This isnt an oil thread, LOL! Quick Oil question though.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I watched a youtube video, this person had a Ram and went from using 5w 20 to 5w 30. Is this a thing? Does it make any difference? I am curious what other Ram owners think and if anyone has done it. Before I forget, please skip the voided warranty thing, thats not why I am asking. Just generally curious if bumping it makes any difference and what others have experienced when doing it.

Thank You!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I watched a youtube video, this person had a Ram and went from using 5w 20 to 5w 30. Is this a thing? Does it make any difference? I am curious what other Ram owners think and if anyone has done it. Before I forget, please skip the voided warranty thing, thats not why I am asking. Just generally curious if bumping it makes any difference and what others have experienced when doing it.

Thank You!

As @crash68 said not a really a thing. The person, who did the video say why they were doing it?
From my experience it's been other way around. I recall in my area anyway. 10W30 was 'normal' or 5W30. Now it's 5W20 which is what my Truck says.

I'm in sort of cold area. so very common for people to put 0W20 At or Near winter months.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Thank You!
Read the note at the bottom.This is from the 700 page printed manual.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 67

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I've been running 5w30 in all my rams or dodge products for many years and a few hundred thousand miles, all hemis, all routinely used. I have not seen any downside. 14 ram rt 76k, starting run 5w30 at 40k. 16 ram laramie 80k, 5w30 since 1st oil change, Durango rt, 30k, 5w30 since 1st oil change, 11 ram sport, gone but not forgotten, 150k, 5w30 since 80k.

Never replaced a cam yet. Could happen tomorrow, but not so far.
I don't baby and run the hemi hard, 6 to 8k oci. RP or SRT filters.

-40 to 110F degree outside temp

I'm probably not in your normal control group.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2022 takes the 0w20 per manual

Let's be frank, the manual is sometimes stupid. It also says the transmission fluid is "lifetime" when the actual manufacture (zf) says to change it every 90k miles or whatever the number is.

Engineering is always a compromise. Cost, quality, livability, there is no perfect answer for every choice. What we know is that thicker oil protects more, and thinner oil gives dubiously tiny incremental improvements in MPG. If you value every single penny of gas you put in, you'll lean towards 0w-20, but if you care about keeping your engine alive as long as possible then the better choice is 0/5w-30 or heck even a 40 weight runs just fine (I've done it for a summer).

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Somewhere in threadland there is a test for wear that shows 5W-30 provides less wear than 5W-20. Read it long ago. At the sacrifice of tenths of a mile per gallon fuel economy due to higher viscous oil drag.

Use 5W-30 for most conditions. 0W-30 in cold (or HPL year round). 5W-40 if'n you tow heavy or hot.

Done.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For my 2017 it has the same "you can use 5w30" note for the 3.6L only. Doesn't say that for the 5.7L.
Supposedly the gubberment nannies had something to do with them removing the 5.7's from the note.Apparently from what i've gathered up,the trucks won't consistently meet their advertised milege numbers using 5W-30,so they were forced to remove them from the 5W-30 reconmendation in early 2017

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Supposedly the gubberment nannies had something to do with them removing the 5.7's from the note.Apparently from what i've gathered up,the trucks won't consistently meet their advertised milege numbers using 5W-30,so they were forced to remove them from the 5W-30 reconmendation in early 2017

And theeeeeeere it is, folks...another tenth of a mile per gallon or so, as the ONLY criteria not to recommend 5W-30.

If anyone that represents the company so much as whispers 5W-30 is better for reducing wear, the EPA will swoop down and fine the ever living $hit outta them if they ever find out.
Ask me how I know.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And theeeeeeere it is, folks...another tenth of a mile per gallon or so, as the ONLY criteria not to recommend 5W-30.

If anyone that represents the company so much as whispers 5W-30 is better for reducing wear, the EPA will swoop down and fine the ever living $hit outta them if they ever find out.
Ask me how I know.
Ok.
How I know?

ETzXHnNXQAEdJaB.jpeg

:D

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For my 2017 it has the same "you can use 5w30" note for the 3.6L only. Doesn't say that for the 5.7L.

I also run the Redline 5w30 sauce in the wife's POS Penstar in her JK.

Im already getting lifter noise at 40xxx KM , the idiot that owned this before me ran cheap garbage oil as well. I know this because he went to the stealer**** to get work done like a ******* moron. He was actually proud to tell me this . lol... Must be the same type that believes in lifetime fluids... hahahahah

Another engine they couldn't build properly at the factory just like the HEMI. At least with the HEMI its easy to fix.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also run the Redline 5w30 sauce in the wife's POS Penstar in her JK.

Im already getting lifter noise at 40xxx KM , the idiot that owned this before me ran cheap garbage oil as well. I know this because he went to the stealer**** to get work done like a ******* moron. He was actually proud to tell me this . lol... Must be the same type that believes in lifetime fluids... hahahahah

Another engine they couldn't build properly at the factory just like the HEMI. At least with the HEMI its easy to fix.
Our Pentastar sounds clean on 0w-30 red line at just over 91k km, but I've had it on decent oil since we bought it and flushed out the dealer stuff. That's also getting switched to HPL next change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357