Thoughts on my new 2022 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm lazy and don't want to search. Do the shutters actually have a measurable effect on milage? Should I be fabbing up some grill plates for the winter so I can enjoy increased milage? Since I got my Michelin Defenders, I've noticed a serious drop in milage. With the new tires and the noise reduction mods I've made I find myself cruising at 75+ where before anything over 65 was too painful for more than a couple minutes.

114percy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi All. I just bought a 2022 1500 Classic that I ordered as a factory build. Thought I’d share my experience and thoughts about the truck. While I was waiting for my truck, I did a lot of reading on this forum so I wanted to add a little back.

First of all, some may be interested to know that I took delivery of my truck exactly 1 month and 1 day from the date of order. I was expecting to wait around 6 to 8 weeks but I was pleasantly surprised. The dealer was surprised as well. I did buy a somewhat base truck so that may have helped. It’s a Tradesman RCLB RWD V6. I was replacing a 2007 RAM 1500 RCLB RWD 4.7 that I had bought in 2015 as a second vehicle. I quickly fell in love with it and it became my DD. Unfortunately, its latest problem wasn’t easily remedied and I gave up on it. It had around 160K miles when I bought it and I gave it up at 220K. Besides the engine and alternator, everything in the truck had been replaced at one time or another. I have no idea how the truck was cared for prior so I can’t really fault RAM.

When it came time to find a replacement, my first preference would have been Toyota. However, the 2022 is a complete redesign with a newly introduced (for Tundra) 6 cyl twin turbo engine. I don’t buy the first 2 years of a new design and I don’t like turbos at all. So, Toyota was out. GM, Ford and Nissan were never in the running (had a really bad experience with a Silverado and I just don’t like Ford and Nissan). Also, I wanted a regular cab so RAM Classic it was.

Obviously, the RAM is brand new but I’m impressed thus far with the build quality and design. It’s a couple hundred pounds lighter than the old truck but it feels substantially heavier. I guess that’s good and bad. Good in that everything is much tighter and it feels like a tank but I really prefer the feel of the old truck. It felt much more nimble and maneuverable; the steering was MUCH lighter and the engine felt more responsive.

So far, the V6 seems adequate but that’s about it. The HEMI was just too much engine for me and I didn’t want the drama associated with it. I don’t tow but I do fill the bed to capacity on occasion. I do wish that they still offered a smaller V8 option between the two engines. Around town, the V6 is fine and the gas mileage is impressive so far. On the highway, the V6 shows it’s lack of power. As an example, cruising around 60 and getting up to 70 involves some drama. I’m accustomed to just giving a little gas and having the speed rise steadily in the same gear. In order to accomplish this with the V6, you need to really put your foot down to get anything to happen. I’m not sure how people in hilly terrain get along with this engine. Keep in mind also that my truck configuration is among the lightest.

I didn’t get 4WD because I have a second vehicle that has AWD that’s great in the snow. I’m in central NJ so snow is not a major concern and the worst this truck will ever see is the occasional dirt/gravel road. I did get the LSD so I’ll see how that works out. I think the old truck had LSD and I would shovel a bunch of snow over the rear wheels and it did fine for my area.

So far, my only minor gripe is the clock or lack thereof. How does a work truck not have a dedicated clock? In order for the time to appear on the screen, the radio has to be on. No radio, no screen. I typically don’t drive with the radio on. So, for me to get a clock in the cab, I have to mute the radio and make a screen selection. When I restart the truck, it does not save this preference. The volume on the radio is restored and it defaults to the radio page. I have to hit the mute button and select a different screen on every startup. Very annoying.

Last random thought about Active Grill Shutters: I wasn’t sure if my truck was going to come equipped with them but it did. I was sure, based on what I’ve read here, that I would remove most of the slats. I’m going to leave them for now and keep an eye on the temps. I’m wondering if they changed the operation of the shutters. Mine close and open once on startup to test and then remain open during warmup. This morning, it was in the high 50’s and they remained open. Perhaps it’s not cold enough out yet. So far, I noticed that the coolant temp stays between 199-203F while on the road which seems fine. When idling or backing down my driveway it will climb past that but I doubt removing the shutters will help in that limited scenario. I think the highest I’ve seen is 213F.

114percy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi All. I just bought a 2022 1500 Classic that I ordered as a factory build. Thought I’d share my experience and thoughts about the truck. While I was waiting for my truck, I did a lot of reading on this forum so I wanted to add a little back.

