Stuck in Limp Mode - Bad Transmission Module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Howell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do I get out of limp mode?

I recently bought a 2001 Ram 1500 with 197k for $850 with tranny issues, otherwise very clean. It wouldn't shift out of 3rd, so I replaced the solenoid and transducer and filter. I did not disconnect the battery, and I did turn the ignition on while the pan was off. Now I have a CEL and am stuck in limp mode.

I overfilled it by a quart, so that probably doesn't help.

I took it to AutoZone and cleared the codes, but they came right back each time I cleared the codes. The codes are (1) P1762 Governor pressure sensor offset improper voltage & (2) P1763 Governor pressure sensor voltage to high.

I also disconnected the negative terminal from the battery, turned on the headlights and held the brakes down for 60 seconds.

Could the parts be bad? I'm sure I reconnected both connectors to the solenoid and transducer. Bad transmission module?

Thanks for any advice!

OP
OP
M

Mark Howell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm dropping the pan again and will replace the two new parts (shift solenoid and output sensor) again. This time I'll first disconnect both battery cables, turn the headlights on, push the brake pedal for 30 seconds, and touch the positive and negative cables together momentarily to bleed off any residual electrical charge in the system.