Tire load range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flobub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased 2 fallen wild peak tires for my 2005 Pw off market place. I didn't think about checking the load range until I got home. They ar load range C. I was going to buy 2 more and install. Has anyone run tires with load range C on their 2500? I don't tow or load much weight in the bed other an occasional load of fire wood. I do off road on a regular basis. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would not run load C's on something as heavy as a power wagon.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
You could run p metric tires on that truck and still be fine with the occasional load in the bed. Look at the max load capacity on the tire. Just because it's a 3/4 ton truck doesn't automatically make it "needd" 8 or 10 ply tires, it all depends on use of the truck. If you were towing iften or heavy, sure, higher caoacity tires should be used.

Fur what you say you are using your truck for, those 6ply will be plenty

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not exactly sure what size tires they are but Falken has stock size in both C and E load range. The C range tires have a max load of 2,755 lbs. and the E range tires are 3,195 lbs. That means that the C range tires have a total weight capacity of 11,020 lbs. which way exceeds an empty PW and exceeds the overall GVW. Keep in mind that 1500 series or 1/2 ton trucks commonly come with C range tires. Yes, the PW is heavier but you are talking 1,000-1,500 lbs. more than a 1500 so as long as didn't haul or tow any big loads I wouldn't be overly concerned.
If somebody asked me what tires they should buy I would probably recommend a D or E rated tire, but I also don't think that C rated tires will explode and kill a bus full of nuns either......

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
BLUF: I would run at least what load range rating came from factory.

My opinion, the PW, at least the 4GEN, use 3195 load rated tires because half of the rear GAWR is 3100 lb and the closest load range is 121 at 3195 running the PSI on the door placard; 60 fr, 65 rr exceeding the combined GAWR with some buffer. GCWR has to factor in somewhere as well I would think.

Would a load range C work, likely, but probably have to run a pressure that would support a 3195 load rated tire. C is probably not going be as durable as load range E if doing serious off road or towing heavy.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I wouldn't want them on my truck, but then I don't live in the mid-west, but within the Rocky Mountains with steep winding mountain and canyon roads versus driving
occasionally across some hills. Even the OEM Load Range D tires which came on my Power Wagon were way too squishy in the sidewalls when empty for my comfort while driving alongside sheer cliffs lacking guardrails. They gave a comfortable ride, but with constant cornering it didn't give that firm control feeling with some sidewall roll. I would stick with at least the D's for the mid-west, but with E's in the mountains.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is that the a/t trail? The Falken wildpeak at3w is the one you want. It’s E rated.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Is that the a/t trail? The Falken wildpeak at3w is the one you want. E rated and 10ply walls I believe.
The tire doesn't have 10 ply sidewalls. All tires have a 2 or a 3 ply sidewall max. The plys are a rating, meaning the tires sidebar actually have to have that many physical plies with todays materials, it has the strength of 10 old nylon plies like you would find in an old bias ply tire.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The tire doesn't have 10 ply sidewalls. All tires have a 2 or a 3 ply sidewall max. The plys are a rating, meaning the tires sidebar actually have to have that many physical plies with todays materials, it has the strength of 10 old nylon plies like you would find in an old bias ply tire.

right, corrected.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
right, corrected.
Didn't mean to bash you. I just worked in the tire industry for over 10 years, i swear, as a manager, i think this was part of my job atleast a coupke times a day explaining to customers about load ranges, ply ratings, and the worst... No a 60 series isn't automatically a wide tire. Lol
It all still haunts me

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Didn't mean to bash you. I just worked in the tire industry for over 10 years, i swear, as a manager, i think this was part of my job atleast a coupke times a day explaining to customers about load ranges, ply ratings, and the worst... No a 60 series isn't automatically a wide tire. Lol
It all still haunts me

I didn’t take it as bash, all is good. I was probably too short and brief on my reply, LOL.