Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks all! Just a heads up when it comes to oil filters. We in the racing community did an extensive test to see which oil filter was the best for flow, and capture, and durability. Forget cost. You wand a good filter, don't cheap out. After testing various brands, the one filter that stood out and had best results:
K & N GOLD. But it is still a free country, I think. So, do what's best for you.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Test results? Available where please??
Thanks all! Just a heads up when it comes to oil filters. We in the racing community did an extensive test to see which oil filter was the best for flow, and capture, and durability. Forget cost. You wand a good filter, don't cheap out. After testing various brands, the one filter that stood out and had best results:
K & N GOLD. But it is still a free country, I think. So, do what's best for you.

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A group of us did it ourselves. Checked the valve, body, elements, flow rate, and allowable particulate filtration. Another words, what size particulates are allowed to pass. The wix racing filter allowed just a little more matter to pass through than the K&N. Otherwise, its a very good filter too. Mind you, these are mainly for race applications. But I would still use the K&N in my truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A group of us did it ourselves. Checked the valve, body, elements, flow rate, and allowable particulate filtration. Another words, what size particulates are allowed to pass. The wix racing filter allowed just a little more matter to pass through than the K&N. Otherwise, its a very good filter too. Mind you, these are mainly for race applications. But I would still use the K&N in my truck.
You can see oil filter thread for updated info, k&n did come in first place with paper media so I bet your testing was good, however there is no argument for any paper filter outperforming synthetic media, especially in durability. Use what you like, but if you want to see the results you only need to read two pages one and 93 of oil filter thread to see the science. The challenge with paper filter is they need to use binders that with heat cycles firm up, synthetic media uses no binders they are held together with wire mesh and their nature. We have tested them 14 month on them and 2 years on them, still pliable and new like. Page 93 results were from a lab, but I believe it was only synthetic filter tested, the GM test page 1 included paper filter like kn.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use 5-20 penzoil ultra with a fram ultra filter. My oil change interval I s between 5 and 6000 miles. No tick, no issues. 2016 bighorn 5.7 4x4 bought new. If I had a tick, I would use redline 5-30 with a royal purple filter.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the royal purple filters even available anymore?....been 3 oil changes now and I still can't get them...I remember a thread awhile back talking about this but don't know if they came back or not.

mullet6577

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are the royal purple filters even available anymore?....been 3 oil changes now and I still can't get them...I remember a thread awhile back talking about this but don't know if they came back or not.
Which one? The 20-820 can be had direct from RP

MoparMurley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use 5-20 penzoil ultra with a fram ultra filter. My oil change interval I s between 5 and 6000 miles. No tick, no issues. 2016 bighorn 5.7 4x4 bought new. If I had a tick, I would use redline 5-30 with a royal purple filter.
As I am in Ontario, would using 0-20 Penzoil Ultra paired with the Fram Ultra Filter in the winter cause any issues?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As I am in Ontario, would using 0-20 Penzoil Ultra paired with the Fram Ultra Filter in the winter cause any issues?

I'd use the bigger Fram XG2 if you can physically fit it in there (most guys that try it seem to make it work, gets a little tight though).

0w will work fine for us in southern ontario, the spec says that should be ok down to -40C. You can also run a 5w, that's good to -35C. Where I'm at I typically see only a few days below -20 so I could run 10w too.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Redline 5W30 year round in my Hemi but I do park in a heated garage at night. If you plug in when it gets below -15C or so like you are supposed to I see no reason to ever run a 0W20. Even both our V6 Pentastars (a 3.6 and a 3.2) are running PUP 5W30.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run Redline 5W30 year round in my Hemi but I do park in a heated garage at night. If you plug in when it gets below -15C or so like you are supposed to I see no reason to ever run a 0W20. Even both our V6 Pentastars (a 3.6 and a 3.2) are running PUP 5W30.

I don't think a single person in southern ON plugs in at night unless they drive an oil burner. Even most/all modern diesels start here without any trouble.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think a single person in southern ON plugs in at night unless they drive an oil burner. Even most/all modern diesels start here without any trouble.
Never been there. I was assuming that someone who wanted to run a 0W20 was dealing with extreme cold but that does not sound like it is the case.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Never been there. I was assuming that someone who wanted to run a 0W20 was dealing with extreme cold but that does not sound like it is the case.

What's crazy is that 0w is only good for an extra 5 degs C beyond 5w. So 0w is good to -40, and 5w is good to -35. I would of thought that range to be higher.

For point of reference, the last few winters I don't remember it ever being colder than -20 except for a few days here and there. Majority of the time we're about -5 to -15ish, that's Toronto area. We get lots of time above 0 as well. We're a far cry from Alberta or Winterpeg.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's crazy is that 0w is only good for an extra 5 degs C beyond 5w. So 0w is good to -40, and 5w is good to -35. I would of thought that range to be higher.

For point of reference, the last few winters I don't remember it ever being colder than -20 except for a few days here and there. Majority of the time we're about -5 to -15ish, that's Toronto area. We get lots of time above 0 as well. We're a far cry from Alberta or Winterpeg.
Damn Southern Ontarians,lol
Now don't take this wrong,but i hope the damn mosquito's eat you guys up next summer :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Damn Southern Ontarians,lol
Now don't take this wrong,but i hope the damn mosquito's eat you guys up next summer :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

Well now, the mosquito's gotta eat too.

Thankfully they're only bad for a few weeks in the spring where I'm at, those devilish little black flys are just as bad but generally once late spring/early summer hits it's free sailing. I'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/f389hIxZAOc?t=39

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2017 5.7 ltr ram with only 21,000 miles on it. Dont know what is in it right now. Figure its a great time to start with a synthetic oil from here on out.
What weight have most of y'all had the most success with?
I live in Delaware. Winter not to bad here.
Factory recommends 5W20. Get whatever full syn is on sale that attains the Chrysler spec, a quality oil filter that claims to attain OEM spec, and drive on. This isn’t rocket surgery.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Factory recommends 5W20. Get whatever full syn is on sale that attains the Chrysler spec, a quality oil filter that claims to attain OEM spec, and drive on. This isn’t rocket surgery.
Read the note at the bottom.You'll also note,nowhere do they say 5W-20 adds longevity to the engine.You can be dammed sure if they thought 5W-20 was good for the longevity of the engine,they'd be mentioning it.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 9