Tailgate Swap to RAM logo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wondering if anyone local-ish would want to swap tailgates with me. I’m looking to get the tailgate with RAM letters

must be in mint condition...no dents/scratches

upload_2020-10-13_15-16-53.jpeg

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, I've been following eBay and some junk yards. I did actually see your color on eBay not too long ago at a really low buy it now price. I almost bought it and had it painted to match mine. It was gone the next day when I had decide to pull the trigger on buying it unfortunately.

I have the black metallic tailgate and would swap with somebody that has the ram letters too lol... I'm in the same boat as you, I really dig the tailgate with ram letters. Best of luck, and a free bump.

OP
OP
Sgambots91

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, I've been following eBay and some junk yards. I did actually see your color on eBay not too long ago at a really low buy it now price. I almost bought it and had it painted to match mine. It was gone the next day when I had decide to pull the trigger on buying it unfortunately.

I have the black metallic tailgate and would swap with somebody that has the ram letters too lol... I'm in the same boat as you, I really dig the tailgate with ram letters. Best of luck, and a free bump.

thank you sir! I’ll keep an eye out on eBay as well

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is stopping you from just putting the letters on? Aside from being $100 per letter

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Its gona be hard to get somone to trade down to a standard tailgate, not impossable but hard to do. Just do what I did, buy a new tailgate shell from Mopar. There around $400 plus the cost of the letters and painting. I have around $800 invested in mine doing this but then sold my old tailgate shell for $400 so my total investment was $400!

Here is what you need. I recommend Benny at allmoparparts.com https://www.allmoparparts.com/

Rebel Tailgate
Mopar (68245874AI)
Black Letter R
Mopar (68245564AE)
Black Letter A
Mopar (68245565AE)
Black Letter M
Mopar (68245566AE)

Everything else is swaped over from your old tailgate. :)

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

62067656170__B9A173C4-1E5F-4011-B8CD-4768427C5638.JPG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Sgambots91 look on www.car-parts.com

What is stopping you from just putting the letters on? Aside from being $100 per letter

The Ram head is recessed into the tailgate slightly and unfortunately the letter "A" won't cover the indentation. He would have to get the indentation filled and tailgate painted.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

The Ram head is recessed into the tailgate slightly and unfortunately the letter "A" won't cover the indentation. He would have to get the indentation filled and tailgate painted.

Not easy to do cutting out the metal around the badge then welding in a new piece of metal. So easy to warp that sheet metal with the welding, it can be done but I bet a bunch of tailgates have gone to the waist side because of it.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well now, don't I feel silly. On the reverse of each of the letters, where they clip into the tailgate, how stout are those clips or tabs?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
On the reverse of each of the letters, where they clip into the tailgate, how stout are those clips or tabs?

Neither, those pins on the letters are just for alignment, they use an adhesive tape to hold them on like the door badges.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neither, those pins on the letters are just for alignment, they use an adhesive tape to hold them on like the door badges.
Yeah, I was aware of the tape. Mine is starting to lose adhesion. I was just curios if that was all that there was. Because each letter costs about $100, (im sure there are cheaper ones somewhere) I would be passed to pull back in the driveway after being in the woods to see one of those just fell off. When it gets to a point ill just remove it and retape it then, as opposed to shoving some new tape in the corners

16052209845469059352158837122779.jpg

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah, I was aware of the tape. Mine is starting to lose adhesion. I was just curios if that was all that there was. Because each letter costs about $100, (im sure there are cheaper ones somewhere) I would be passed to pull back in the driveway after being in the woods to see one of those just fell off. When it gets to a point ill just remove it and retape it then, as opposed to shoving some new tape in the corners

View attachment 227239

Are you sure your letters are OEM Mopar? Never seen one come off like that. Took an act of good to remove mine.

IMG_1049.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Its the same tape so far as I can tell. I have debadged my 2013, 15, and '17. And the tape has been the same on all of them. Just like your picture shows, one solid piece for every letter or number. Problem is that once they get peeked a little it will continue to release over time just from environmental factors. The more I clean it the more the fine sand and dirt can work its way behind the adhesive a little at a time.
I dont think there is any possible way it could ever fall off though. It would always take some persuasion.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yup. Its the same tape so far as I can tell. I have debadged my 2013, 15, and '17. And the tape has been the same on all of them. Just like your picture shows, one solid piece for every letter or number. Problem is that once they get peeked a little it will continue to release over time just from environmental factors. The more I clean it the more the fine sand and dirt can work its way behind the adhesive a little at a time.
I dont think there is any possible way it could ever fall off though. It would always take some persuasion.

I bet someone tryed to steal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.