Tailgate Recall. Who'da thunk it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Wanna bet someone got hurt by a Ram tailgate, opening up, and allowing bed contents to fall out of truck?

Seems like that is the ONLY way to get any change around here.
Have Citizens, be Killed, Maimed or severely Injured, through Corporate Greed &/or Negligence.

Ask Chekov

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder what the problem is this time because last time on the fourth GEN’s, it was the electric actuator hitting a little metal tab too hard that bent it and was allowing the rotating tailgate latch mechanism to go to far or something so the fix was adding a little clip on rubber bumper that padded that little metal tab… Or at least, that’s what they did to my truck.

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder what the problem is this time because last time on the fourth GEN’s, it was the electric actuator hitting a little metal tab too hard that bent it and was allowing the rotating tailgate latch mechanism to go to far or something so the fix was adding a little clip on rubber bumper that padded that little metal tab… Or at least, that’s what they did to my truck.
I bought my 2015 Ram 1500 in 2019 with about 36,000 miles. All the recalls up to then had been done including the tailgate fix, whatever that was. I've had the gate flop open about 4-5 times since I bought it. I opened it up and looked at the mechanism but it seemed to be ok. No clip or such needed or already fixed. I ended up squirting WD-40 in the mechanisms under the cover and the latches at each end. It seemed to help and has been ok for a couple of years. It did it again last week. I noticed the common thread to all this gate flopping is cold weather. It never did it during warm weather. I guess I'll need to squirt some more WD-40 in there.

FWIW Pete

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wanna bet someone got hurt by a Ram tailgate, opening up, and allowing bed contents to fall out of truck?

Seems like that is the ONLY way to get any change around here.
Have Citizens, be Killed, Maimed or severely Injured, through Corporate Greed &/or Negligence.

Ask Chekov
It didn’t say it in that article you posted but I read another one somewhere that said they’ve already had like over 800 warranty claims over this issue that supposedly haven’t caused any accidents or injuries yet…lol.

It’s funny, I wonder how many warranty claims they’ve had over the 2018 Uconnect screen delaminations; but then again, it sounds like the majority of those were starting to happen after the three-year, 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty was up. That’s when mine started that but fortunately my lifetime warranty paid for all but 100 bucks for that replacement.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You mean the dude who didn’t confirm he was in park and had not applied the parking brake before exiting and got run over? Oh yea, that’s really the fault of the mfg. :rolleyes:
Nah, that was Anton Yelchin you’re thinking of, the actor that played on that Star Trek show and as the young Kyle Reese on Terminator Salvation that died after getting pinned between his fancy gate and his jeep Cherokee but yeah, even though there was known issues with that shifter, it’s really not ultimately the manufacturer’s fault for him not making sure his car was in Park when he got out of it.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nah, that was Anton Yelchin you’re thinking of, the actor that played on that Star Trek show and as the young Kyle Reese on Terminator Salvation that died after getting pinned between his fancy gate and his jeep Cherokee but yeah, even though there was known issues with that shifter, it’s really not ultimately the manufacturer’s fault for him not making sure his car was in Park when he got out of it.
I had a Dodge Charger with that shifter. I used to prove people wrong about it and the myths all the time. It really wasn’t hard to use. LOL

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or spilling hot coffee on yourself is McDonald's fault.
I still don’t think that lady should’ve gotten anywhere near what she got but it’s quite interesting what the guy in this video below says about that and several other frivolous lawsuits that have happened.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Dodge Charger with that shifter. I used to prove people wrong about it and the myths all the time. It really wasn’t hard to use. LOL
Just despite the issues that might’ve had, I don’t doubt that at all one bit but unfortunately, the known issues is what helped the family of that guy take an undisclosed amount from Chrysler.

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You mean the dude who didn’t confirm he was in park and had not applied the parking brake before exiting and got run over? Oh yea, that’s really the fault of the mfg. :rolleyes:
Actually, the issue was it felt like park but was not. Tons of posts about it, right here on the forum.
I ain't never used my Parking brake ANYWHERE other than the Boat Ramp.
Willing to bet most do not either.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, here is the pasted Recall Article on tailgates. Now what I do not understand: Since I "have" a sensor that Tells me my tailgate is open, even though gate may be defective, I do not qualify for the recall? Makes no sense to me, LOL. Did they put some different "striker" plates for the tailgate, it is still the same gate (I do not have a MF tailgate, wish I do tho). As usual, stuff from companies not make sense sometimes, or is it just my Boird Brain? LOL...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DETROIT -- Stellantis is recalling about 1.4 million pickup trucks worldwide because the tailgates may not close completely and cargo could spill onto the road.

The recall covers Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2019 to 2022 model years.

