Timing change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I would put high temp rtv in the bolt hole and thread in the bolt. I don't know if Teflon tape would work on a straight bolt. As far as my truck goes it use to take off quite nicely from a stop, and anytime you wanted more power it was there. Now when you mash the gas it boggs till the engine builds some rpms. Like a turbo lag. So it acts like a tiny engine till after 2000 and then you get normal power. I also have a tune that advances the timing and helps to give it even more low end torque than stock. Now it feels like you're towing a huge trailer every time you take off.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might have to do as you said but deal the bottom first since I still have to tap the threads. I felt it and stopped that second. I just don't want any thread cutting down into that hole. I will either add a washer or maybe shorter bolt? I have enough distance to get a secure grip to tighten down.

Now I understand what your saying to the go kart reference. lol. Is it maybe a timing issue? Its sounds like something isn't kicking in when you need it to.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I might have to do as you said but deal the bottom first since I still have to tap the threads. I felt it and stopped that second. I just don't want any thread cutting down into that hole. I will either add a washer or maybe shorter bolt? I have enough distance to get a secure grip to tighten down.

Now I understand what your saying to the go kart reference. lol. Is it maybe a timing issue? Its sounds like something isn't kicking in when you need it to.
There's no timing adjustment. If it were out of time it would run like crap and give a code for camshaft correlation. This is because the distributor signal has to be in perfect time with the crankshaft position sensor.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't sure. It's like your dealing with a gremlin. I have never dealt with anything like that. Tranny issues seem to show up when it goes into limp mode. Plume was more like loss of horsepower deal. Nothing like you are saying. Sorry can't help you in return.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Wasn't sure. It's like your dealing with a gremlin. I have never dealt with anything like that. Tranny issues seem to show up when it goes into limp mode. Plume was more like loss of horsepower deal. Nothing like you are saying. Sorry can't help you in return.
Lol, Gremlin for sure. No problem. I was just making conversation.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, Gremlin for sure. No problem. I was just making conversation.

I'm being sluggish today. Did water pump now questioning should have done it dry? Lol no big deal. Might swap it out for a Felpro rubber gasket anyway. It's not like I have anything in the way for a quick swap. Lol. Sitting here now trying to understand the vacuum line system. It rotted a while back and I just plugged up but really need to fix it so I have controls in the cab. It's that cheap plastic type that has aline about maybe a 1/8 thick at best that goes through the firewall to be able to use the vents and such. Lol I'm terrible about oh I will do it later mind thought.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
It all connects to a single port on the passenger side of the keg

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It all connects to a single port on the passenger side of the keg

I seen that but don't have a clue to what's inside? Two connections are gone so I will track them down. I will take a picture of what I have. Maybe you can make sense of it. Lol.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I seen that but don't have a clue to what's inside? Two connections are gone so I will track them down. I will take a picture of what I have. Maybe you can make sense of it. Lol.

Under the dash?

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, still trying to get use to answering by the phone. lol. Waiting for daylight to start the pan and drop so I can remove the starter and dust shield for cleaning. The pan has been held on by a few bolts to protect it but its time to do one more good clean to install the pan for last time. Then on to thread that thermostat since I put some RTV in there to seal my mistake. Its easier in the morning hours so I don't sweat to death where I cant see. Then hopefully I will have that fixed and ready for bolts. Finished painting my fuel rail and looks good. I have to get a couple of alligator clips to rig up a way to clean the injectors. Then side step for a moment to hopefully get transmission bands adjusted right so I seal and fill with fluid. ( The pan is on with new seal and filter but wasn't filled with fluid) Give everything 24hrs to fully cure then take valve cover gaskets off and do a light oil so its not dry and try and hand crank to make sure oil getting where its needs to be. If I'm doing anything wrong. Let me know. I have been spinning the motor over a few times daily and no sounds other then compression.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update.Well I gave up trying to tap the intake dropped it off at the machine shop a little while ago. Should be done a hour or so. Anyway, wasn't a bad deal and when I removed the intake found a few bolts loose. Good thing I did by the upgraded plume plate kit. Now even though I took a air house and thought I blew everything off and out of the way. Right next to the distributor cap was still some dirt and leaves so now I have to suck the water intake due to a oak shell fell down there. I'm going to jerry rig something to get down there and suck that clean. I just cant catch a break today. lol. Will update when things mover further along.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have some small shop vac attachments that go from the 1 1/4 hose down to about a half inch pipe. Can be bought at just about any shop vac retailer.90f36ec7f1fd083da3e08f7875dcf44d.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have some small shop vac attachments that go from the 1 1/4 hose down to about a half inch pipe. Can be bought at just about any shop vac retailer.90f36ec7f1fd083da3e08f7875dcf44d.jpg

Going to do the same here. Getting the intake cleaned and ready for the new plate and gaskets. Going to do a cap and wire change while it's easy to get to. Thought I was going to get lucky but nope. Murphy showed up. Lol

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know Murphy. He's been hanging around here too.

Lol. It's weird though. 3 or 4 bolts were seemed finger tight as well the plume wasn't really that bad even with a dry gasket in place. It was still in place not damaged or leaking from I seen. It's crazy because I didn't nothing near what I am being told here with the new upgrade. Been so long ago and I don't even think I had a book when I replaced it. Lol bit either way. It will be done correctly. [emoji846]

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I used the felpro gasket 6 years ago with the stock bolts. My intake wasn't leaking. The oil was from the pcv system. I replaced the gasket and bolts this time for piece of mind.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the felpro gasket 6 years ago with the stock bolts. My intake wasn't leaking. The oil was from the pcv system. I replaced the gasket and bolts this time for piece of mind.

Mine was at the time but this time what oil I did see was more from the PVC as well. That reminded me I need to get those too. Dang I was at the auto parts store today. Lol. Weird thing though is some parts for this truck is hard to find. Looked around for a intake if needed. No luck. Same thing with the fuel rail. Was sure how bad the rust was at the time but thankful for just surface that cleaned up good. Has times changed that much that older parts are become hard to find. Heck when I was 19 and bought a old 63 Buick. The auto part store had the break light switch in stock and that was back in 1987. Lol

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Starting to feel like Johnny Cash's Cadillac. One piece at a time

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Starting to feel like Johnny Cash's Cadillac. One piece at a time

I agree. It's like they are going to force people to upgrade one day but I'm sure I won't be around then. Lol