Swap gears 3.73 for the 4.56

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mayuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've pulled the trigger on a set of 4.56 gears and they will be installed next week. The truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 5.7L mostly used for towing on stock tires. The swap will be done by a qualified drive-line shop.

Is there anything that I need to know about the swap? Is there any programming that needs to be done to the truck?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've pulled the trigger on a set of 4.56 gears and they will be installed next week. The truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 5.7L mostly used for towing on stock tires. The swap will be done by a qualified drive-line shop.

Is there anything that I need to know about the swap? Is there any programming that needs to be done to the truck?

4.56 will do well with stock tires.

DEFINITELY get a pro cal or somthing to calibrate the speedo. I don’t care what anybody says thinking it’s not needed. The proper known wheel speed is important. It works in conjunction with your transmission output shaft speed for proper shift points and torque converter operation.

Calibrate it. Its cheap insurance.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/ram-procal/#year

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mayuan, Great decision!

I'd like to hear all about it when you're rocking the new gears.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Awesome man! What was the cost? Who is during the work?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good choice on the ratio. That's what I always wanted to do but just don't tow enough to justify it. As for calibrating, etc. I don't understand how anything is needed. The gears are downstream of the speedo and tranny. Lots of people on here have reported swapping and doing nothing and everything is fine. There is just no logical reason why calibrating or doing anything with the speedo, etc. would be needed but I suppose anything is possible.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Good choice on the ratio. That's what I always wanted to do but just don't tow enough to justify it. As for calibrating, etc. I don't understand how anything is needed. The gears are downstream of the speedo and tranny. Lots of people on here have reported swapping and doing nothing and everything is fine. There is just no logical reason why calibrating or doing anything with the speedo, etc. would be needed but I suppose anything is possible.

To each his own man.[emoji1303]

OP
OP
mayuan

mayuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cost so far has been just under $2k(CAD) for the gears. The shop I'm taking it to works by the hour and I'll see that labour costs next week.

For the ratio, has anyone set the gears in alphaobd? I would hate to buy a device just for one purpose.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will love 4.56s .

Get HP tuners and a custom tune at this point. All the chepo tuners dont actually do much.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Is your truck 4x4? If so that is a very good price. Looking forward to your first driving impression after the swap

OP
OP
mayuan

mayuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will love 4.56s .

Get HP tuners and a custom tune at this point. All the chepo tuners dont actually do much.

I don't really know much about the tuners. I've seen the superchips and things like that.

Is your truck 4x4? If so that is a very good price. Looking forward to your first driving impression after the swap

Yes the truck is 4X4. I hope the install doesn't break the bank!

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If the speed sensor is BEFORE the gears, wouldn’t that mean that a recalibration would be required? You’re changing the wheel speed without changing the speed of the output shaft on the transmission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If the speed sensor is BEFORE the gears, wouldn’t that mean that a recalibration would be required? You’re changing the wheel speed without changing the speed of the output shaft on the transmission.

I'm probably saying it wrong.... I just know this has been discussed a bunch and I don't ever recall anyone having speedo issues.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm probably saying it wrong.... I just know this has been discussed a bunch and I don't ever recall anyone having speedo issues.
Because on the 1500 the speed sensors are in the wheels (which is a science that still baffles me). My understanding is that the HD’s still need to be recalibrated.

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Stop it. Your speaking logically.

OP
OP
mayuan

mayuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just dropped off the truck with the shop! Asked about the speedometer and confirmed that I need to use a tune of some sort to correct the speedometer. The speedometer runs off the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the transmission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You need the alpha obd. You can input your correct gear ratio and correct your tire size. Along with a million other cool features.

OP
OP
mayuan

mayuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need the alpha obd. You can input your correct gear ratio and correct your tire size. Along with a million other cool features.

I have the alfaobd, but don't know where to adjust the settings.

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had a 2001 and went from 3.55 to 4.10’s. They were American axles.
The front required a carrier change. The rear required the pin to be modified.
I know the front axle is different now, not sure about the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn’t recalibrate when I switched to 4.56. No problems, speedometer was accurate and transmission didn’t seem bothered by it either. Speed sensor is in the differential, as far downstream as it gets...