Tailgate Cap (Spoiler) help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhostGregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I use the term Spoiler loosely here ladies and gents. You know what I am talking about right? The plastic top cap of the tailgate on a 2009-17 1500. Well mine broke while making a dump run. I ordered a new one for 25.00 on ebay only to find that it was made in china AND the clips that go into the top of the tailgate on it were way to big for the tailgate holes. I gave it a good push and broke off 3 of those clips like a hot knife through butter. After 30 mins of fooling with it, all of the clips eventually broke off. Needless to say it is going back to the ebay seller monday for a refund.

Has anyone replaced one before? Is this a part I need to get from the dealer to be a correct fitment? SHould I pay more than 25 dollars for this piece?

Lets Discuss..

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about cost you should but I replaced mine when the corners started curling up from the heat. There is a trick but you have to go from the inside of the tailgate to swap it out without breaking those tabs off.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Here's another thread discussing it:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/plastic-tailgate-trim.125161/page-2

I replaced mine awhile back. I found two Mopar options - 68066818AB (attaches with double sided tape) & 55372052AH (attaches with clips). I went with the clips version, like I had originally, and it went in pretty easy without issue. I ordered mine through the Mopar vendor on this site, it was around $60 IIRC.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I too noticed mine was cracked after a dump run lol. It’s a pretty cheap piece of plastic. Should of been better designed. I figured id wait till mine gets worse before I replace it, because unless someone has a more durable design Its just gonna break again. Judging by how cheap the Mopar part is I’d defiantly steer away from a Chinese part.

image.jpg

D2F56129-E33B-437F-932C-CAB576667284.jpeg