Test Drove a 2019 Laramie Today. Is This Stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I went to the dealership and test drove a 2019 Laramie that I've been watching online for a few weeks. It was a great truck and the ride was what I was expecting. My current truck is a 2014 Big Horn with the Pentastar motor. I've been happy with it but I think I need to step up to the Hemi. After I got out of the new truck I noticed that it is a fair amount lower than my current truck. My truck has a stock suspension with 20" wheels. The new one is definitely lower as I didn't need to use the sidestep at all. In fact it was pretty annoying just being in the way. I was wondering if anyone knows do the new model come with a lowered suspension as a stock setup or maybe this is one someone did themselves and then traded into the dealership. I walked away from it since I like how my truck is set up and I'm not sure I'd like the lowered setup especially in the winter or on sloppy roads. The tires were also definitely performance radials and not A/T. This is the first truck I've looked at of the new model so I don't want to waste my time looking at anymore of these models if this is a stock variant. Ram has really upped their game as far as the interior goes. These trucks now rival luxury cars.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I went to the dealership and test drove a 2019 Laramie that I've been watching online for a few weeks. It was a great truck and the ride was what I was expecting. My current truck is a 2014 Big Horn with the Pentastar motor. I've been happy with it but I think I need to step up to the Hemi. After I got out of the new truck I noticed that it is a fair amount lower than my current truck. My truck has a stock suspension with 20" wheels. The new one is definitely lower as I didn't need to use the sidestep at all. In fact it was pretty annoying just being in the way. I was wondering if anyone knows do the new model come with a lowered suspension as a stock setup or maybe this is one someone did themselves and then traded into the dealership. I walked away from it since I like how my truck is set up and I'm not sure I'd like the lowered setup especially in the winter or on sloppy roads. The tires were also definitely performance radials and not A/T. This is the first truck I've looked at of the new model so I don't want to waste my time looking at anymore of these models if this is a stock variant. Ram has really upped their game as far as the interior goes. These trucks now rival luxury cars.
Air ride?? As you said its a Laramie

Black 20 Ram

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it a 2 wheel drive, I have 20in wheels on mine and I have to step up to get into it, I'm 6ft 1, Limited has the Air Ride.

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I traded my 14 Sport for a 19 Laramie, both 4X4 and had/have 20 in wheels. The 19 had a one size smaller tire on it so I decided to measure the height of both. The 19 was about 1" taller than the 14 so I assumed that was why the tires were slightly smaller on the 19. I measured roof height not to the top of the sharkfin.

Something tells me you should see air suspension on the sticker. If it had it, the switch would be under the radio in-line with tow haul and other switches.

If the truck was used, it could be lowered.

OP
OP
Mohican69

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
This was a used truck and I didn't see any button for the air ride. I believe this probably had an aftermarket lowering kit on it. If I had to guess it's at least a 2" front and 4" rear drop.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 5th gens are not lower than 4th gens. Since it's a used truck, all bets are off. The Rebel sits 1 inch higher than other models. But the off road group on the other models brings the ride height up 1 inch to match the Rebel's height. I wouldn't write-off the entire Ram 1500 5th gen lineup because of one test drive of a used 2019.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I use the nerf bar to step up into my '19. it has the 1" higher orp and 20" a/t tires..so maybe the laramie in question has no lift plus low profile street tires..could be 2 or 3" difference.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Mine feels about the same as my 2014 height wise, they did go to a smaller 32" tire instead of the 33" tires which may be where the difference is. If you want it to be higher you can get the offroad package option for an extra 1" or the Rebel which is 2" taller I believe as it has bigger tires.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine feels about the same as my 2014 height wise, they did go to a smaller 32" tire instead of the 33" tires which may be where the difference is. If you want it to be higher you can get the offroad package option for an extra 1" or the Rebel which is 2" taller I believe as it has bigger tires.
A one inch taller tire would only give you 1/2 inch of "lift". FYI...Sitting side by side, my daughter's 2019 Rebel sits less than 1 inch higher than my 2020 Laramie with the ORG. Probably due to the tire difference (33.2 inch vs 31.9 inch). The Rebel and the other 1500 models with the ORG are at the same ride height, with tires being the only real difference.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed the same thing.

While my current truck was in the shop (Last Nov) I had a 2019 Laramie 4x4. When I walked up to the truck it looked so low in the front that I had to look under it to see if it was actually a 4x4, It was. Can't remember what size the tires were, but I know my 13' 1500 sat up higher even after removing the 1.5" front leveling kit that had broken bolts.

A leveling kit would raise the front. I see a few in the parking lot every day and still notice how the new trucks look lower in the front when compared to the older 4th Gen. Maybe just me?

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I noticed the same thing.

While my current truck was in the shop (Last Nov) I had a 2019 Laramie 4x4. When I walked up to the truck it looked so low in the front that I had to look under it to see if it was actually a 4x4, It was. Can't remember what size the tires were, but I know my 13' 1500 sat up higher even after removing the 1.5" front leveling kit that had broken bolts.

A leveling kit would raise the front. I see a few in the parking lot every day and still notice how the new trucks look lower in the front when compared to the older 4th Gen. Maybe just me?

lower front end = better fuel economy ?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The Laramie stock tire size is 18".

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035813 miles.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035813 miles.
Sorry, but to be clear the wheel size is 18".

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Just to clarify, the "base" wheel size for the Laramie is 18 inches. But not the only stock wheel size. My Laramie came with a stock wheel size of 20 inches.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You didn't mention whether or not it had the air ride suspension ... I have the Laramie Longhorn with air ride and it has a exit-entry setting at the push of a button ... If the sales person was with you they may have activated it when you returned to the dealership without you knowing ... This would lower the truck from it's normal ride height ...

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Laramie and the height between my 2013 and my new one is roughly the same height—- 4x2 Both had/have 20” tires.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Just to clarify, the "base" wheel size for the Laramie is 18 inches. But not the only stock wheel size. My Laramie came with a stock wheel size of 20 inches.

ya mine came with 20's. after I test drove it and went home the dealer switched them out to 22's..when I came back the next day to buy the truck I saw that and had em put the 20's back on because the 22's would not be as well suited for my plans for towing and mountain driving..and I liked the all terrains that were on there before