The company, formerly Fiat Chrysler, says it found that striker plates on the pickups may not be lined up right to allow complete closure. Stellantis says it's not aware of any related crashes or injuries.

Most of the recalled trucks are in North America.

Dealers will inspect the tailgate striker alignment and adjust it if necessary. Customers will be notified starting Jan. 27. In the meantime, Stellantis says owners should make sure they secure any cargo in the beds.

Pickups with “multi-function tailgates,” the Ram 1500 Classic, and trucks with sensors that alert drivers to unsecured tailgates are not affected by the recall, the company says.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, the issue was it felt like park but was not. Tons of posts about it, right here on the forum.
IF I am on an incline, I use the "electric" parking brake. Also, if I know real bad windy weather coming in and will hit truck square on the front or back, I set brake, not want parking pawl being pushed on like that, no need to stress out those lil gears, IMHO...

ADDED: Also use "E" Brake if have trailer attached, a lot of weight pushing/pulling especially if loaded, tho it does weigh 2150 lbs empty.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, here is the pasted Recall Article on tailgates. Now what I do not understand: Since I "have" a sensor that Tells me my tailgate is open, even though gate may be defective, I do not qualify for the recall? Makes no sense to me, LOL. Did they put some different "striker" plates for the tailgate, it is still the same gate (I do not have a MF tailgate, wish I do tho). As usual, stuff from companies not make sense sometimes, or is it just my Boird Brain? LOL...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DETROIT -- Stellantis is recalling about 1.4 million pickup trucks worldwide because the tailgates may not close completely and cargo could spill onto the road.

The recall covers Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2019 to 2022 model years.

The company, formerly Fiat Chrysler, says it found that striker plates on the pickups may not be lined up right to allow complete closure. Stellantis says it's not aware of any related crashes or injuries.

Dealers will inspect the tailgate striker alignment and adjust it if necessary. Customers will be notified starting Jan. 27. In the meantime, Stellantis says owners should make sure they secure any cargo in the beds.

Pickups with “multi-function tailgates,” the Ram 1500 Classic, and trucks with sensors that alert drivers to unsecured tailgates are not affected by the recall, the company says.
I was wondering the same thing about the striker. I can hear the tailgate lock/unlock. Maybe that's the difference. /shrug.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never har that experience with mine so it’s hard for me to subscribe it to anything but operator error. No insult intended I’m old school in that I trust my training and experience and always make sure both parking brake and the park on the shifter are both engaged before exiting the vehicle. It’s sort of the same phenomenon of people trusting cameras and sensors to park or drive rather than their eyes and turning their head where needed. :)

But I digress since I’m off topic.

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I never har that experience with mine so it’s hard for me to subscribe it to anything but operator error. No insult intended I’m old school in that I trust my training and experience and always make sure both parking brake and the park on the shifter are both engaged before exiting the vehicle. It’s sort of the same phenomenon of people trusting cameras and sensors to park or drive rather than their eyes and turning their head where needed. :)

But I digress since I’m off topic.
I really think its where you grew up, not an Age or School type of thing.

My Dad is almost 80? (will ask the Wife!)
78, He;s 78!.
Dad never uses his parking brake, with an automatic, unless it is a darn steep grade.
I am the same way.

Can remember my Grandpa, same thing.
If it is a steep grade, use the parking brake.
If it's a Clutch, use the parking brake.

Had a buddy, moved here from Georgia, he used his parking brake, with an automatic, on flat as Pancake grade.
I asked him, did you grow up in the Hiills? Do they even have Hills in Georgia?
He said no, grew up on flat land but that's just how he was taught. so really think it is a regional thing , more than anything.

80 year old Neighbor was a Ridge Running Hillbilly from West BY GAWD Virginia.
Career Navy man. Command whatever the heck Master Chief.
Spent his entire navy Career pushing paper, working with Admirals & other Fleet Command Officers.
Exceptionally well groomed, Well Mannered, Polished individual.
Would never suspect his upbringing, except he always used his parking brake.
He had a few other quirks but hid them well.

Adopted Daughter had one of those runaway gear selectors.
Had one issue with it and she always used her parking brake afterwards, even after it was fixed, until she traded off.
Does not use her parking brake on anything since. Not that I've noticed anyway.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always used my parking brake. Just habit. With my new truck I have set to automatically engage. It can be a pain at times because if I'm moving my truck out of or into the driveway, I still have to put my seat belt on or else if won't disengage but I live with it.

Also if your truck was built after July 10, 2022 it's not included (yet). My truck has a build date of 9/22 so it doesn't affect me (yet). And I think I have an open tailgate warning light, I'm not really sure though.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have the MFT so I am not affected.