Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing change question

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Sirriggs, Jun 9, 2021 at 1:23 PM.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Bear_Gibson

Bear_Gibson Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Do you have any 12 point sockets? Those work on taps with ratchets and extensions. Here's what I do at work 5/16 x 1/4" drive socket 5/16 hex x3/8 drive socket then I can use extensions after that. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

pacofortacos likes this.
  2. Bear_Gibson

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Also if you don't want it to fall apart then you can wrap it in electrical tape.

pacofortacos likes this.
  3. Bear_Gibson

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Another thought, getting to that timing chain is a pain when the truck is assembled, if you have a mind to do it, nows the time. A slack chain can rob you of fuel mileage and performance.

4. Sirriggs

Sirriggs Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Looking at your pictures helped a lot. I don't have any twelve point sockets or the T end like that but I can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and go through the single socket section and see if I can find something to fit the bit. I bought my tap and die from Harbor freight to save cash since I got both metric and American so this may be why I couldn't find a socket in my craftsman socket set that I can slide it in. Its like a odd ball size shaft. At least know I know what I need to do. I cant believe I didn't think of that. As many times I have used extensions lol.. I will run there in the morning and see if I can do. Thanks.

Bear_Gibson likes this.
  5. Bear_Gibson

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    My 5/16 tap has a 1/4" square. Thats the same as a 1/4" drive socket. So plug the tap into the 1/4" drive side and use a bolt and nut to adapt to what other socket you have and use a large 3/8 ratchet. You don't nessecarily need a t handle, just a long extension.

6. Bear_Gibson

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 8:40 PM
  7. Sirriggs

Sirriggs Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I just measured the shaft and it 3/16/ x3/16. So it a 1/16 shy of a 1/4. Well that's what I get for shopping Harbor freight lol. I could find a smaller kit with a 5/16 with a quarter shaft so I could use my extension. They aren't that expensive for a small kit.

8. Bear_Gibson

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Shim it with a piece of tin or aluminum on both sides. Or use a small 12 point socket. Don't discount metric and standard sizes. They do make long tap handles.

9. Sirriggs

Sirriggs Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I thought about that but didn't want to mess anything up. I found a 1/4 tap bit at Home Depot. Weather is acting up but will try to get by there today and double check it. I have to thread stripped out bolt hole in transmission as well. It seems the last place I trusted for oil change over a few years ago stripped the thread and didn't say anything. Thankful there was enough thread left that I still have the bolt in there. Just so sad.

I have it about where I should be able to lubricate the motor for a fresh start in about a week. Last thing left will be a new water pump. Then it on to the transmission. It was slipping a little after replacing the spring in the transmission. I'm going to torque the bands to factory setting and see if that helps? If not, then save the cash for a rebuild.

I have been turning the motor over every few days with small can to squirt the cylinders to keep it smooth and clean. I figure just before I do the start, I will replace the valave cover gaskets with a light clean and oil so they wont be dry when its ready.

Thanks Bear for all the advice you given.

10. Bear_Gibson

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    You can always Heli-coil damaged threads