Throttle Body upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njohnson6425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was wondering about the advantages of upgrading the throttle body. I have a 2008 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7. I'm not sure if my stock size is 80. I was thinking the 84mm size. Any thoughts?

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 86mm fastman and love it. idle is incredibly smooth. works great w kn63 series CAI. my truck laid this hit down an hour ago. not bad for 23k truck.20181211_194412.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was wondering about the advantages of upgrading the throttle body. I have a 2008 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7. I'm not sure if my stock size is 80. I was thinking the 84mm size. Any thoughts?

Little to nothing in quantifiable performance gain with a stock or strictly bolt on modified truck. The return on investment (cost vs gain) is very lopsided unless you do some more serious modifications to the engine, i.e. blower/turbo, alot more cam, alot more cylinder head, displacement increase, etc.

i have a 86mm fastman and love it. idle is incredibly smooth. works great w kn63 series CAI. my truck laid this hit down an hour ago. not bad for 23k truck.View attachment 148991

Apples to oranges, you have an eagle hemi in an '11 with much better cylinder heads, vastly superior intake manifold, variable valve timing and more cam; if 23K means 23,000 miles, that truck is barely broken in. It may actually get a little faster with age. Regardless, average 0-60 times for stock 4th gen Rams is in the neighborhood of 5.5-6sec. Yours is obviously tuned, so of course it should be a bit faster.

The stock TB's are more than large enough to feed a mildly modified engine, especially a 5.7. Stock 5.7 hemi TB bore is 80mm and has not changed since 2003, even with the introduction of the VVT engine in '09. On top of that, both the 6.1 and 6.4 use(d) the same 80mm TB. Only the wildly boosted 6.2's got a factory upgrade to 92mm. Even more perspective, that monster 1000hp crate Hellephant 426? It uses the stock Hellcat/Demon TB.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Little to nothing in quantifiable performance gain with a stock or strictly bolt on modified truck. The return on investment (cost vs gain) is very lopsided unless you do some more serious modifications to the engine, i.e. blower/turbo, alot more cam, alot more cylinder head, displacement increase, etc.

Apples to oranges, you have an eagle hemi in an '11 with much better cylinder heads, vastly superior intake manifold, variable valve timing and more cam; if 23K means 23,000 miles, that truck is barely broken in. It may actually get a little faster with age. Regardless, average 0-60 times for stock 4th gen Rams is in the neighborhood of 5.5-6sec. Yours is obviously tuned, so of course it should be a bit faster.

The stock TB's are more than large enough to feed a mildly modified engine, especially a 5.7. Stock 5.7 hemi TB bore is 80mm and has not changed since 2003, even with the introduction of the VVT engine in '09. On top of that, both the 6.1 and 6.4 use(d) the same 80mm TB. Only the wildly boosted 6.2's got a factory upgrade to 92mm. Even more perspective, that monster 1000hp crate Hellephant 426? It uses the stock Hellcat/Demon TB.

So you would vote against a modded throttle body

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So you would vote against a modded throttle body

On what is basically a stock engine, yes. I have an 85mm sitting in my garage that someone gave me. I put it on one of my LX's just to see if it would make a difference (butt dyno would feel it more in a lighter vehicle than my truck). It was a tiny bit louder; acceleration and how hard it pulled were unchanged. Only mods are a canned tune, CAI & catback. As I said, return on investment if you go out and buy a new one, as the cheapest ported TB's for hemi's start at about $300. People everywhere go nuts buying these things, swear they're magical fairy nut dust and the holy grail.......on their completely stock, naturally aspirated engine. Next oil change (since I have to pull the intake to empty the catch can) I pulled it off and put the stock one back on. It's not a worthwhile thing to get something that would allow possibly (depending on how it's ported/modified, since this varies quite a bit by vendor) more air in on an engine that doesn't have the capability to move the increased amount of air. OEM's spend millions in R&D getting these things pretty well optimized as a package, sometimes leaving a little extra for later. People who are a helluva lot smarter and get paid a helluva lot more than I do figure this stuff out.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
On what is basically a stock engine, yes. I have an 85mm sitting in my garage that someone gave me. I put it on one of my LX's just to see if it would make a difference (butt dyno would feel it more in a lighter vehicle than my truck). It was a tiny bit louder; acceleration and how hard it pulled were unchanged. Only mods are a canned tune, CAI & catback. As I said, return on investment if you go out and buy a new one, as the cheapest ported TB's for hemi's start at about $300. People everywhere go nuts buying these things, swear they're magical fairy nut dust and the holy grail.......on their completely stock, naturally aspirated engine. Next oil change (since I have to pull the intake to empty the catch can) I pulled it off and put the stock one back on. It's not a worthwhile thing to get something that would allow possibly (depending on how it's ported/modified, since this varies quite a bit by vendor) more air in on an engine that doesn't have the capability to move the increased amount of air. OEM's spend millions in R&D getting these things pretty well optimized as a package, sometimes leaving a little extra for later. People who are a helluva lot smarter and get paid a helluva lot more than I do figure this stuff out.
awesome thanks good to know sorry if it seems like I jacked the thread

