Tell me I’m foolish, or not ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m just wondering how many of you buy your power wagon because you love the looks, and less about the off road stuff. I love this truck, and the new PW 75 anni is a beautiful truck. But I don’t off road, and I’m not planning on getting into it. I grew up a farmer and have access to farm land, but I mostly just commute to and from work. So highway, city driving. But I love this truck!

so be honest with me, am I foolish to buy regardless of how much off roading I do, which will be very little? I might pull a smaller holiday trailer at most as far as towing goes.

Currently love my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, but this new PW is real nice ...

Wondering how many of you love to drive your PW and rarely see the off road.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my power wagon for the way it looks. My truck will never see off-road mud, snow or if I can help it rain. It is nice knowing I have one of the most capable trucks ever built, but will never use it two it’s true potential. I get many comments about this truck, it truly is unique compared to all the forwards Chevys and regular Dodge Rams.

All tucked away for winter time up here in western Pennsylvania. Too much salt and brine on the streets.

E6D0183A-5B80-4281-9889-9D7B1E89DDBF.jpeg

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you can afford it, drive what you love.

Robert fletcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a 2005 2017 2019 power wagon and ordered my 75th anniversary edition late October. I don't tow anything over 8000 pounds and it works great. It also because of the off road suspension rides much better then a regular 2500... honestly all trucks are expensive. Throw 35s on a PW and your pretty much done....they come done up pretty nicely. Don't think you will use the winch? Lol..I've straightened walls...lifted shingles and plywood on the roof...yes with a.power wagon. The raptor gets glory and why? It's not near as capable of a truck, costs more had a mini box a v6 and is a half ton...I call bs.. with the 8 speed auto and 35s I was still pulling 15 mpg on the highway...I don't make them a garage princess...life is short who gives a crap if there is what after ten years..I might be dead long before that..I do some off roading but nothing crazy...however when I had my 05 power wagon..it was like 2010 or so and a guy had a new chevy z71.. there was a sand hill..the power wagon with sway bar disconnect and lockers locked made it every time...the chevy never made it and I witnessed the front end bouncing a foot off the ground while the determined chevy guy (I don't think he even knew what a power wagon was) bear the crap out of his truck and never did make it..you like it , can afford it I'd say buy it! Used pws are scarce around minnesota. My 19 window stickered for 57500 or so.. they gave me too $$$ with 35000 miles on it..it was on the lot for 53k and lasted less then two weeks...I'm excited, hopefully molten orange looks good..lol.. I don't think you will regret it! I always get the ram box..love it

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’m just wondering how many of you buy your power wagon because you love the looks, and less about the off road stuff. I love this truck, and the new PW 75 anni is a beautiful truck. But I don’t off road, and I’m not planning on getting into it. I grew up a farmer and have access to farm land, but I mostly just commute to and from work. So highway, city driving. But I love this truck!

so be honest with me, am I foolish to buy regardless of how much off roading I do, which will be very little? I might pull a smaller holiday trailer at most as far as towing goes.

Ditto...
My 1500 Laramie does everything I need but I just liked the way the P.W. looked...
Ordered a 2021 ( non 75th) a month ago...

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Make this comparison... How about the guys who buy very expensive sports cars that can top 200 MPH..? Where in this country can that car be driven to its' full potential? Perhaps the driver occasionally puts it on a race track. That could also be called foolish, but the guy has a car that can "blow the doors off" of any other car between stop lights... Wow, how impressive indeed!
So, I'm foolish for owning the most capable off-road truck straight off the factory floor that will yank the competition out the way from the mud or snow bank and then drive right past them. Foolish ? Not a chance. We buy these trucks because of the extreme capabilities and their past heritage.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its your money so do what you want just remember that the PW is a whole different kind of animal than what you have now. Its going to ride considerably rougher, handle a lot different at higher speeds, have a lot less power and get noticeably worse gas mileage. For certain you will be more than happy with its off-road capabilities but I would take a good long ride at all speeds on paved roads with it just to make sure.

Reactions: BWL

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Life is way too short not to have some happiness for yourself. If'n you're feeling it, go get it!

Then post a pic, please!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Its your money so do what you want just remember that the PW is a whole different kind of animal than what you have now. Its going to ride considerably rougher, handle a lot different at higher speeds, have a lot less power and get noticeably worse gas mileage. For certain you will be more than happy with its off-road capabilities but I would take a good long ride at all speeds on paved roads with it just to make sure.

