Stupid question - what is this thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Crawled under last night for an unrelated issue and found this. Seems to be leaking engine oil everywhere, as confirmed by my dipstick. What is it though, it's clear back between my transfer case and gas tank. I want to fix/replace it, but I need to know what it is first.

IMG-5649.jpgIMG-5650.jpg

OP
OP
rzr6-4

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
looks like an evap canister.

Ok, I suppose that tells me most of what I needed, but why would there be oil there? You can see it dripping off in the pic, it that supposed to be there?

FYI I know nothing about evap systems.

Edit: Upon further research on another forum about a totally different vehicle, it could be a carbon/fuel/14yr old sludge mixture and not actually oil but I would still be open to your thoughts.

.....but if it's not oil, then why is my oil level low.....

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
it is the EVAP/Charcoal Cannister

Please tell me that you just bought this vehicle, or that it belongs to a relative or friend

The Driver of that vehicle, has a bad habit of Over filling the Fuel Tank, in other words, they TOP OFF too often

That gunk is Fuel & Charcoal bits that have broken down into slush.
Chances are good that, the Fuel Nozzle shuts off several times when filling the fuel tank.

1697781592855.png

1697781874667.png

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I suppose that tells me most of what I needed, but why would there be oil there? You can see it dripping off in the pic, it that supposed to be there?

FYI I know nothing about evap systems.

Edit: Upon further research on another forum about a totally different vehicle, it could be a carbon/fuel/14yr old sludge mixture and not actually oil but I would still be open to your thoughts.

.....but if it's not oil, then why is my oil level low.....
Think you nailed it. Probably not oil but a mixture of fuel and dirt.

Why is your oil low? Not sure really. first time it's ever been low between changes? My experience with low oil typically results from oil blowing through the crank case vent back into the intake or bad piston rings or valve seats. Just add more. It will be fine.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What condition is the PCV. valve it, that could cause you to use engine oil

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is the EVAP/Charcoal Cannister

Please tell me that you just bought this vehicle, or that it belongs to a relative or friend

The Driver of that vehicle, has a bad habit of Over filling the Fuel Tank, in other words, they TOP OFF too often

That gunk is Fuel & Charcoal bits that have broken down into slush.
Chances are good that, the Fuel Nozzle shuts off several times when filling the fuel tank.
To expand on this a little more, when you continue adding fuel even after the pump has automatically shut off, you start filling the filler neck leading to the fuel tank. The neck has hoses that connect to this charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is designed to compensate for gas expansion in the tank by venting to the atmosphere and filtering the fuel vapors and also allow air to be drawn in (during gas tank contraction). It doesn't react well to liquid fuel. I'm surprised this hasn't triggered a check engine light indicating an issue with emissions equipment. They are very easy to replace with hand tools. I would replace it given the condition that it's in. And make a note near the gas cap that reads "DO NOT TOP OFF!" :)

Captain Bart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
Think you nailed it. Probably not oil but a mixture of fuel and dirt.

Why is your oil low? Not sure really. first time it's ever been low between changes? My experience with low oil typically results from oil blowing through the crank case vent back into the intake or bad piston rings or valve seats. Just add more. It will be fine.
Engine oil, and the fuel/emission system are completely and utterly mutually exclusive.

OP
OP
rzr6-4

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What condition is the PCV. valve it, that could cause you to use engine oil

I have zero idea. I think the 1500s have them but I've seen mixed claims on the 2500s, and I don't know what it looks like or where it would be to check.

To expand on this a little more, when you continue adding fuel even after the pump has automatically shut off, you start filling the filler neck leading to the fuel tank. The neck has hoses that connect to this charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is designed to compensate for gas expansion in the tank by venting to the atmosphere and filtering the fuel vapors and also allow air to be drawn in (during gas tank contraction). It doesn't react well to liquid fuel. I'm surprised this hasn't triggered a check engine light indicating an issue with emissions equipment. They are very easy to replace with hand tools. I would replace it given the condition that it's in. And make a note near the gas cap that reads "DO NOT TOP OFF!" :)

I used to fill the tank all the way up so I certainly didn't help, but in my defense it already had a code when I bought it. It's $300 for a new canister which I don't really want to do so will look into some alternative routes but I may have to eventually.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On 6.4 I believe passenger side rear of engine, need to remove cover to see PCV valve.

Regarding canister, if your vehicle fills without clicking off then stop overfilling and continue on. But you really do want to replace if it is actually gas/gunk because it could be a problem if sparks ever fly from chains dragging or something.