Throttle body cleaning and catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
2016 5.7. 88,000 mi. Received a billet catch can for Christmas. Between this and that and the weather, I finally got a free day with relatively decent temps and no rain. Wanted to do the throttle body cleaning before installing the catch can. I watched a you tube vid and I must say, taking off the throttle body was super easy. It did have a heavy ring of buildup right along the butterfly contact points so it had to be effecting the opening and closing. The butterfly itself was pretty clean and there was some overall buildup on the bore above and below the butterfly. I used non chlorinated brake cleaner on a rag, tooth brush and lots of Q tips. After it was almost sparkly new, I did give a few direct sprays to get a couple pieces between the bore wall and the butterfly making sure to hold the electronics at the top so the spray runs down and away. After reinstall, I did the catch can. Neighbor came over and was talking to me as I was wrapping up catch can install and reinstalling the intake tube. After neighbor left, I realized I forgot to put the hemi cover back on. Had to take off the intake tube again (KN CAI) and put on the cover. It was harder to get that damn cover back on than it was to do the TB removal, cleaning and reinstall.

Not sure if it’s just me but the truck seems to have more power when I hit the gas and seems to get up and go a lot smoother too. Cant believe dealer would want like $200 to do a TB cleaning and there is no way they would have done what I did With the same amount of care. Probably just would have sprayed crap in there and sent me on my way.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well done! I'm a big fan of the catch can; I'm curious but I doubt you'll ever get that kind of buildup on your TB again.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The catch can should definitely help prevent future build up if it is a quality one. Nice to see your work pay off with an instant improvement like that

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
The catch can should definitely help prevent future build up if it is a quality one. Nice to see your work pay off with an instant improvement like that

just curious…. Am I really seeing a performance improvement or is it just me?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are probably seeing performance back to where it started. As you get that build up your performance slowly starts to degrade. By cleaning all of that you got things back to normal. Depending on how bad things were before cleaning it could be a noticeable difference.

sb1033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
glad to hear, i'm looking into one so i can install it with the 6.4 airbox.

on a sidenote, I can guarantee a dealer wouldnt clean one that well... when i worked at a toyota dealer some of the more swamped techs wouldnt even remove the throttle body to clean :oops:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed with performance back to where it was. I did mine at 139k and it was actually really clean. Its good to do it ever so often.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good move with catch can i empty mine every oil change and can't believe how much oil in it half full atleast.
Mine doesn't catch that much, does that mean its a cheaper version? I'm seriously asking. I just went outside and emptied mine it had about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil in there.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mine doesn't catch that much, does that mean its a cheaper version? I'm seriously asking. I just went outside and emptied mine it had about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil in there.
It depends alot on how you drive the truck.If you drive more like Grandma ,you're catch can won't have as much in it,compared to if you drive the truck like you stole it.The more you like to hear that Hemi roar,the more you'll get in the can.

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Half a cup aint bad i change my oil every 4k miles and tow a boat and drive fast thats probably why i get more in mine