Has a solution been found for the Shift to P then to Desired Gear fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davisbrookshire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Non eTorque
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie CCSB 4x4 I bought used at the beginning of February. The week after I bought it it started to have the issue where coming to a stop, it would stay in 4th gear and then it would pull itself into neutral. This was first just something that would happen infrequently then it would happen every time I was on the brakes and it got to under 5 MPH. After looking at the trans temp I found it would almost never happen under 100 degrees unless you go back into the truck after it was already warm. Dealer I bought it from said it was probably the shift knob. After waiting for 3 months for the part, it got installed Wednesday (5/18/22). Was fine when I left the dealership but the issue came back the next morning, I have an appointment with a different dealer this coming Wednesday. However, this morning, after driving 55 MPH backroads the truck went into neutral at a stoplight when the transmission was all the way up to temperature, something that has never happened before. I have also found that putting the truck into Tow/Haul mode makes it not happen.

Being a former Mopar dealer this isn't an issue I had heard about with these trucks, and this isn't the first 5th Gen I've had. Everyone I've spoken to has said nothing but great things about these trucks, myself included up until now. I know this is on Ram's radar and I hope they're finding a way to fix it.

Ram Cares

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Never heard that one either. Be interested to hear what it turns out to be. Best of luck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've read about similar types of issues for etorque equipped Hemi's. But I don't remember reading about anyone with the non-etorque Hemi having this type of issue. Please keep us updated after your dealership visit. Maybe @RamCares can help out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie CCSB 4x4 I bought used at the beginning of February. The week after I bought it it started to have the issue where coming to a stop, it would stay in 4th gear and then it would pull itself into neutral. This was first just something that would happen infrequently then it would happen every time I was on the brakes and it got to under 5 MPH. After looking at the trans temp I found it would almost never happen under 100 degrees unless you go back into the truck after it was already warm. Dealer I bought it from said it was probably the shift knob. After waiting for 3 months for the part, it got installed Wednesday (5/18/22). Was fine when I left the dealership but the issue came back the next morning, I have an appointment with a different dealer this coming Wednesday. However, this morning, after driving 55 MPH backroads the truck went into neutral at a stoplight when the transmission was all the way up to temperature, something that has never happened before. I have also found that putting the truck into Tow/Haul mode makes it not happen.

Being a former Mopar dealer this isn't an issue I had heard about with these trucks, and this isn't the first 5th Gen I've had. Everyone I've spoken to has said nothing but great things about these trucks, myself included up until now. I know this is on Ram's radar and I hope they're finding a way to fix it.

Ram Cares
Greetings,
We're glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Ram Cares
I've read about similar types of issues for etorque equipped Hemi's. But I don't remember reading about anyone with the non-etorque Hemi having this type of issue. Please keep us updated after your dealership visit. Maybe @RamCares can help out.
Thank you for the tag!

SwiFtEnRo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L

Ram Cares
I would direct you over to my post https://www.ramforum.com/threads/shift-to-p-then-desired-gear-2017-ram-1500-limited.197810/ I had a similar issue and it ended up being the oil in the transmission