Supercharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought I'd give an update.

PCM was swapped but didn't fix the issue. We then replaced the TIPM module and it appears to have fixed the NO BUS issue. However, the P2173 code still existed and put the truck into limp mode (dangerous on the highway).

Out of shear frustration I ordered a tuning class from The Tuning School. Spent the last 3 weeks reading, breathing, eating and sh*tting nothing but tuning. Spent HOURS reading all I can on tuning theory, etc on HP Tuners forum board, which by the way houses some extremely good tuners (and some weekend warriors so be careful who you listen to). I then took this project on.

End result - I fixed the P2173 error. Largest change was to enable Sensed Map instead of allowing the PCM to assume what the manifold pressure should be instead of what it actually is. This required a complete revamp of the VE tables, and other torque management stuff. Also found a number of other settings that were off / not right from displacement, VVT cam angles, spark, etc. All of these have multiple tables for PT, WOT, PT with VVT, Start Up tables, blah blah blah. Most of these were not adjusted correctly which caused a huge swing in timing. In addition, some of the tables were never resized for boost so things stopped at 1KPa or 1g aircharge (which is fine for a NA car but not for FI). An updated 2 bar map was installed but many tables were not resized to use it. Also got some of the idle surge in P/N and especially while in drive handled, and the truck is now running extremely well around 776 rpms (nice low idle). This was frustrating because the tuner had the idle up high around 850 to cover up some of the stumbling issues because of a poorly done tune, and with a stock torque converter it was 'driving' the truck while in parking lots or slow maneuvers.

So I'm not trashing the tuner. I think he does very well the stuff he does every day (chargers & challengers) as they are very common. The 2019 Ram uses the newer GPEC2A OS so its somewhat different and has lots of torque management tables and drive modes that are not used in the 2wd variants. It also takes a HUGE amount of time to get things dialed in with seat time driving the truck, and when your main goal is to make money (and not have to rebuild motors because of a manufacture's faulty part) you can spend the time to find tune it and then use what you did on this truck on the next project.

Almost done with drivability & part throttle tuning. Next is to work on WOT and spark tables, and then finally to the dyno to hone in the spark and VVT cam settings, and see what this beast can do. Currently though it is running way above my expectations. Trade with a TRX???? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olive Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Issues like this is why I'm so hesitant to pull the trigger on going FI with my truck. I guess the systems are just too new and tuners haven't really had the time to wrap their heads around it.

Good job with taking it on by yourself pushing to the finish line.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you gonna get a Dana 60 rear ended or did you already? Are you pricing out a trx tranny? 8hp95? Cause I’m sure you gonna have a lot of fun burning out the tranny in there now.

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you gonna get a Dana 60 rear ended or did you already? Are you pricing out a trx tranny? 8hp95? Cause I’m sure you gonna have a lot of fun burning out the tranny in there now.

IMO, the stock ZF8HP75 is pretty stout transmission. I've increased line pressure along with tweaked scheduling and timing to compensate for the increased torque to create a clean fast shift with minimum slippage. This will reduce clutch wear from a stock transmission that has sloppy/slow shifts. I also don't plan on tracking the truck so no slicks. This will reduce the shock load and internal stress on input/outshafts as opposed to what the Trackhawk and other vehicles are built to sustain. The transmission will make it to the scene of the failure. If/when it fails I'll address it. Building it before is senseless IMO. Drive it till it breaks. If it makes it 5k, 10k or more miles those are miles I got for free. If it doesn't fail while I own the truck......I'm the wiser. :)

As for the axles I'm not jumping the truck or tracking it like I said above. Stock axles are fine.

Concept of the truck is for daily drivability, and the torque that pours out when you want to pass or climb a grade can give someone a chubby. LOL That and being able to pull a trailer in 8th without downshifting.....ever. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally got on the dyno for some tuning and of course another setback. Injectors are running near 85% just over 5k rpms so new injectors are ordered. Original build was the stroked 5.7 so we used Redeye injectors which would be fine...until we went with the 426 build. Good news is we made 550hp at the wheels at just over 5k rpms and just under 6psi with very mild timing. Curious what 6500 and 9psi will yield with proper fueling and tweaked timing. :)

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is at the tune shop now getting 1050 injectors and wot tuning on the dyno. Knowing your truck is being strapped down, whipped and raptured kind of got me all excited. I need help. LOL

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Made just under 600 wheel on Mustang Dyno but running out of fuel now that we have the larger injectors. Fuel pressure drop even with boost-a-pump is not enough to keep up so we ordered a new Walbro in-tank pump. Kind of knew this would be a limitation at some point but hoped we'd get by.

Also looking at single 8 rib belt system as the 6 rib is showing some slip. Dedicated 10 rib is really not an option as this requires pushing the pully further out on SC snout which is bad for bearing life. Don't want to replace SC with jack-shaft style, etc. Goal is 700+ rwhp on Mustang Dyno. Running about 9psi and thinking 14 or 15psi will get us there. Ordering some different size pullies with new setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure the Trx is my thing. I don’t do any off-roading at all. But lots of horsepower just sounds so so fun.

Agree 100%. The child inside me says the TRX is dope but from a usefulness perspective I'd prefer a street truck (TR version that is lowered for the street). I just can't give up my air suspension, longer bed and better tow ratings over the TRX. I use my truck as a daily driver not some weekend only garage queen. Also don't understand how people can take a near 100k vehicle like this offroad but everyone has their own taste so I respect that. No judgement.

Something about building your own ride that is so special.....even though I'm too freaking old and sore to do the work myself anymore and need to partner with a tune shop. Oh the shame..... LOL

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is up for sale. If I get what I want she goes. If not I'll have a true 2nd project truck as I've got a diesel on order. :)

To help sell it I took a video. Thought I'd share. Enjoy.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know you were having trouble with the tuning for a while. How did you get it all resolved?

OP
OP
NDanecker

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you were having trouble with the tuning for a while. How did you get it all resolved?

Lots of time behind the wheel logging data along with some trial & error. I somewhat enjoyed learning this stuff and didn't mind spending the time to get it dialed in. The tune shop can do WOT spark and cam settings as they have the dyno so see what the motor likes, but drivability is done by time behind the wheel. Anyone interested in tuning their car/truck I highly recommend to learn this stuff as you can really dial in the motor the way you want and that is what turns a good tune into an exceptional tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.