I'm not sure where you're getting the 'a lot less power' line from, but everything else in here is true. My PW has more power than any gas-powered truck I've ever driven that wasn't a performance truck, it's just big and heavy so it isn't FAST. It wasn't built to be, though it'll still burn the rear tires if I turn off traction control and mat it.

That said, I bought mine because I loved the look AND all the features, even though I've only used them a few times. But I'm one of those guys who prefers to be ready for anything and hope everything goes right.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
go take a 2019 0r 2020 PW for a test drive. then decide if you want to order one. I think my 2020 pw drives and rides extremely well and mpg has been much better than I thought it would be. Is it a 0-60 or 1/4 mile king? nope but it does get up and go when you punch it even with 35's. From what I see on 0-60 tests the 19 and up with the 8sp is improved over the older 6speeds.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
5 reasons other than off-road usage...

1. With the Power Wagon you will have a better view of the road, an enhanced ability to avoid a potential hazard, and see traffic problems coming up more than the 1500.

2. With the Power Wagon being heavier than the 1500 you just lowered your chances of being a fatality in a road accident. This also means that the guy who hits you with your old 1500 will more likely to be the one whom gets injured.

3. With the Power Wagon being a 3/4 ton versus a 1/2 ton for the 1500, the brakes, frame, and axles are more over built. It's more durable. Unlike the Duracell bunny though it's heavy and so you'll feel more planted on the road versus jumping around.

4. With the Power Wagon it's easier to find a parking spot. With all of the parking spots taken you see a 1500 double parked. Just pull out out your synthetic winch line and ...

5. With the Power Wagon's 33's tires and 2" lift you'll look down at the drivers of 1500's. With 37's you'll look down at the traffic. With 40's you'll need a pilot license.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have had 3 Silverado and a Nissan Armada since 2007, all were new, 4x4 and major mechanical dumps. I think the late model PW'S look awesome, I didn't know they existed beyond the 90's. I treat my truck like my Harley, plenty of TLC, paint stays on shine and I drive around pot holes and puddles...lol

Its kinda like having a 200mph car, it's nice to know you can, but you dont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pudge

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I understand that it will be a different ride, but I’m surprised you say it will have a lot less power. That’s one I wouldn’t expect. It’s a 6.4 vs 5.7, so ....?

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I understand that it will be a different ride, but I’m surprised you say it will have a lot less power. That’s one I wouldn’t expect. It’s a 6.4 vs 5.7, so ....?

The 1500's weigh a little over 2000 #'s less than the 2500's, there's your "less power" feeling.
6.4L 410 hp 429 tq
5.7L 395 hp 410 tq

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
0-60 or 1/4 mile will favor the 1500 with 5.7 if you were in a side by side race simply because of weight and aerodynamics. The 6.4L feels plenty powerful at least with an 8speed tranny.

If you are not worried about racing you won't miss that extra second or two less in 0-60 times. your fun meter will still be pegged more often in the PW.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Besides its heavier weight the Power Wagon has a 4.10 to 1 axle ratio with larger tires than the 1500 which possibly has a 3.21 to 1 axle ratio. It's no high speed demon other than jumping off of the line. By putting tire chains on all 4 tires, shifting it to 4x4 low, locking the front and rear axles, disconnecting the sway bar, and hooking up a utility trailer with sufficient supplies for a year, the Power Wagon can be quickly prepared for the Armageddon.

Daboink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have always liked me a big ol' truck; this is my first Power Wagon. Actually I just ordered a 75th Ann edition and still waiting. Looks, Iconascity, are the things that sucked me in, but I will enjoy pulling normal stuff (for me), sitting up high on the road, getting compliments and the ability to go off-road (I will only do the milder trails... may head to Moab once, but think I will be staying on the top side of the trails). Can't wait.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You guys sometimes forget you are driving a truck to begin with

Load 1500lbs in the 1500 and the 2500. Then drag race. You will see the magic of the BGE.

As for buying a Powerwagon and not using it.

Please...PLEASE...buy as many as you can. Take good care of it. please...PLEASE...at least cycle the lockers 4wd and disconnects every once in awhile.

This will give me plenty to buy from used.

If I can make a request. Tradesman with Powerwagon Package. Any of the low volume colors...especially the greens, oranges and yellows. Get the towing technology package.

Thank you.