This isnt an oil thread, LOL! Quick Oil question though.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@HEMIMANN - the even scarier version?
What other fluids have I paid to have changed/flushed but weren't done?
I've paid for brake fluid, and confirmed it looks good.
I've paid for coolant, and confirmed it looks good.
I've paid for front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and 8-speed transmission :eek:

As a shade tree mechanic and certified old fart I haven't confirmed that those 4 drive train fluids were done, and I doubt I would know if i looked. Well, the tranny I would most likely, but I haven't looked. Been fairly sick to my stomach lately.

This dealer has actually been really good to me on numerous occasions, in ways they didn't need to be. I'm a pretty good judge. I've had some sort of tool in my hands for over 60 years, and in customer service for over 50 years. I used to have a great feeling about the place but I'm rattled now and I don't like it.

I said earlier I've already located a reputable independent shop even closer to home. Met with owner and one tech, talked about my history and concerns, and we're going to do business. I already have 8 quarts of PUP 5w-20 in the garage, just waiting for a RP 20-820 filter to arrive and we'll get that questionable oil out and fresh, known-to-be-good oil/filter installed.

As of today the truck runs great, it's whisper quiet, everything is working as it is supposed to.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@HEMIMANN - the even scarier version?
What other fluids have I paid to have changed/flushed but weren't done?
I've paid for brake fluid, and confirmed it looks good.
I've paid for coolant, and confirmed it looks good.
I've paid for front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and 8-speed transmission :eek:

As a shade tree mechanic and certified old fart I haven't confirmed that those 4 drive train fluids were done, and I doubt I would know if i looked. Well, the tranny I would most likely, but I haven't looked. Been fairly sick to my stomach lately.

This dealer has actually been really good to me on numerous occasions, in ways they didn't need to be. I'm a pretty good judge. I've had some sort of tool in my hands for over 60 years, and in customer service for over 50 years. I used to have a great feeling about the place but I'm rattled now and I don't like it.

I said earlier I've already located a reputable independent shop even closer to home. Met with owner and one tech, talked about my history and concerns, and we're going to do business. I already have 8 quarts of PUP 5w-20 in the garage, just waiting for a RP 20-820 filter to arrive and we'll get that questionable oil out and fresh, known-to-be-good oil/filter installed.

As of today the truck runs great, it's whisper quiet, everything is working as it is supposed to.

The now retired Car Talk guys always recommended independent service shops, as does Consumer Reports. I quit going to Dealerships except for recall or warranty work. There are a number of superb independent shops in most areas unless you're really out in the sticks.

dennisok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you really want technical questions on anything oil related the best place to go is the "REDACTED PER FORUM RULES". He provides great advise on anything oil related.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you really want technical questions on anything oil related the best place to go is the "REDACTED PER FORUM RULES". He provides great advise on anything oil related.

Uh, did you actually sign up just to tell us that?
Signed up at 01:31, posted at 01:38, logged off at 02:11?

dennisok

Junior Member · 69 · From Denver
Joined Today at 1:31 AM Last seen Today at 2:11 AM

Anybody remember who was asking what a "robot" is, because I think I may have found one. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pup5w30 & wix xp and don't idle. I live in the northern climate and have not had any piston slap or anything related to that.

8_ball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
In my 2018 Hemi RAM says 0W20 so it is 0W20.