Swapped to 3.92 gears. Now having whining from rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joven Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Ram 1500 2wd that came with 3.21 gears. Recently swapped them out for 3.92 gears. Since I have swapped them out, I have a whining noise coming from my rear end. Only happens when I accelerate. Anyone have any knowledge on what the whining noise is?

Thank you

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gears arent set properly at least that's typically the reason. Are they new? Oem? Some aftermarket gears are just loud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
J

Joven Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are brand new made by transamerican.

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are brand new made by transamerican.
I would look onto seeing if anyone else has that issue with that brand. Example motive 4.30s for the gm products tend to whine. Otherwise they arent set properly which like mentioned is highly possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
J

Joven Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reputable mechanic here in my town say it could be from it being new. Told me to drive it a couple hundred miles and bring it back to him if it continues. I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Thank you all for the help.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If he stands behind his work nothing to lose but it's not because they are new if they whine now they always will. There is a reason your new truck didnt whine from the factory.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In my experience which you can read about here when I went to 4.56 in my 09. If they whine they won’t get better. They are either not set right or sometimes they are set right but bad gears. They were bad from new. He did them again and they were no issue. He says sometimes it happens.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
In my experience which you can read about here when I went to 4.56 in my 09. If they whine they won’t get better. They are either not set right or sometimes they are set right but bad gears. They were bad from new. He did them again and they were no issue. He says sometimes it happens.

When you went to 4.56 gears in your 09, what gears did you have before? Was it worth it? Thanks.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Big question is did you notice a huge performance game with those gears?

Mark2011hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Canadian mopar tech here sounds to me its not set up properly or bad pinion bearing off the bat. Set up many and have never had a break in whinning noise. The gentleman that set it up should take cover off and double check clearances and lash. Somethings not right in there.there is a paste you can use to check contact pattern on the gears. Good luck

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’ve never heard of a gear whine fixing itself due to “break in”. It won’t get better over time. I’ve set up a ton of 9.25 rear ends and if they whine on acceleration it’s either not set up right, or a bad pinion bearing.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yeah what Tach_Tech said ... you should take it back right away and have him check them out ... I had 4.88s by revolution installed and haven't had any whining to this day .... no reason to echo what others have said already .... have him check them out