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
awesome thanks good to know sorry if it seems like I jacked the thread
Wasn't my thread lol, anyway all you did was ask my opinion.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
No single component makes a hugh difference in performance. It takes a combination of parts that compliment one another to improve performance. Speaking only of the 3g trucks the common mods were CAI, muffler, headers and TB. Next round was cam, heads, gears and TC. Depending on level of dedication, money and the desire to make the old truck fast you either keep modifying or sell it. The more modified it is the more attention it requires. Our trucks make great hobbies, but are poor investments.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
No single component makes a hugh difference in performance. It takes a combination of parts that compliment one another to improve performance. Speaking only of the 3g trucks the common mods were CAI, muffler, headers and TB. Next round was cam, heads, gears and TC. Depending on level of dedication, money and the desire to make the old truck fast you either keep modifying or sell it. The more modified it is the more attention it requires. Our trucks make great hobbies, but are poor investments.
So your for a throttle body then because I have everything else on your list for first step

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Yes, I believe most hemi owners are too conservative with the TB size and would benefit using larger TB's. Some years ago I was using a Fastman 86mm TB and installed a MegaSquirt ecm which uses drive by cable TB. I installed an adaptor plate and a 90mm LSX TB which was much bigger than anything built for a 5.7 with heads and FBO. It had good idle and great low end power pulling to 7000 rpm. When I removed the Megasquirt ecm went to a modified 05 pcm (FBW) I found BBK was offering a 90mm TB and used it without issues. I still used that same BBK 90mm TB on a boosted 397 stroker without issue. So yes, IMO on TB's going bigger is not a problem.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Is there any that you suggest specifically? And how much did you notice from the megasquirt

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
My experience is with a 05-08 BBK 90mm. I replaced the 03 TB plug with a 05 TB plug and it was plug and play. At the time I believe I was using a 03 (auto) pcm. I couldn't get the 03 pcm to play nice with the 545rfe. Swapped the 545rfe with a 46rh trans and flashed the 03 pcm with manual software. B&G suggested I use a 03 manual pcm and swapped one in. Still was having tuning issues on boost. Swapped in a 05 manual pcm to eliminate tuning issues. Clearly with the many changes it is impossible to say how significant the 90mm TB is, but I'm sure it is considerable. You can count on the next one will be the biggest available.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
My experience is with a 05-08 BBK 90mm. I replaced the 03 TB plug with a 05 TB plug and it was plug and play. At the time I believe I was using a 03 (auto) pcm. I couldn't get the 03 pcm to play nice with the 545rfe. Swapped the 545rfe with a 46rh trans and flashed the 03 pcm with manual software. B&G suggested I use a 03 manual pcm and swapped one in. Still was having tuning issues on boost. Swapped in a 05 manual pcm to eliminate tuning issues. Clearly with the many changes it is impossible to say how significant the 90mm TB is, but I'm sure it is considerable. You can count on the next one will be the biggest available.
I have a 05 anyways so life is alot easier lol
I meet a guy who tunes Rams all he put on a 05 was a throttle body cai tune and headers and absolutely walked a 18" rt

Last edited:

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 23k. is how much i paid for the truck new in december 31 2010. sticker was 33k. it is one w a am radio and rubber n floor board. a work truck w 17" steel rims
the dealer paid 17k for the truck. it is a 4door 4x4 5.7 hemi 545rfe on 33s". was suggesting ram trucks are a good truck for less money than some other makes. for the record my truck was nothing close to 5.5 stock. actually over 7 sec. like most of us i have made a lot of mods, i think most of them are listed in my profile. moe's performance and hemifever can help u get where u want to b, they helped me and i found them nice and polite w fair prices. i see u can get a hellcat engine now as crate engine. I'm poor so thats out for me, but if this guys got the money thats sound like the way to go. 700hp and end it.

merry xmas