Tailgate Recall. Who'da thunk it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronald Nadeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2015 Ram 1500 in 2019 with about 36,000 miles. All the recalls up to then had been done including the tailgate fix, whatever that was. I've had the gate flop open about 4-5 times since I bought it. I opened it up and looked at the mechanism but it seemed to be ok. No clip or such needed or already fixed. I ended up squirting WD-40 in the mechanisms under the cover and the latches at each end. It seemed to help and has been ok for a couple of years. It did it again last week. I noticed the common thread to all this gate flopping is cold weather. It never did it during warm weather. I guess I'll need to squirt some more WD-40 in there.

FWIW Pete

WD 30 for winter. Lol

vdemarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have the document that they give the techs? (and can you post it?)

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The coffee spill has been totally exaggerated . the truth?
  • Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and ********, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat.
  • McDonald’s apparently knew that this was unsafe. In the decade before Liebeck’s spill, McDonald’s had received 700 reports of people burning themselves. McDonald’s admitted that its coffee was a hazard at such high temperatures. But it continued the practice, enforced by official McDonald’s policy, of heating up its coffee to near-boiling point. (McDonald’s claimed customers wanted the coffee this hot.)
  • Liebeck didn’t want to go to court. She just wanted McDonald’s to pay her medical expenses, estimated at $20,000. McDonald’s only offered $800, leading her to file a lawsuit in 1994.
  • After hearing the evidence, the jury concluded that McDonald’s handling of its coffee was so irresponsible that Liebeck should get much more than $20,000, suggesting she get nearly $2.9 million to send the company a message. Liebeck settled for less than $600,000. And McDonald’s began changing how it heats up its coffee.
I’m sorry, coffee is still hot and a coffee drinker knows this. Spill it and you get burned, it’s not rocket science. At MOST McD’s should of offered to pay the medical bills as a good gesture. Still even though they didn’t that doesn’t automatically mean they should pay out the nose when it was still on the consumer. Leave the cup in a cup holder until you reach your destination if it’s hot. Common sense isn’t so common.

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
So this does not apply to Ram 1500 Limited or any model/year that has electronic tailgate position monitors...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Wanna bet someone got hurt by a Ram tailgate, opening up, and allowing bed contents to fall out of truck?
Weird, I have the opposite problem. My tailgate doesn't always open. As far as I can tell, it's when there is (even slight) rearward pressure on it. Have to press forward on the gate while activating the release.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My son has a 2021 2500 that has a dent in the tailgate cause it popped open while towing a trailer and hit the jack post. Body shop wants $800 to fix it. Wonder if the recall will cover this?
Your problem is that, unless you have video of it happening, there is no way to prove that you didn't do it yourself by carelessness. And even if you can prove it was their fault, good luck!

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I received a email and phone call from my Dealer for my 2021 Rebel about the tailgate recall.

Dealer told me, stop driving the Truck until it can be inspected. I asked them when do they want to schedule a time.
Told me in 4 months. I told him **** off and hung up.

I off-road with my truck year around. If it hasn't opened yet, it's fine.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeap, just got the email notice about the recall for the tailgate, guess I will call and make an appointment.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I received a email and phone call from my Dealer for my 2021 Rebel about the tailgate recall.

Dealer told me, stop driving the Truck until it can be inspected. I asked them when do they want to schedule a time.
Told me in 4 months. I told him **** off and hung up.

I off-road with my truck year around. If it hasn't opened yet, it's fine.
I would still schedule the appointment and have it taken care of regardless if it's ever happened.

Obviously it is not prudent in any way to park the truck for that long but they have to tell you that to cover their legal behinds.

If you every go to sell/trade in your truck it will have an open recall on it which may affect the value.

Just my .02

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I have a 2022 2500. The left side of the tail gate does quite line up with the bed. My friend's 2020 2500 is identical. It makes it harder to close the canopy on the truck because it forces the rear glass window to warp slightly to go in place.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 laramie has the tailgate ajar indicator listed on the build sheet. But I still got recall assigned to my vin.

Not sure what's up with that. Never had any tailgate issues.

I will not be taking it in just for that anytime soon.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2021 Warlock has a tailgte that sometimes fails to lock without a good slam..wonder if i will be getting a notice...checked and nothing on line...hmmmm

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’m sure some of you are having a little fun about people who have had their tailgate come down. Please continue your jokes. But I will tell you it was NOT fun. I was one who issued a complaint to RAM about the tailgate on my 2022 2500. The tailgate came down while I was driving and pulling a 28’ trailer. The gate came down EXACTLY on the switch that controls the electric front jack DOWN operation. Now, imagine pulling a trailer, having the jack go down while you’re driving and scraping / sparking and trying to lift the trailer OFF the ball! This has happened 4-5 times (only once while towing).
Hello Gazoo,

Thank you for grabbing our attention on this. Please send us a PM with your information, our team would like to assist you further on this matter.

William
Ram Cares

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The left side of the tailgate on 2022 2500 does not line up right. In order to close the canopy the rear window has to be twisted. My friend's 2020 is exactly the same.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
The tailgate latch adjustment must be difficult to do.
I had mine in this morning for that and an oil change.
Now I have to push in on the tailgate in order for it to release.
Gotta take it back in the morning to have it done again. Maybe they will put a tech on it that knows what he (or she) is doing.
Rant over. Thanks for reading.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I received the recall notice a couple months ago, received a second mailer about it. Had no issues with the tailgate but decided to head to the dealer yesterday, called ahead of time, told it should be quick. Got there, 15 mins out. Service writer said all he had to do was ensure the latching bolts lined up and I was good to go. Hope that was all that was needed.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I’ve had two recall notices for my 2020 1500. Haven’t had any issues with my tailgate opening or closing. Not overly worried about it. I’ve got an oil change coming up soon, so I’ll have the dealer check out the tail gate recall then.

Row Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello Gazoo,

Thank you for grabbing our attention on this. Please send us a PM with your information, our team would like to assist you further on this matter.

William
Ram Cares

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ram can't get the tailgate right
Pre 2018 plus Rams have a tailgate handle & they have been dropping for years.

Now Rams don't have a tailgate handle & several people can't get them to open

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500