THIS is what a gear selector should look like for an electronic transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Well, I don't have the silver knob but when I do make a mistake its moving too fast without thinking. i do regularly go to the wrong knob and once even accidentally put it in reverse while driving down the road. Thankfully there's a safety interlock preventing the action (and transmission self-destruction). Had a '62 Valiant (first car) with the push buttons, worked well, and people still talk about the notoriety of those "push-button transmissions". The knob seems to get more negative comments from the uninitiated, but it does work without looking.

Sal2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Bring back a stick shift option. We're not all little girls wanting to drive around in pus-case autos.
I'm keepin my 06 6sp till they bury me or I can buy a new RamCat 6sp.
May be lookin at a engine swap soon.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If they did start putting in buttons, I hope they at least make them aluminum or metal (like the original Mopars). Having plastic buttons for the radio and climate control is one thing, but having a plastic button as your transmission selection would suck. The buttons on the Linc look cheap as hell just sitting there in matte plastic. Idk why but every time I see a Ford interior I want to blow chow.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your adjusting volume instead of shifting, dont be trying to blame the truck lol USER ERROR

EDIT: The same people wondering why there truck isnt moving but there volume is going up would be finding things to complain about that set up. How about you simply pay the F attention to what your doing eh?? what a concept right

Last edited:

pjs386

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those early '60s Chrysler Corp push button transmissions setups were called Torque-flites vs hydromatics, fordomatics or powerglides.

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P_20180319_163109.jpg
Bring back a stick shift option. We're not all little girls wanting to drive around in pus-case autos.
I'm keepin my 06 6sp till they bury me or I can buy a new RamCat 6sp.
May be lookin at a engine swap soon.
I wish they made a 1500 6Spd standard shift...I can't stand automatics!!! At least my shifter is on the floor... Ill add to the whining though.... Shifters should have knob not be a knob!!!!

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If standard transmissions were still a little more popular in the light-duty trucks and if automatics haven’t come as far as they have, you’d probably still see more manual sticks but they’re really only gonna cater to what the general population wants.

I get why people like to feel like they’re in control of the shifting but man, I’m not gonna lie to ya. After slingin’ this shifter around all day, I’m happy to get into my pickup at the end of the day and just put it on the “D” and haul ass....lol.
c584203f3c572c3758e8582d9b6a2250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I think the knob looks better than the buttons, just a personal opinion. Some people blow the whole rotary shifter "problems" way out of proportion. It's different, yes. But you get used to it. I have never mistaken it for the volume knob. At the end of the day, it's simply a way of switching PRND, nothing more and nothing less.

And as for the automatic vs. manual, automatic transmissions have come to the point where they surpass stick shift in both efficiency and performance. About the only thing stick shift has going for it is driver engagement, but it can also become cumbersome in traffic. Most people just want to get in their vehicle and drive from point A to B without dealing with a clutch and thinking about which gear they should be in. Stick shift is becoming obsolete.

Last edited:

eqcmjhuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
KINDA like the round shifter.MYself i dont look at my radio when i backup.I been looking in a rear view mirror for sixty five years.LIKE my back up camera there so added one to mirror.REAL dumb stuff is radio that answers phone talk etc but no blue tooth volume control on steering wheel 2016 dodge hemi5.7cheaper model.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
KINDA like the round shifter.MYself i dont look at my radio when i backup.I been looking in a rear view mirror for sixty five years.LIKE my back up camera there so added one to mirror.REAL dumb stuff is radio that answers phone talk etc but no blue tooth volume control on steering wheel 2016 dodge hemi5.7cheaper model.

You would think, in this day of age that they’d all come standard with the remote steering wheel controls especially on the trucks that have Uconnect but just like at one point when air conditioning, cruise control and even AM/FM radio, were all just options.

But yeah to answer the concern- you can get steering wheel mounted volume control, you just have to spring for the higher-ended models. I know, dumb... but that’s how it is. Maybe the new hideous ‘19s will be different.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some might say, having the dial and bench seat sure frees up a lot of space in the front of the cab for some..extracurricular activities:hmm:

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was one who was a tad put off by the knob on the dash and was looking for reasons to not like it. After almost a years and about 8K miles, i must say that it has become second nature. i have made it my business to actually THINK about what I am doing. If I still want to waffle over it, I would like the shifter to rest my hand on, be it column or console, but it sure isn't the big thing that some are making it, at least to me.

I learned to drive on those MoPars with the pushbutton trannys in the 60's so I remember them well. When they changed to the column mounted unit, there was a bunch of quacking going on too. As for the inane FOMOCO arrangement, right next to the other dash mounted things, THAT seems more like a PITA than the RAM knob. My daughter has a Lincoln thing with that exact dash and I had to move it once, after I got my RAM. She can keep it. Talk about having to think before doing! That, plus it is obviously a rebadged Ford anyway!:D

Will_Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I mean, sheesh, am I the only guy who likes the shifter knob?

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I mean, sheesh, am I the only guy who likes the shifter knob?
No your not! After a few months of having it I'm happy with it. Don't miss a column shifter, don't miss a floor shifter. I only ever rested my hand on em anyway and i'm sure not fooling myself this is my old 'cuda. In fact I'm happy to not have that stuff in the way and it definitely doesn't feel any less manly, not even sure how you'd get to that place lol.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If standard transmissions were still a little more popular in the light-duty trucks and if automatics haven’t come as far as they have, you’d probably still see more manual sticks but they’re really only gonna cater to what the general population wants.

I get why people like to feel like they’re in control of the shifting but man, I’m not gonna lie to ya. After slingin’ this shifter around all day, I’m happy to get into my pickup at the end of the day and just put it on the “D” and haul ass....lol.
c584203f3c572c3758e8582d9b6a2250.jpg

They're not catering to the general population. They're catering to the government. It's all about gas mileage. A computer can shift faster and more efficiently than you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're not catering to the general population. They're catering to the government. It's all about gas mileage. A computer can shift faster and more efficiently than you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they failed miserably with my truck then because that automatic of mine ain’t helping me at all on gas mileage. Matter of fact I’d probably get better mileage with a stick.

Even the old Ram got ****** mileage. That was my fault and that automatic transmission didn’t do anything to make the truck get better mileage.

But contrary to your government conspiracy theory stuff, there’s more people who actually prefer automatics over standards. Hell most people nowadays don’t ever know how to drive a damn stick anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981