HYBRAULHQ BRAKE YSTEhd Mctzi R. .lohnsun, 3635 E. Esquire Ave, Cudahy, Wis. Fiied l t lay 8, 1961, Ser. No, 108,401 1 carat. ct. st 4.s

This invention relates to a novel and useful dual hydraulic brake system and more particularly to a dual hydraulic brake system adapted to enable two of the hydraulic brakes of a four wheeled vehicle to remain operative after a rupture or leak has developed in the hydraulic brake system servicing the other two hydraulic brakes. A still further object of this invention is to provide a means whereby even a portion of the braking system having a slow leak therein may be maintained operative for short periods of time.
A further object of this invention is to provide a dual hydraulic brake system which will separately control the braking of the forward pair of wheel brakes and the rear pair of wheel brakes so that in the event the braking system servicing either pair of these brakes is rendered inoperative, the remaining pair of wheel brakes will be capable of evenly distributing the braking power effected thereby to both sides of the vehicle, whereby the vehicle may be readily brought to a safe stop.
That's assuming 1/2 of the system remains working. I have seen dual mastercylinders fail pedal to the floor with no braking. Usually pumping them results in the brakes working which may be enough to prevent an accident IF you manage to pump them up before hitting whatever is in front of you. To say that during a hydraulic failure you will always have some braking is wrong.

OP
OP
L

Livinthedream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an extended Mopar warranty so it’s covered.. I just had cancer surgery so I am not driving much but the “super backorder “ worries me…..

mark

OP
OP
L

Livinthedream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

just an update.. after being told the booster was on a “super backorder “ I called Ram Care and they were able to expedite the part to the dealer in a week. The were very good to work with and conta me several times to keep me updated.. the overall bill was around 1100.00 and my Mopar Extended Warranty covered it all except for 100.00 copay. One more repair like this and it will have paid for itself…