Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

The First Oil Change -New Owner Questions

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Bunion, Mar 1, 2014.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Bunion

Bunion Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 Express
    Engine:
    5.7L PIG EDITION
    I thought I would post this here. I came to General Discussions first when I came to this site. I'm a new Ram owner.

I bought a new 2014 Ram Express 5.7. I love it but hate to fill it. You can relate.

My truck was brand new and had 10km (Canadian). It now has 3000km. I'm planning on doing the oil change somewhere between 4,500km and 5,000km myself. I'm looking for some advice from the members. I'm planning on using Mobile1 5-20. I want to change the oil every 5,000km. I know I can go longer but whatever. Here's a list of questions I have.

How much oil goes into a 5.7L MDS VVT Engine?

Is buying the oil filter at the dealership A wise idea so they have a record of it?

What filters are recommended?

Would you use Synthetic if you were going to change the oil every 5,000km?

What oil do you use?

What should be inspected on the truck at 5,000km?

Keep all receipts and....?

Whats important is to dot all the "I's". We all know that the dealers will look for any reason to void your warranty. I've done many oil changes and I don't want anyone other then me servicing the truck. Lets face it... they have high school kids change your oil.

So what advice do you have for new owners that want to service their own trucks?

Attached is what my dealership gave me.

Attached Files:

• oil.jpg
      oil.jpg
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Phylodog

Phylodog Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2012 & 2018
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
    It's definitely a good idea to keep receipts if you are under warranty. Chrysler replaced the rear end of my Rubicon under warranty to the tune of over $4700 but not before trying to get out of it. They asked if I had receipts for the required maintenance to the vehicle, specifically the gear oil in the axles. I had them but they were in e center console of my 2002 Ram when my step son totaled it for me. Fortunately I had purchased the axle, tranny and transfer case fluids from the dealership right after I bought it used to do a complete fluid change. I told the service manager that I had, he looked it up on the computer and printed out a new invoice that read $150 instead of $4700.

3. Bunion

Bunion Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 Express
    Engine:
    5.7L PIG EDITION
    Oooook... Yea keeping receipts is the key. I kind of figured buying some stuff from the dealer is a good idea. I would not buy motor oil but filters and gear oil I would buy at the dealer. I can't see them charging to much extra for oil filters.

I got the extended warranty cause I know something will go after 60,000km and I don't feel like spending thousands. The extended warranty was $1700 on top of my price for the truck. I work in a quarry and my suspension takes a beating everyday, so I know something will break. The sales guy said at 99,000km to come in and get a full inspection done on the truck for $99 and that way all the problems will be fixed before my warranty runs out.

4. NYCruiser

NYCruiser Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You're going to get all kinds of answers on this here.

I plan to use conventional oil that is recommended in my owners manual (Penzoil) and follow the onboard computer for when to change. That is the oil that the computer is calibrated for. I just don't see any reason to out guess it.

I'm at 3K miles now and the computer says I am about 50% on my oil.

I'll probably keep my truck until the 100K drivetrain warrantee expires, then trade it.

5. h2oman

h2oman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You can enter all of your maintenance at Chrysler. https://www.moparownerconnect.com

Start your own page with your vin. Anything the dealer does on your vehicle will automatically be entered. Then you can enter anything you do and you'll always have records. It will also track your schedules and tell you when services are needed. Also tells you of any recalls. Ram mobile apps for your phone as well.

6. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Like everyone else has said, definitely keep all receipts and keep a log of all maintenance done regardless of whom performs the service.

I believe, unless something has changed recently, that Mobile 1 is not an approved oil for the 5.7L Hemi. It has to do with a long term test that has yet to be approved. If you are going to change your oil that often, then you are wasting money on a synthetic oil.

I change my oil based on the oil life meter or once every six months. I purchase Chrysler's oil change contract, for us it is around $70 for four changes and the contact has a life of two years, hence the reason I change once every six months.

I think you are being a little over-protective with the frequency of the oil changes.

7. The Crow 1994

The Crow 1994 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
    To me, it looks like your dealership is trying to get more oil changes out of its customers than need be. If I remember correctly, my 2013 Ram 1500 user manual recommends not going any longer than 10,000 miles or a year between oil changes and using the OLM to notify you when to have the oil changed in your truck. I'm using a synthetic oil & filter (Pennzoil Platinum & Fram Ultra) and will go somewhere between 7,500-10,000 miles between oil changes. More than likely it'll be closer to the 10,000 mile mark.

8. The Unabomber

The Unabomber Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Mobil 1 is one of the best options available IMO. It use to be factory fill until Penzoil was given the contract. My assumption would be due to cost they switched.

I personally run Mobil 1 Extended Performance in all of my stuff with the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter. ( has the gold cap on the bottles ) It's good for a year or 12k.

It's kept all my third gen and up Hemi's happy since 2006.

9. Mojo

Mojo Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just did my first oil change on my 2014 1500 Lone Star at 3500mi. My OLM was at 62% and judging by the look of the oil I could easily waited until 5k. I'm sure the factory fill was with quality oil but I like knowing that I have a high quality synthetic oil in the truck. I used 7 quarts of 5w-20 Redline with a Royal Purple filter. I have been running Redline in my vehicles for the past few years with excellent used oil analysis results. For kicks I sent in the factory fill for a uoa so those results should be in soon.

bskl76 and arod412 like this.
  10. arod412

arod412 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Mojo... I'm planning on doing the same in the next couple of months. Definatly let us know of the results because I'm interested. One of the other guy on here BURLA is doing the se thing with redline. He knows all about the oils in these trucks and how they run so I trust him.

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"