Swapping 2009 Caliber Radio into 2005 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdhoffert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I somewhat recently bought a 2005 Ram 1500. The previous owner swapped the stock head unit out for one out of a Hyundai which works fine, except the clock is set via navigation, and the navigation doesn't work. I have a stock radio that I took out of a 2009 Dodge Caliber, pictured below. Would I be able to just buy a wiring adapter for the Caliber radio and plug it in? I've scoured the interwebs and can't find any record of anybody doing something similar, but I wouldn't either if I didn't already have the Caliber radio. I believe the RES radio was used in 4th Gen Rams, so I'm not sure the compatibility with the 3rd Gen.

Attachments

• Caliber Radio Plug.jpg
    Caliber Radio Plug.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Dodge RES Radio.jpg
    Dodge RES Radio.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Don't think it's possible, if I remember correctly, the '05's were PCI bus, not CAN Bus, but look into coastaltech's lockpick adapter to be sure

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, you cannot plug a CAN radio into a PCI bus system and have everything work right. It MAY actually plug in and power up, but that's about as far as you'd get. If you had an 06-08 then the Lockpick adapter would work, though it would be wasted (not worth the cost) on anything less than a MyGig. If you're interested in a head unit, I might still have the OEM head unit from my '03 that played mp3 CD's and I had set up with a sat radio adapter and headphone jack for phone use. Let me know and I'll look.

OP
OP
J

jdhoffert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the help guys, I don't know anything about car audio, but I figured it could be worth a try since I already had it. I've already the double din dash trim, so I will probably just try to find a cheap double din head unit for it. Also, @HemiLonestar, very nice set of vehicles you have. Peak year for the Charger in my opinion.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the help guys, I don't know anything about car audio, but I figured it could be worth a try since I already had it. I've already the double din dash trim, so I will probably just try to find a cheap double din head unit for it. Also, @HemiLonestar, very nice set of vehicles you have. Peak year for the Charger in my opinion.
Thanks. It's grown on me, I wasn't thrilled with the 'angrier eyes' look back in 2011, but I think it was the low production (only 4 MY's) and the styling of the 2015+ Chargers (they look like Darts) that made it more appealing. The year before the locals had wrecked my modified 06 R/T for me. I was driving my Magnum R/T (it's in the garage being worked on) but it had some issues, so I decided to get another car. It was somewhat local and not outrageous on price or mileage. I wasn't originally planning on keeping it forever but I think I might.