Supercharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We are still dealing with some software gremlins but overall its running well. Still taking it easy for the break-in. Plan to have it back to the tuner next week for the final intake setup and tune. Here is their post on the truck. I'll get some video this week when I can. May wait for the final tune though so you guys can see the final product. Truck is a beast!

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Final tuning is scheduled for Tuesday. I passed 500 miles and changed out the break-in oil for synthetic. Got on the throttle a little today and threw the SC belt breaking the stock belt tensioner. Looking at a 10 rib setup from the hellcat motor, or custom designed 2 belt setup. As we suspected the single 6 rib sucks. Dual with a dedicated 8 or 10 rib for the SC is the goal. More to come.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does the harrop kit not come with any extra pullies for the belt setup?

There’s nothing wrong with the 6 rib setup for that style blower as long as there’s enough rap around the blower. The whipple kits use the 6 rib setup and a extra pulley to ensure there’s enough rap around the blower pulley.

I haven’t heard of anyone having that issue except on procharger setups. Had my whipple for almost 3 years now without any belt issues.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does the harrop kit not come with any extra pullies for the belt setup?

There’s nothing wrong with the 6 rib setup for that style blower as long as there’s enough rap around the blower. The whipple kits use the 6 rib setup and a extra pulley to ensure there’s enough rap around the blower pulley.

I haven’t heard of anyone having that issue except on procharger setups. Had my whipple for almost 3 years now without any belt issues.

Probably fine for the base setup (6-8 PSI). But when you are shooting for 15-20 PSI and 800-1000 WHP the 6-rib is not nearly enough.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Probably fine for the base setup (6-8 PSI). But when you are shooting for 15-20 PSI and 800-1000 WHP the 6-rib is not nearly enough.

Very true but I don’t think hes going anywhere near 15psi. The harrop kit I believe is only 5-6psi with the stock pulley. So if it’s chucking the belt at only 5-6psi there’s an issue that I don’t think you can blame on the stock pulley setup.

Im not 100% certain but I believe Moes 422 with a whipple that’s making close to a 1000hp is still on the 6 rib setup.

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is still at the tuner for the final tune. Should have it back today. I believe the target is mid teens for boost. Stock 6 rib is being used with an idler pulley to get maximum pulley wrap. Since its a rather large pulley we may be ok.

The issue I was having (we theorize) is the belt was too tight and the tensioner made contact with the crank pulley which exploded the tensioner pulley. It was replaced with a tensioner from a Red Eye (more spring tension) which should help and/or fix belt slip.

The stock Harrop kit does not include a stronger tensioner. Not sure about Whipple.

Will post more when I get the truck back this PM (I hope). LOL.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The whipple kit uses the stock tensioner but adds an adjustable pulley to help add tension. Does the harrop kit have anything like that?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Nice setup!!!!

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The whipple kit uses the stock tensioner but adds an adjustable pulley to help add tension. Does the harrop kit have anything like that?

Yes. Difficult to see but the idler pulley is just above the water pump pulley (left of stock pulley).

20200211_165124.jpg

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s a decent amount of wrap around the supercharger pulley. Pretty similar to the whipple setup. I know when I was putting the belt on mine it was a fight cause it was so tight.

Is that the ATI dampener? Is it the same size as the stock? If it’s bigger that could explain why the tensioner contacted it and blew the belt off.

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A quick update. We ran the truck on the dyno and put down a little over 500 hp at the wheels with only 6 lbs of boost and around 5000 rpms when we started to run out of fuel. There is still plenty left. No belt slip probably because of the upgraded tensioner so we will keep the 6 rib for now to see how far it gets us. Working on either a boost-a-pump or in-tank replacement to meet fuel demands. All things we knew was going to happen so we just need to react.

Getting closer.

Last edited:

Travis CALLAWAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A quick update. We ran the truck on the dyno and put down a little over 500 hp at the wheels with only 6 lbs of boost and around 5000 rpms when we started to run out of fuel. There is still plenty left. No belt slip probably because of the upgraded tensioner so we will keep the 6 rib for now to see how far it gets us. Working on either a boost-a-pump or in-tank replacement to meet fuel demands. All things we knew was going to happen so we just need to react.

Getting closer.

What injectors are you using? When I put on my procharger with custom tune we had to go larger inkjectors because the 39lb procharger ones were maxing out at 5500 rpm. So we went with hellcat injectors because of cost and drop in. The stock pump was only dropping to 50psi at 7 psi boost and 6000 rpm.

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are aware the Hellcat injectors have an angled spray pattern that doesn't match your vehicles spray patterns?
Pretty huge risk with your motor potentially.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
image.jpg Very nice I have a procharger 5k miles,do you have the 8hp70 or 90 I’m more then a little worried about frying $4k

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What injectors are you using? When I put on my procharger with custom tune we had to go larger inkjectors because the 39lb procharger ones were maxing out at 5500 rpm. So we went with hellcat injectors because of cost and drop in. The stock pump was only dropping to 50psi at 7 psi boost and 6000 rpm.
The D1 6lb kit I got had plugs and injectors,maf

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
View attachment 199394 Very nice I have a procharger 5k miles,do you have the 8hp70 or 90 I’m more then a little worried about frying $4k

How much boost you running? Also as long as you keep the torque management in place for the transmission, it should be fine. Even with the paramount 8 speeds I believe they recommend to leave torque management enabled.

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little update. Had a wedding to attend little over a week ago down in Mississippi and against my inner voice telling me not to take the truck I did anyways. On my way home just cruising on the highway I blew 2 fuel injector orings, and fuel leaked all over the freaking place. Luckily I do not have cats so fuel didn't ignite. Towed off highway and rented car to get me home as the local place could not fix (nor would I want them to). Truck is still down in Tennessee waiting for a carrier to ship it back to my tuner to fix the issue. **** happens.

First inspection tells us the tabs on the fuel rail were welded on incorrectly and not perpendicular to the injector center-line causing the orings to eventually blow out. Hope this doesn't' come to a finger pointing issue.

For anyone wanting to mod a truck to the extent I have - be ready to be your own warranty AND repair station.

20200315_145935.jpg

20200315_160125.jpg

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s the biggest thing I try to tell people when they ask me about doing big mods like forced induction. The initial price is always an issue but I tell them to almost expect issues down the line and plan for repairs. That way if it happens they’re not surprised and hopefully have money set aside for it.

Sorry to hear about your issues, seems like almost one thing after another with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.