Tailgate ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is all you need:
-Alfaobd
-Bypass: https://a.co/d/asxidfM
-OBD interface: https://a.co/d/82kNEcG

I bought one of those inexpensive bypass cables from Amazon but with my '21 Warlock, it meant disassembling the dash and removing the radio to access the SGM.

Plus, IIRC, I would have to remove this bypass before visiting the dealer for maintenance or warranty work. Just an enormous PITA!

I procrastinated installing the bypass cable until I found the KaodTech solution from a Ram Forum member.

It took about 5 minutes to install and no need to remove it before visiting the dealership.

BTW, I like the OBD interface that you listed. It costs less than 1/3 of an Mx+.

Thank you all for the information.
I will be ordering the tools/parts this week from my local Bezo'z delivery folks.
You are correct I have a 5th Gen DT 2020 Laramie.
Then the real work of learning and reading. I have joined a few Ram boards and have done lots of reading and learning.
I have learned a lot from my fellow users. My fellow owners/users are great teachers and a wealth of information.

Thank you all for the help. :) Hoping to be able to fix this annoyance level of a problem.

BLueHemi1500

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
From these comments sounds like it would be better to not have it!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This has been talked about since 2019, and there are dozens of threads on this on other Ram/TRX forums. Not one person with the missing tailgate ajar warning has ever been successful getting the dealership or Ram to add it after the fact, or get reimbursed, regardless of what the build sheet says. You are not going to be the first.
Trust me when I tell you this- save yourself the time, aggravation, and run-around/back and forth with the dealer, and get alfaobd so you can turn the warning on yourself. You already have the correct tailgate latch with ajar sensor installed on the truck.
I'm pretty sure I don't have it available. I ordered the basest baseline truck I could get as all I'm interested in is the cargo and towing capacities. The only option I paid extra for were tow hooks, a brake controller, the 5th-wheel prep, and the spray-in bedliner. And they ended up giving me the bedliner for free because they screwed up something else that made me wait an extra week for the truck.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm pretty sure I don't have it available. I ordered the basest baseline truck I could get as all I'm interested in is the cargo and towing capacities. The only option I paid extra for were tow hook, a brake controller, the 5th-wheel prep, and the spray-in bedliner. And they ended up giving me the bedliner for free because they screwed up something else that made me wait an extra week for the truck.
Tailgate ajar feature doesn’t exist for your truck. First year the HD Rams got the tailgate ajar is 2024 model year.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought I read that too but my 23 Limited built in June has it. I know as it just lit up a couple hours ago on a drive downtown and stayed on until I stopped, shut the truck off, opened the tailgate and firmly shut it again.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's on my 2023 and works well, too well. I have the multifunction tailgate and I am so glad I have it but it does require more attention when closing.
I have the multi-function tailgate as well and the trick is to keep an eye on the third brake light ... If it stays on after you close the gate it will show ajar on the dash ... Just try again until the brake light goes out and you're good to go ...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing on MY 19 Bighorn. I just have learned over the years the needed momentum to close properly w/o slamming the wholly bejesus out of the gate. But I do have a full bed cover goes over the tailgate. SO I NEVA let anyone else close the gate, only takes one OOPS to forget that cover, cause if it is down, U gonna F-UBAR yer cover, LOL.

They even learned at the Feed store. No a toucha tailgate, I got it, and no a Toucha Bed Cover, I got that too, lol.

ADDED: Wish I had a Multi gate, but that be a lot of money to spend to get a New Ride when MY 19 is paid for, LOL

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In many years, Rams have had updates in January

In the past, July 1 starts the Production years
Late September the new models hit some showroom floors
January sometimes has a Mid year update
June 30 is the target date for productions end for the year

The tailgate ajar switch or sensor, could have been a January update

These dates are now just Target dates, other brands try to follow them too

this is the current production status

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All,
Finally got all the needed parts, cable, and software. Warm weather, not raining, and time off.
I also was able to save my factory data tonight to my Google Drive.
Tonight I was able to make my first Mod/programming change. :)
It took a while to find the correct setting and figure out how to change the setting.

I now have the lights and open tailgate both function when the tailgate is opened.

Thank you all for the information.

I will continue to read and learn, my first baby steps were successful.

BlueHemi1500