Throttle lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwestwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
My '16 eco diesel has awful throttle response until the temperature is up. Would a cold air intake help?

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably not. The throttle response is controlled by the ECM and Throttle Position Sensor. The Engine Control Module is programmed to provide a certain amount of throttle for a certain amount of pedal press (which sends a certain amount of voltage - the more the pedal is pressed, the more voltage sent to the input on the ECM) - but the ECM also has a programmed "delay" before it opens the throttle more.

There are four things you can do:

1) purchase and install one of the aftermarket Throttle Response Controllers - the two that are most popular and also most villified are Pedal Commander, and Pedal Monster. I have my preferance, but do your own research on those and make sure you know what the pitfalls of using such a device are as well as HOW they interact with your system;

2) Have your ECM reprogrammed/retuned for better throttle response.

3) Purchase an OBD Link MX+ and AlphaOBD and follow one of the guides here to "slightly" improve your throttle response by adjusting the Throttle Response settings using Alpha, or

4) Get used to it.

A CAI will slightly (about 1-3%) improve your MPG and maybe your tourqe. Some people swear by them - but I personally don't think it will do all that much for you.

I did add a little more power using aftermarket Coil Packs - but I have a gas engine, and diesels don't use them AFAIK - not a diesel expert so I could be wrong.

Good luck!