Subwoofer Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just bought my first Dodge RAM last month. Have been a long time F150 owner (20 years!). Really liking the 2019 RAM styling and bought a Limited. It has the Harmon Kardon premium audio and lots of speakers, as is well known. The bass is okay-ish but I like some extra punch in my sound. The MTX Thunderforms aren't yet available for the 2019 model. Has anyone put a sub in the 2019s? As large as the RAM is in the Limited edition, it seems that space for a good sized sub is, uh, limited. Looking for suggestions. I would want 10 inch or preferably 12 inch, amplified. Powers down with truck turned off. Connects easily without chopping up the truck. Etc.

kballousr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought mine Saturday and have the same thought. Doing some research. I'll check back and let you know what I find and compare to what you find.. Lots of room to work with.

Leif_Ram2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the same boat... Subscribing to the thread. Truck should be here around Christmas.

Leif_Ram2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the same boat... Subscribing to the thread. Truck should be here around Christmas.

OP
OP
Dennis Younker
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Going to be making a bunch of measurements, and digging behind the rear seat where the existing sub is located this weekend. Another forum suggests stuffing the sub box with poly to increase the bass a bit. Others concur. The sub is slightly tricky to get to but I'm sure I will find it.

Also in that forum, it is suggested to turn off surround sound. I did and noticed a marked improvement, although still not to where I'd like.

Crutchfield suggests the JL ACP108LG-W3v3 at this point (until we see what MTX comes up with) but this unit will protrude out from under the rear seat by more than I'd like. Ugh. I noticed there is some sort of decorate panel under the seat though and it's removable. Going to pull that and make more measurements Saturday or Sunday. Perhaps that will buy me enough room for the JL.

Truckin1

Reaction score
Ram Year
On Order: 2019 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi (non e-touque)
JL is planning a Stealth Box for the 2019 1500 Ram's...Hopefully we will get more information over the next couple of months with a release date (HOPEFULLY!) sometime later in 2019. Just one of the mods I am planning :)

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JL is planning a Stealth Box for the 2019 1500 Ram's...Hopefully we will get more information over the next couple of months with a release date (HOPEFULLY!) sometime later in 2019. Just one of the mods I am planning :)

Just curious where you heard this from?

OP
OP
Dennis Younker
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The TSB update (https://www.dropbox.com/s/firjgvwsgafwd2b/Amplifier Enhancement.pdf?dl=0) to the amp helped immensely but I am still craving more bass. So, I pulled the trigger today and ordered a sub box from Supercrewsound.com. They have boxes for the 2019s and you can go with 8 or 10 inch cut outs. I went with 10's and ordered a pair of 10 inch subs and a healthy amp. All parts should be here in time for me to do the install weekend after next. Looking forward to more thump. :)

OP
OP
Dennis Younker
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Alright, here's the deal. I decided to go with the Supercrewsound sub box for the 2019 RAM. I went with 10 inch subs. If you buy from Supercrewsound, be sure to specify which brand/model sub you will install. They are NOT all created equal! I went with a model of Pioneer that got good reviews on some sites that I respect. They are oversized compared to normal 10 inch subs and thus require a slightly larger hole. Supercrewsound will cut the holes to match your subs if you tell them what you will be installing. I got the box, subs, and grills installed this afternoon but could not find the grommets in the firewall that some have told me about so as to run the DC power cable for the new amp. Since I was running out of time for the day, I finished up for now by getting to the factory sub behind the rear seat, disconnecting the speaker cable and running an extension to my new sub box. So, factory sub to the new dual 10 inch subs under the rear seat.

Holy cow! They sound great! If I didn't already have the amp, I might just go like this. But since I do, I'll add the amp once I locate the grommet in the firewall. Meantime, what an improvement!

OP
OP
Dennis Younker
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
In the end, I did not stick with the factory amp. There was considerable clipping with my new dual sub setup. So I installed the Pioneer amp that I purchased and all is well. I have TONS of bass now. I did find the factory grommet as well and ran the new power cable purchased on Amazon through it. Very clean install, and now I have amazing sound.

sub5.jpg

kevinc32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the end, I did not stick with the factory amp. There was considerable clipping with my new dual sub setup. So I installed the Pioneer amp that I purchased and all is well. I have TONS of bass now. I did find the factory grommet as well and ran the new power cable purchased on Amazon through it. Very clean install, and now I have amazing sound.

View attachment 166465
That looks great. Does the box interfere with the in floor storage?

OP
OP
Dennis Younker
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Absolutely it does. There is no storage under the rear seat once I put this sub box in. That was fine with me because I only had my tie downs under there and I moved them to under the front passenger seat.

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How difficult was it to connect an amp into the HK sound system?