Tailgate Recall. Who'da thunk it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I use my parking brake on the boat ramp and when hitching up to a trailer so I don't roll back or forward once I'm over the ball.
But that time I lost all my brakes in my driveway on my old 91 D250 5 speed it was my friend so I could drive it to my son's shop to get fixed! Shifting, steering, e brake and release was a fun 2 mile trip LOL!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son has a 2021 2500 that has a dent in the tailgate cause it popped open while towing a trailer and hit the jack post. Body shop wants $800 to fix it. Wonder if the recall will cover this?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The answer is always 'no' unless you ask, but I wouldn't count on it.

They'll fix the issue if it falls under the recall but most likely won't cover any damage caused by it. Stellantis will fix cab leaks under warranty but not the damage caused by the water intrusion so I can't see them fixing tailgate damage.

You might find a 'friendly' dealership that's willing to give it a go to see if corporate will re-imburse them for it but those dealerships are very few and very far inbetween, but I defer to my first sentence.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always used my parking brake. Just habit. With my new truck I have set to automatically engage. It can be a pain at times because if I'm moving my truck out of or into the driveway, I still have to put my seat belt on or else if won't disengage but I live with it.

Also if your truck was built after July 10, 2022 it's not included (yet). My truck has a build date of 9/22 so it doesn't affect me (yet). And I think I have an open tailgate warning light, I'm not really sure though.
I have the Big tailgate picture about "tailgate open", but my truck is a early 2019, built April 2018. I also emailed my son, and he has a leased 2021, and he said he has had tailgate issues a few times, so gave him a heads up.

LOUD: If I have my E brake on, and want to back truck out, all I have to do is "put" foot on brake and push button to disengage the brake. Is that something differently programmed on the 22's? Or is it because U have the system automatically engaging the E Brake when you put in park? Hmmmmmm. Dunno since I engage the brake when I want to put on, not automatically. Wonder on that. Have U tried just putting foot on brake and push button to disengage?

I also neva buckle up to initially move truck as I have to open a gate to get to road, and I also close it before leaving, so only "buckle" up after truck near road beyond gate.

dwy 1.jpg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My son has a 2021 2500 that has a dent in the tailgate cause it popped open while towing a trailer and hit the jack post. Body shop wants $800 to fix it. Wonder if the recall will cover this?
Maybe dealership be nice, but maybe the only way for re-imbursement is once you have proof of recall and listing showing defective part and NHTSA recall required on son's identified truck, U may have to do small claims court to get any satisfaction on that particular issue,.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Big tailgate picture about "tailgate open", but my truck is a early 2019, built April 2018. I also emailed my son, and he has a leased 2021, and he said he has had tailgate issues a few times, so gave him a heads up.

LOUD: If I have my E brake on, and want to back truck out, all I have to do is "put" foot on brake and push button to disengage the brake. Is that something differently programmed on the 22's? Or is it because U have the system automatically engaging the E Brake when you put in park? Hmmmmmm. Dunno since I engage the brake when I want to put on, not automatically. Wonder on that. Have U tried just putting foot on brake and push button to disengage?

I also neva buckle up to initially move truck as I have to open a gate to get to road, and I also close it before leaving, so only "buckle" up after truck near road beyond gate.

View attachment 508894
I can set it up to do either but I can't do both at the same time. It's either automatic or manual. Yes, it automatically engages the E-brake as soon as I put it in park and disengages when I take it out of park providing I have my seat belt on.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can set it up to do either but I can't do both at the same time. It's either automatic or manual. Yes, it automatically engages the E-brake as soon as I put it in park and disengages when I take it out of park providing I have my seat belt on.
I got that, but cannot U not buckle up, put foot on brake, door closed of course, hit button and release E brake and move truck? I would not think they would stop that.

ALSO: LOUD, since U in S. Jersey, starting to get cold and ice and stuff freeze up. U may want to turn that system off if you know U got a big freeze type event coming, because if engaged and freezes, that could be an issue, just a saying. That is the same reason if I know there is freezing rain coming, I DO NOT fold in my mirrors, as they can freeze folded and you break them plastic gears real quick if U not think about it.

ADDED: I let hoss out in big yard in afternoon and fold in mirrors cause dat Big Mare liable to walk by and take mirror off of truck.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got that, but cannot U not buckle up, put foot on brake, door closed of course, hit button and release E brake and move truck? I would not think they would stop that.