First of all, some may be interested to know that I took delivery of my truck exactly 1 month and 1 day from the date of order. I was expecting to wait around 6 to 8 weeks but I was pleasantly surprised. The dealer was surprised as well. I did buy a somewhat base truck so that may have helped. It’s a Tradesman RCLB RWD V6. I was replacing a 2007 RAM 1500 RCLB RWD 4.7 that I had bought in 2015 as a second vehicle. I quickly fell in love with it and it became my DD. Unfortunately, its latest problem wasn’t easily remedied and I gave up on it. It had around 160K miles when I bought it and I gave it up at 220K. Besides the engine and alternator, everything in the truck had been replaced at one time or another. I have no idea how the truck was cared for prior so I can’t really fault RAM.

When it came time to find a replacement, my first preference would have been Toyota. However, the 2022 is a complete redesign with a newly introduced (for Tundra) 6 cyl twin turbo engine. I don’t buy the first 2 years of a new design and I don’t like turbos at all. So, Toyota was out. GM, Ford and Nissan were never in the running (had a really bad experience with a Silverado and I just don’t like Ford and Nissan). Also, I wanted a regular cab so RAM Classic it was.

Obviously, the RAM is brand new but I’m impressed thus far with the build quality and design. It’s a couple hundred pounds lighter than the old truck but it feels substantially heavier. I guess that’s good and bad. Good in that everything is much tighter and it feels like a tank but I really prefer the feel of the old truck. It felt much more nimble and maneuverable; the steering was MUCH lighter and the engine felt more responsive.

So far, the V6 seems adequate but that’s about it. The HEMI was just too much engine for me and I didn’t want the drama associated with it. I don’t tow but I do fill the bed to capacity on occasion. I do wish that they still offered a smaller V8 option between the two engines. Around town, the V6 is fine and the gas mileage is impressive so far. On the highway, the V6 shows it’s lack of power. As an example, cruising around 60 and getting up to 70 involves some drama. I’m accustomed to just giving a little gas and having the speed rise steadily in the same gear. In order to accomplish this with the V6, you need to really put your foot down to get anything to happen. I’m not sure how people in hilly terrain get along with this engine. Keep in mind also that my truck configuration is among the lightest.

I didn’t get 4WD because I have a second vehicle that has AWD that’s great in the snow. I’m in central NJ so snow is not a major concern and the worst this truck will ever see is the occasional dirt/gravel road. I did get the LSD so I’ll see how that works out. I think the old truck had LSD and I would shovel a bunch of snow over the rear wheels and it did fine for my area.

So far, my only minor gripe is the clock or lack thereof. How does a work truck not have a dedicated clock? In order for the time to appear on the screen, the radio has to be on. No radio, no screen. I typically don’t drive with the radio on. So, for me to get a clock in the cab, I have to mute the radio and make a screen selection. When I restart the truck, it does not save this preference. The volume on the radio is restored and it defaults to the radio page. I have to hit the mute button and select a different screen on every startup. Very annoying.

Last random thought about Active Grill Shutters: I wasn’t sure if my truck was going to come equipped with them but it did. I was sure, based on what I’ve read here, that I would remove most of the slats. I’m going to leave them for now and keep an eye on the temps. I’m wondering if they changed the operation of the shutters. Mine close and open once on startup to test and then remain open during warmup. This morning, it was in the high 50’s and they remained open. Perhaps it’s not cold enough out yet. So far, I noticed that the coolant temp stays between 199-203F while on the road which seems fine. When idling or backing down my driveway it will climb past that but I doubt removing the shutters will help in that limited scenario. I think the highest I’ve seen is 213F.

114percy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the 2015 Durango with the V6. I pulled my 3250 lb RV trailer from Ohio to Utah and down hw 1 through Cali and back home to Ohio 6500 miles. I never had any problen with not enough power. We even pulled over 11000ft pass.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Oliver,
Are you ever near SEMI trucks ?

Semi trucks have AGS, only you can plainly see them work

Before they had shutters, they would have a canvas cover that was partially open, if they were running too warm, they would open the canvas cover a bit more, but they only used the canvas in late Fall to late Spring.

winter front for a semi

1664866691227.png
AGS for a semi
1664866819511.png

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Just a quick note on the clock issue. Instead of muting your radio, just turn the volume down. When you
restart your truck it will be the same as when you shut it down.
This occurred to me but I thought I wouldn't hear incoming phone calls. Incoming calls defeat the mute function. Also, my screen reverts back to the radio screen on startup so I'm still pushing buttons. Not being able to have the screen on when the radio is off is ridiculous especially since there's a dedicated "screen off" button. What is that button for? Why would I want the screen off if the radio is on??

