Timbren SES Suspension system users, comment please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking for some impute for my 2019 Big Horn Classic as I have yet to tow my toy hauler but concerned about the rear end sag. Not looking to spend a lot of money because I may only tow once or twice a year and I was looking at the Timbren SES Suspension system but have read that it makes for a stiffer ride. That is understandable as it shortens the travel of the suspension and 99% of my driving will be without a trailer.

My thought is since these are simple to install could one just slip these on when needed and go back to stock when NOT needed?

Also is the ride really comfort decreased with these installed. The description reads “Effectively Decreases Road Shocks” but I have read where people say “It rides extremely rough” and “Feels like your bouncing when driving down the road”.

I would like to hear from people who have experience with this product.

I only leveled out my Ram with Bilstein shocks, no other suspension changes.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had timbrens on my truck. Ride like a lumber wagon empty, with a load it was fairly smooth. I would look at super springs. I won’t ever use timbrens because of the ride when empty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Depending on your trailer/load in the bed, Timbrens can ride rough if they're not in contact with the rear axle.
They're simple enough to install/remove that of your only towing once or twice a year you could pull them out when not towing.
Another option would be AirLift 1000 in coil air bags, they're actually less expensive

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Depending on your trailer/load in the bed, Timbrens can ride rough if they're not in contact with the rear axle.
They're simple enough to install/remove that of your only towing once or twice a year you could pull them out when not towing.
Another option would be AirLift 1000 in coil air bags, they're actually less expensive

I gave that a thought and was considering a pair but I read a comment that they don't last long. I see on Amazon that these” Air Lift 60818HD Air Lift 1000 HD" carry a lifetime warranty but if I buy through Amazon they are the ones who handle the replacement, at least that’s as far as I was able to get on the warranty issue. If I go this route I most likely will purchase from Air Lift themselves.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I go this route I most likely will purchase from Air Lift themselves.
They're based in Lansing, Michigan of you have any warranty issues. :-D

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I gave that a thought and was considering a pair but I read a comment that they don't last long. I see on Amazon that these” Air Lift 60818HD Air Lift 1000 HD" carry a lifetime warranty but if I buy through Amazon they are the ones who handle the replacement, at least that’s as far as I was able to get on the warranty issue. If I go this route I most likely will purchase from Air Lift themselves.

I had Airlift 1000's in my 2016 1500 and had no issues. I actually cut them out because the dealer was confident that they were causing a suspension noise, which I knew they weren't, but to appease them I cut them out. They were hard to cut through and had no significant wear on them. I installed a new set after the dealer couldn't blame the airbags and had no issues. At one point I emailed them asking if they had a stainless option for hardware because mine was looking rusty and they said while they don't have a stainless upgrade, they would send me out new hardware at no cost, which they did. I had the airbags in my 2016 essentially from day 1 and I got a couple years before I cut the first set out. I ran separate lines to each bag rather than using the tee because I don't want air from one bag going to the other if I'm cornering or have an unbalanced load. It also got rid of a potential point of failure (the plastic tee). I stubbed them out by the license plate for easy access and with the valve stem covers on they were pretty inconspicuous and easy to route the lines.

I hear the same complaints about Timbrens; rough ride due to the large bump stops. I liked the airlift because I could adjust them according the load I was carrying- there's no compomise when driving empty and when loaded with the camper there was no more porpoising due to the soft factory suspension. Well worth the price tag of under $100.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I had Airlift 1000's in my 2016 1500 and had no issues. I actually cut them out because the dealer was confident that they were causing a suspension noise, which I knew they weren't, but to appease them I cut them out. They were hard to cut through and had no significant wear on them. I installed a new set after the dealer couldn't blame the airbags and had no issues. At one point I emailed them asking if they had a stainless option for hardware because mine was looking rusty and they said while they don't have a stainless upgrade, they would send me out new hardware at no cost, which they did. I had the airbags in my 2016 essentially from day 1 and I got a couple years before I cut the first set out. I ran separate lines to each bag rather than using the tee because I don't want air from one bag going to the other if I'm cornering or have an unbalanced load. It also got rid of a potential point of failure (the plastic tee). I stubbed them out by the license plate for easy access and with the valve stem covers on they were pretty inconspicuous and easy to route the lines.

I hear the same complaints about Timbrens; rough ride due to the large bump stops. I liked the airlift because I could adjust them according the load I was carrying- there's no compomise when driving empty and when loaded with the camper there was no more porpoising due to the soft factory suspension. Well worth the price tag of under $100.

Thanks for your response. I had a pair of Firestones on my Chevy but sold it in less than a year due to it not having enough grunt for my Forest River Toy hauler. The Ram should not have an issue except for the sag that I will eventually decide on a fix for. The only trouble I see is attaching the air lines when in place. I had a shop do the Firestones for this reason. I do have a son-in-law that I can lean on for a little help with the install so push come to shove it just may be the Air Lift 60818HD's.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Classic and installed the Timbren SES kit on my truck for hauling my camper and with them installed without a trailer I have about a inch between the bump stop and the top of the axle, When towing the trailer the truck definitely sits more level and doesn't squat near as bad. With the trailer hooked up the ride is definitely rough, you feel every little crack in the road and really feel the big bumps and holes. With no trailer the ride isn't horrible under normal conditions because the axle isn't touching the bumpstop but when you hit a big bump you feel it pretty good. Ill probably look into a better airbeg setup in the near future. It is very simple to change the timbrens out with the truck on the ground at ride height.

Rob

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2019 Classic and installed the Timbren SES kit on my truck for hauling my camper and with them installed without a trailer I have about a inch between the bump stop and the top of the axle, When towing the trailer the truck definitely sits more level and doesn't squat near as bad. With the trailer hooked up the ride is definitely rough, you feel every little crack in the road and really feel the big bumps and holes. With no trailer the ride isn't horrible under normal conditions because the axle isn't touching the bumpstop but when you hit a big bump you feel it pretty good. Ill probably look into a better airbeg setup in the near future. It is very simple to change the timbrens out with the truck on the ground at ride height.

Rob

Well, made up my mind thanks to the comments received... ordered a set of Timber Grove air bags.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have both and both work well on my 09 ram 1500. Unloaded I never know the timbrens are there and let the air out of the bags so no issues. I think both are great products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk