Tailgate ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oyekling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone else's truck missing the tailgate ajar sensor? My truck is supposed to have it, it's on the build sheet, but it's not on the truck. Ram refuses to fix it even though the truck is supposed to have it. The customer service is nothing but a joke!

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No issues on my 2023.

ALScott

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's on my 2023 and works well, too well. I have the multifunction tailgate and I am so glad I have it but it does require more attention when closing.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have it on my 2019 Limited and sometimes I get the "tail gate" open message even though it's securely closed, and I have to get out and slam it shut once or twice to get the light to go off.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have it on my 2019 Limited and sometimes I get the "tail gate" open message even though it's securely closed, and I have to get out and slam it shut once or twice to get the light to go off.
Same on mine - some phantom warnings.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Some were missing that. It was a much larger issue at the beginning of the 5th gen run. Many with early DTs were posting that their tailgate ajar wasn't working. If you have the sensor on your tailgate latch then it should just be a programming issue.

*** The following is just my experience and personal observation/opinion as a non-professional gearhead and forum cruiser ***

Problem with the dealership that they have to change the programming and add it to your VIN (don't remember if it's a sales code or not). Some got theirs "fixed" and some did not. As the years have passed it seems that corporate frowned upon dealerships altering programming associated with the VIN. Since then it has become hard to find a dealership willing to add the sales code(s) (bed lights, mirrors, radio upgrades, etc.).

*** End Rant ***

If you cannot find a dealership to fix your issue there is always AlfaOBD. Everything is there and all you have to do is change some settings to activate your tailgate ajar function (and light). You can find someone with AlfaOBD to help you (there is no limit to the number of VINs you can connect to) or, depending on how much you want it, you can pony up ~$150 for the software (only supports Android and Windows), the OBDII connector (BlueTooth or USB), and the Security Gateway Bypass.

This forum doesn't like to post "5thgenrams". Replace all the asterisks with 5thgenrams[dot]com.

Part numbers for the latch: https://**************/community/threads/tailgate-ajar-warning-enabled.48330/

AlfaOBD settings: https://**************/community/threads/tailgate-open-warning-light.17850/page-3

Lots of great AlfaOBD info: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/5th-gen-alfa-obd.176713/page-8

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 and it works fine. I do have to slam it close when I use so the warning doesn’t come on.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 and it works fine. I do have to slam it close when I use so the warning doesn’t come on.
I have one of the super early 5th Gen, April 2018 Builds. I find I have to shut the tailgate with just a lil more force, but not crazy. Otherwise Cargo light may stay lit and my EVIC screen have that Big pretty picture of "Tailgate Ajar". My only saving grace, I have full tonneau cover that goes over end of tailgate so I do not have to worry about the phantom opening/dropping my tailgate.

IMG_0862.JPG

OP
OP
O

oyekling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealership is willing to fix it but Ram trucks refuses to pay for fixing it. Get this cause it's not covered under warranty!! They didn't even install it in the first place. So I just got screwed.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
If it's not listed on your build sheet, your window sticker, and it didn't come off the assembly line with it then that's a tough sell that usually doesn't go in the owner's favor unfortunately.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone else's truck missing the tailgate ajar sensor? My truck is supposed to have it, it's on the build sheet, but it's not on the truck. Ram refuses to fix it even though the truck is supposed to have it. The customer service is nothing but a joke!
If it's on the build sheet, then you paid for it. They either need to fix the problem, or refund you some money.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealership is willing to fix it but Ram trucks refuses to pay for fixing it. Get this cause it's not covered under warranty!! They didn't even install it in the first place. So I just got screwed.
This has been talked about since 2019, and there are dozens of threads on this on other Ram/TRX forums. Not one person with the missing tailgate ajar warning has ever been successful getting the dealership or Ram to add it after the fact, or get reimbursed, regardless of what the build sheet says. You are not going to be the first.
Trust me when I tell you this- save yourself the time, aggravation, and run-around/back and forth with the dealer, and get alfaobd so you can turn the warning on yourself. You already have the correct tailgate latch with ajar sensor installed on the truck.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jimmy has spoken so it should be. Plus Alfa gives you options. Fairly cheap investment.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well
I'm new to the Ram family with my Nused 1500 I recently found a link to my build sheet. I too, have a similar problem: my truck has the factory bed lights and the door ajar warning installed. My bed lights work with cab doors or the switch mounted on the light fixture. The tailgate ajar is non-functional, and the bedlights do not turn on when I open the tailgate.

I'm in the process of investigating and purchasing the equipment to use the Apla OBD system. But, I find the information somewhat confusing as to what is needed and what works. So many different owners report differing setups. Then, there is the learning curve and the potential to make a mess with tinkering.

I use my truck frequently after dark and would like to have the bed lights function when I open and close the tailgate.

BlueHemi1500

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well
I'm new to the Ram family with my Nused 1500 I recently found a link to my build sheet. I too, have a similar problem: my truck has the factory bed lights and the door ajar warning installed. My bed lights work with cab doors or the switch mounted on the light fixture. The tailgate ajar is non-functional, and the bedlights do not turn on when I open the tailgate.

I'm in the process of investigating and purchasing the equipment to use the Apla OBD system. But, I find the information somewhat confusing as to what is needed and what works. So many different owners report differing setups. Then, there is the learning curve and the potential to make a mess with tinkering.

I use my truck frequently after dark and would like to have the bed lights function when I open and close the tailgate.

BlueHemi1500
This is all you need:
-Alfaobd
-Bypass: https://a.co/d/asxidfM
-OBD interface: https://a.co/d/82kNEcG

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is all you need:
-Alfaobd
-Bypass: https://a.co/d/asxidfM
-OBD interface: https://a.co/d/82kNEcG

I bought one of those inexpensive bypass cables from Amazon but with my '21 Warlock, it meant disassembling the dash and removing the radio to access the SGM.

Plus, IIRC, I would have to remove this bypass before visiting the dealer for maintenance or warranty work. Just an enormous PITA!

I procrastinated installing the bypass cable until I found the KaodTech solution from a Ram Forum member.

It took about 5 minutes to install and no need to remove it before visiting the dealership.

BTW, I like the OBD interface that you listed. It costs less than 1/3 of an Mx+.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought one of those inexpensive bypass cables from Amazon but with my '21 Warlock, it meant disassembling the dash and removing the radio to access the SGM.

Plus, IIRC, I would have to remove this bypass before visiting the dealer for maintenance or warranty work. Just an enormous PITA!

I procrastinated installing the bypass cable until I found the KaodTech solution from a Ram Forum member.

It took about 5 minutes to install and no need to remove it before visiting the dealership.

BTW, I like the OBD interface that you listed. It costs less than 1/3 of an Mx+.

Well, since these posts are in the 5th gen section, and we’re talking about a 5th gen 1500 feature in this thread, then we all know that his security gateway is not behind the radio but just above the obd port. The Amazon cable I linked is the easiest, cheapest, and most used bypass solution for the 5th gen rams. You have a 4th gen ram, so the easier solution for you would be the KaodTech style bypass.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, since these posts are in the 5th gen section, and we’re talking about a 5th gen 1500 feature in this thread, then we all know that his security gateway is not behind the radio but just above the obd port. The Amazon cable I linked is the easiest, cheapest, and most used bypass solution for the 5th gen rams. You have a 4th gen ram, so the easier solution for you would be the KaodTech style bypass.

OOPs, forgot about that detail. Thanks for the reminder. :cool:

If any 5th gen owner in Canada is interested, I have one of these cables that I don't need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357