Taillight Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLeistung

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone,

Quick question. I have a 2017 1500 Express model. So, I had a reverse lamp go out on me a little bit ago. I thought I'd just replace all the back bulbs out with LEDs. I know the trucks are picky with bulbs and like to throw the light out message on some brands and what not even if it is working because of the amps being monitored. (Thanks to exploring the forums) I saw that some consequences were the message out(no biggie) and the hyperflash with turn signals (surprisingly did not bother me for the couple weeks). However I was only using some cheaper auto zone LEDs. I love the difference they made for the third brake light, license plate lamps, and reverse lamps. However the ones in the taillights were so dim though and made reversing worse. I was even told by a trailing family member one day it looked as if my bulbs were about to burn out (during the daytime). The original halogens were brighter in my opinion. I'm traveling back home from PA to SC and wanted to be safe. So a couple days ago I threw in the regular halogen bulbs into the taillights and immediately it is telling me that the left signal is out. The bulb will be lit when the lights are turned on but it will not function for braking or left turn signals now. The message is on the dash and the hyperflash as if it is out. I tried switching the bulbs around and got the same result. I am not very mechanical but I love reading through the forums to learn about these trucks. I was just wondering if someone had some advice on what the issue could be or what can be done about it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ransom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VMI 3.0 TD
You want to use red LEDs for brake lights. Make sure you didn't loosen or bend any connectors.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your taillights utilize the reflector that is inside the housing to disperse the light from a halogen bulb, where a LED is more "focused" for a better word. The LED is more direct preventing the use of the reflector in the housing to work as it should. So, yes, the halogen is better in the taillights. The brake & turn of the bulb is one element, and the taillight is the other. It is possible you have a bad bulb, or part of the socket got bent, or try turning the bulb around. Also, Ransom is correct, use red LED for something like the 3rd brake light. I also add a little dielectric grease to any bulb sockets as well.