Temporary Film for Paint Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I need to find a film to run down my truck sides to prevent scratches when in brush country. And then peel it off when home. I saw a product called "Trakwrap" that looks promising. Have any of you guys used it? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks, Robert

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve considered a wrap, I went to a local shop and inquired; however the manager wasn’t very encouraging. Could be he just didn’t want the hassle or perceived some liability if it failed.

I have seen some trucks with Line-X on the body. Of course that’s permanent.

There are also the clear protective films from 3M and others. Semi permanent, as removal after years is labor intensive.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AutoX guys use blue painters tape for a track day .....

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Like a fat chick in a 2 piece, my truck wears its tiger stripes with pride.

Nah but seriously, 90% of the pinstripes I have on my truck so far can be buffed out with a medium cutting polish and dual orbital polisher. I plan to do this after hunting season.

The other 10% will just be stories.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And this is why I bought a white truck... :)

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pinstripes build character and only the first one hurts.

But if the thought of pinstripes makes you nauseous get it professionally wrapped.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Nothing "temporary" will really provide much protection. Anything that will won't be easily removed or cheap.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
with the crap quality of FCA paint, or modern auto paints in general, i wouldnt recommend.... the paint is literally falling off my ramboxes and i saw a new bmw m4 with the trakfilm and it literally pulled off the clearcoat. i love xpel and vinyl wraps but they are ridiculous to remove and sometimes cause these issues.

i would use custom magnet sheets to lay on the sides of the truck...
for me, i always planned to Linex the truck completely once i was fed up with the black pinstripe paint job im sporting.
my trucks paint is no bueno, but i really dont care for myself, just an issue when i go to sell lol

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
This came out for Jeepers a few years ago. Just "find" some magnetic signs on vehicles stick them all over. Heck you could even get some business and hire your truck as a rolling billboard. Just don't take m ine for my wife's business

upload_2020-12-9_10-56-46.png

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've never used those magnetic panels but I can't imagine them sealing well enough to prevent grit from getting under the edges and creating a sanding block.

OP
OP
SkeeterBait

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys thanks for the thoughtful replies! I like the idea of the magnetic panels, never thought about that one. The best part about magnetic is they can be peeled off at the end of the day and reused later.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I've had a wrap on my 2013 Land Cruiser and it's held up very well to years of desert abuse. It's got all sorts of battle scars but nothing that's reached the paint. A good wrap isn't cheap though and needs to be replaced every 3-4 years otherwise you risk doing real damage to the paint when trying to remove it. It's def performed better than I'd expected as far as pinstripe protection.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've never used those magnetic panels but I can't imagine them sealing well enough to prevent grit from getting under the edges and creating a sanding block.

I have the one for my wife's business on the tailgate and I was worried about the scratching too. Living on the dirt roads, I hardly ever wash the truck because in one trip the dust covers everything. When the road is wet, the truck looks like the Jeep when we went out in it. But the every once-a-while time I take the power washer to the truck, I start by taking the sign off and there is nothing under it. Not even the fine dust that seems to into the interior of the truck that I roll all the windows up when I park it. The common sense thing of making it sure both the surface and the sign are clean is the way to go.

On the Jeep forum, there were a couple of guys that bought the above magnetic panels (1 was even black) and they never reported any issues. I soon traded the Jeeps in and haven't kept up on any long term use of them.