ALSO: LOUD, since U in S. Jersey, starting to get cold and ice and stuff freeze up. U may want to turn that system off if you know U got a big freeze type event coming, because if engaged and freezes, that could be an issue, just a saying. That is the same reason if I know there is freezing rain coming, I DO NOT fold in my mirrors, as they can freeze folded and you break them plastic gears real quick if U not think about it.

ADDED: I let hoss out in big yard in afternoon and fold in mirrors cause dat Big Mare liable to walk by and take mirror off of truck.
I was thinking about the freezing rain this morning because we have a system coming in tomorrow and that's the one time I don't use my E-brake. I will probably turn off the auto brake for the winter.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found NHTSA PDF for Tailgate TSB:

Attachments

• NHTSA Recall Tailgate.PDF
    211 KB · Views: 23

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I still don’t think that lady should’ve gotten anywhere near what she got but it’s quite interesting what the guy in this video below says about that and several other frivolous lawsuits that have happened.

It why a string of Christmas lights or a 6 foot lamp extension cord come equipped with a dozen warning stickers.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It why a string of Christmas lights or a 6 foot lamp extension cord come equipped with a dozen warning stickers.
The owner of Werner Ladders once said that if he had to put a warning sticker on his ladders for every unsafe act he's heard about concerning his ladders, he couldn't make a ladder big enough to hold all the stickers.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Gas 6.4L V8
I’m sure some of you are having a little fun about people who have had their tailgate come down. Please continue your jokes. But I will tell you it was NOT fun. I was one who issued a complaint to RAM about the tailgate on my 2022 2500. The tailgate came down while I was driving and pulling a 28’ trailer. The gate came down EXACTLY on the switch that controls the electric front jack DOWN operation. Now, imagine pulling a trailer, having the jack go down while you’re driving and scraping / sparking and trying to lift the trailer OFF the ball! This has happened 4-5 times (only once while towing).

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure some of you are having a little fun about people who have had their tailgate come down. Please continue your jokes. But I will tell you it was NOT fun. I was one who issued a complaint to RAM about the tailgate on my 2022 2500. The tailgate came down while I was driving and pulling a 28’ trailer. The gate came down EXACTLY on the switch that controls the electric front jack DOWN operation. Now, imagine pulling a trailer, having the jack go down while you’re driving and scraping / sparking and trying to lift the trailer OFF the ball! This has happened 4-5 times (only once while towing).
No one's having fun talking about having your tailgate releasing. That's not fun at all, as a matter of fact, like you pointed out it's downright dangerous. I had it happen to my 4th gen. That was a recall issue too.

kenhulse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
The coffee spill has been totally exaggerated . the truth?
  • Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and ********, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat.
  • McDonald’s apparently knew that this was unsafe. In the decade before Liebeck’s spill, McDonald’s had received 700 reports of people burning themselves. McDonald’s admitted that its coffee was a hazard at such high temperatures. But it continued the practice, enforced by official McDonald’s policy, of heating up its coffee to near-boiling point. (McDonald’s claimed customers wanted the coffee this hot.)
  • Liebeck didn’t want to go to court. She just wanted McDonald’s to pay her medical expenses, estimated at $20,000. McDonald’s only offered $800, leading her to file a lawsuit in 1994.
  • After hearing the evidence, the jury concluded that McDonald’s handling of its coffee was so irresponsible that Liebeck should get much more than $20,000, suggesting she get nearly $2.9 million to send the company a message. Liebeck settled for less than $600,000. And McDonald’s began changing how it heats up its coffee.

Dieldrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 ETorque
My tailgate popped open by itself last week... I was on vacation and my bed was filled with luggage cooler etc, glad I was just driving around the hotel and not on the interstate.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Might have missed this, but have these ‘tailgates opening’ been on ones with a remote switch, manual, or both?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See my posts 13, and 30. There are some specific parameters ref recall. My son, who leases (dunno why), has a 2021 Lonestar that his gate has fallen 4 times. On mine, I have been fortunate. But I have the electronic lock only on the gate with illuminated "tailgate open" warning in EVIC, so allegedly my truck not included, the stuff is so vague who knows. BUT I do also have a full tonneau cover and if my gate let go, cover would hold it up, so guess I am just Lucky.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I wouldn’t even get a light on mine that the gate was open.

Hmmm, might not be a bad idea for a little mod for that :waytogo: