synthetic oil change at dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently got my oil changed for synthetic and I decided to let the dealership do it for me as I was pretty tight on time. Put a little over 2000 miles on the truck since and noticed a few drips of oil this morning. Tightened the oil filter by hand, and then checked the oil. The oil was about 3/4" above the upper safe hash marks on the dip. Going to change the oil myself this weekend and put exactly 7 quartz in and see how much more they added.

Anyone know how much hell I should raise at the dealership or is this a common occurrence for ram owners?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What ever "hell" you raise will be for your own personal satisfaction and they will put on a nice fake concern face to placate you and go back to business as usual after you leave.

Oil change monkeys are the lowest on the totem pole at any place dealership or not. Pay sucks and they hire accordingly and get what they get for talent or lack of. If anything, it is a life lesson to just do your own and know it was done right.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if you are going to raise hell, why not tell them to do the oil change again and do it correctly. Otherwise your just ******* away the money spent on the "bad" oil change when you go and do it yourself

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'd be leary letting them do ANYTHING after raising hell. I'd probably just quietly do another oil change myself, that way I know it has synthetic. If I raised hell, I would never go back.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
What ever "hell" you raise will be for your own personal satisfaction and they will put on a nice fake concern face to placate you and go back to business as usual after you leave.

Oil change monkeys are the lowest on the totem pole at any place dealership or not. Pay sucks and they hire accordingly and get what they get for talent or lack of. If anything, it is a life lesson to just do your own and know it was done right.

I actually enjoyed belittling the service mgr after the oil change monkey spilled oil all over the rt frt fender, grille, bumper, on my wifes new 14 caravan when I used their 1 FREE oil change coupon. It just so happened that the oil change monkey was the service mgr's son....Note to self....NEVER HAVE WORK DONE ON YOUR VEHICLE FIRST THING MONDAY MORNING...

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just ask for a refund and then do it your self going forward. I never had done my self before until I bought the truck. Now I am glad I do them my self, the time, money, and piece of mind is well worth it. From start to finish (including clean up) last one took me 20 minutes.

chrisowenisbatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Have them redo it since you already paid for it. I had a friend that would mark his tires when taking in for a tire rotation and he found out they weren't really rotating them. I never thought to do that but I do it now..

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I actually enjoyed belittling the service mgr after the oil change monkey spilled oil all over the rt frt fender, grille, bumper, on my wifes new 14 caravan when I used their 1 FREE oil change coupon. It just so happened that the oil change monkey was the service mgr's son....Note to self....NEVER HAVE WORK DONE ON YOUR VEHICLE FIRST THING MONDAY MORNING...

I am sure the service manager kicked his dog, beat his wife and cried in his pillow over the thorough tongue lashing you gave him. Then the sun rises the next day and his son is screwing up somebody else's vehicle.

Last edited:

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealerships are continued **** ups with the least bit of remorse. They care about us just as much as our salesman cares after the paperwork is signed. It's an unfortunate thing

PartsSlinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I work at a dealership, and ALL of our synthetic oil comes in 1L jugs. That would mean that not only would the parts guy have to to hand them too many jugs, but they would also have to miscount how many they've put in. Possible I guess, because people do make mistakes. Maybe it's different in some places, but that's what would have to happen here. Maybe they didn't get all the old oil out of the motor/pan, who knows. Not saying you're wrong, because you obviously saw it on your dipstick.

Also, at my dealership we don't have dedicated oil/tire guys, so it could be anyone from the young girl working on her apprenticeship, to the shop foreman who's been here for many years, changing your oil. I know this is definitely not the case everywhere however. I've also been that oil monkey in years past, and just because they can't sign an MVI doesn't mean they don't know anything about cars or don't give a **** about the customer. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I'm not disagreeing with anything here, I'm just trying to show a bit of a view from the other side of the counter!

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have never worked at a dealership but come on guys, some techs do take pride in their work. I can say for certain the dealer I use shows me all the respect in the world along with whichever vehicle is in for service.

Last edited:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never worked at a dealership but come on guys, some techs do take pride in their work. I can say for certain the dealer I use shows me all the respect in the world along with whichever vehicle is in for service.

SO true, and if you take pride in your vehicle like 99.99% of the people on this forum do, they notice and appreciate our efforts. Then they scratch it! Ha ha ha ha......just kidding. My local dealer does a good job.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the dealer i use, has been great. op, its just possible they exactly 7 quarts and your dip stick is a bit off.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I provide my dealer with 7 qts of Royal Purple. That way, I know I am getting the exactly correct amount of oil, and know that I am running one of the best synthetics available.