The people that came up with this arrangement have never set foot in one of these trucks and are logic challenged.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
@HunterCat That's a great looking truck! I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two 4th gen RCLB's in the wild.

I like the color, the steel wheels, black bumpers, etc.
Thank you!

I'm not a fan of chrome and I really like the absence of it on this truck. Before the truck was delivered, I was certain that I would black-out the steel wheels with Plasti-dip or whatever. In person, the steel wheels don't look nearly as bad as they appear on RAM's site. I'm going to leave them as is.

Also, I'm going to add a twill tonneau cover over the bed. Probably the Truxedo Pro X15.

People that know me must think I'm nuts with these regular cab trucks (only landscapers around here have them :)) but I like the configuration. In the 7 years I owned the prior truck, I never once missed having a back seat but the extra bed space proved useful many times over. I actually have a tent that's made for the 8 foot bed (wish I had a photo). I set the tent up and throw an air mattress in the back and I'm comfy.

Nigel Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just pickup my 2022 2 wd 2door pickup. I'm only disappointed that ram doesn’t have push button start get real Ram

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't been able to tell any difference in fuel mileage with the shudders out, on side roads, mountain roads, or longer interstate trips. I check my fuel mileage each fill-up. I'm at 22.3 this tank, 22.8 since I bought the truck. Been colder, so letting it warm a bit longer in the mornings.

On another note. This is my first short bed truck since 1983. But, really liking the extra room in the back of the cab to carry things. Also, I kept my '94 2500 for hauling big stuff.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I just pickup my 2022 2 wd 2door pickup. I'm only disappointed that ram doesn’t have push button start get real Ram
Congrats.

The lack of a push button doesn't bother me especially when considering everything that goes along with it like proximity sensors etc. I must sound like a real dinosaur but I like to keep things as simple as possible. I do need some practice getting this newfangled "key" in the slot though :).

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you!

I'm not a fan of chrome and I really like the absence of it on this truck. Before the truck was delivered, I was certain that I would black-out the steel wheels with Plasti-dip or whatever. In person, the steel wheels don't look nearly as bad as they appear on RAM's site. I'm going to leave them as is.

Also, I'm going to add a twill tonneau cover over the bed. Probably the Truxedo Pro X15.

People that know me must think I'm nuts with these regular cab trucks (only landscapers around here have them :)) but I like the configuration. In the 7 years I owned the prior truck, I never once missed having a back seat but the extra bed space proved useful many times over. I actually have a tent that's made for the 8 foot bed (wish I had a photo). I set the tent up and throw an air mattress in the back and I'm comfy.
i have the truxedo pro x15 on my 21 rcsb and love it. gotten a bunch of compliments on it too. its nice and low profile.

Hammer9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I just received my 2500 4x4 built in Mexico and the underside was covered with dirt and mud. The detailer at the dealership told me about it and I'm finding dirt and mud in places it shouldn't be. Has anyone else had this happen?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I just received my 2500 4x4 built in Mexico and the underside was covered with dirt and mud. The detailer at the dealership told me about it and I'm finding dirt and mud in places it shouldn't be. Has anyone else had this happen?
I would be pretty pissed if I was not the first to put mud and dirt on

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I doubt the truck being assembled at the Saltillo Truck Assembly Plant had anything to do with the condition of your truck. Like most vehicle manufacturing in Mexico, Ram's are loaded onto rail cars right from the plant for transport to the USA border. Saltillo is a pretty much state of the art plant. You can see the rail cars in the center of the google earth shot.
I'd check your local dealer's storage lots-you might be surprised.
Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 4.41.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-30 at 4.41.43 PM.png

Hammer9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The truck had 21 miles on it when we picked it up. We had the sprayed in bed liner installed. I heard it's not done at the factory. Not sure. Maybe it's 10 miles away down a dirt road?

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The truck had 21 miles on it when we picked it up. We had the sprayed in bed liner installed. I heard it's not done at the factory. Not sure. Maybe it's 10 miles away down a dirt road?
My 2107 1500 had the sprayed-in bed liner done at the factory-it was a listed option.
Dealers are always hard pressed for space to store inventory. Out here, dealers store cars all over the place. I once called on a CJDR dealer that stored cars in a grassy lot. A lot of the insulation used in cars today attracts ants by its smell. Dealer solution? Set off a bug fogger......INSIDE THE CAR. You never know what dealership employees will do.
I'd wager the mud was local.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

I have the factory spray in bed-liner as well. My truck came with 9 miles on it and the undercarriage was spotless.