Tire pressure made a huge difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
lets make something else clear for some..

regarding the listed PSI on the tire and door....the tire doesn't know what truck its on and the door sticker doesn't know what tires on are the truck.

put that in you pipe and smoke it ( << not necessary but it was fun saying it:))

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
Let me first say 10 ply tires are only a rating not actually 10 ply. They are considered load rage E. I have been using them for years on my 1500s. They help a lot when towing and that's what I do. I ran 45lbs on my 3rd generation 4X4 and I run 48lbs on my 4th generation 4X4 as the suspension is softer overall. You will just need to tune them for your setup and needs. None of the 1500's should need 80lbs as they aren't capable of hauling enough weight to max out the tires capabilities.

Reactions: U&A

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The only way to know for sure, the best psi to run with your tires, is the chalk test mentioned above.

No one on the internet can tell you the best pressure for your particular tires, on your truck, and your loads.

I didn't watch this whole video, so I'm hoping he explains it ok. Seems like jeep guys are all about this concept.

https://youtu.be/ojGsavK0Uwc

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Let me first say 10 ply tires are only a rating not actually 10 ply. They are considered load rage E. I have been using them for years on my 1500s. They help a lot when towing and that's what I do. I ran 45lbs on my 3rd generation 4X4 and I run 48lbs on my 4th generation 4X4 as the suspension is softer overall. You will just need to tune them for your setup and needs. None of the 1500's should need 80lbs as they aren't capable of hauling enough weight to max out the tires capabilities.

Agree, even on teh Beast, (99 Dodge 2500 V-10 4x4), I never ran Max PSI, unless I planned on being close to overloaded. Normal PSI was 65lbs. Tires wore like iron, lasted forever and truck rode well, for a 99 2500 V-10, 4x4, quad cab, long box, Beast, that is.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spoke to Toyo directly today and they recommended 45psi for the 275/65/20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My truck calls for 80 in front and 75 rear.

I reprogrammed my TPMS and got new tires that are 65 psi max, run them at 50psi.

You think tire pressure makes a difference. Remove your sway bar!

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool!

So they asked what vehicle you drive and how much added weight, if any?

Yeah I just told them 1500 crew cab outdoorsman and they told me the psi they recommend. 45psi cold they said. Funny thing was, they couldn't recommend a tire pressure for towing or loading the bed of truck.. For of course .. legal reasons in case something went wrong? I'm not sure but they were just covering their ass so. But they did say to up the psi when towing but not by how much. Their customer service is easy to reach and are very knowledgable. Both times I called I found out exactly what I needed to know.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah I just told them 1500 crew cab outdoorsman and they told me the psi they recommend. 45psi cold they said. Funny thing was, they couldn't recommend a tire pressure for towing or loading the bed of truck.. For of course .. legal reasons in case something went wrong? I'm not sure but they were just covering their ass so. But they did say to up the psi when towing but not by how much. Their customer service is easy to reach and are very knowledgable. Both times I called I found out exactly what I needed to know.

do you mind taking a pic of the rear tire tread surface that shows the dirt on the tire after running it at 45 PSI ?

to be brutally honest, and im just voicing my opinion not arguing with anyone, im surprised they said 45. that seems high but I dont have a 1/2 ton ram so im just guessing from past experiences with a 1/2 ton. I ran the door suggestion of 40 PSI on the same width tire as yours with a C rated tire and it was plenty. i would think you 10 ply would need less.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you mind taking a pic of the rear tire tread surface that shows the dirt on the tire after running it at 45 PSI ?

to be brutally honest, and im just voicing my opinion not arguing with anyone, im surprised they said 45. that seems high but I dont have a 1/2 ton ram so im just guessing from past experiences with a 1/2 ton. I ran the door suggestion of 40 PSI on the same width tire as yours with a C rated tire and it was plenty. i would think you 10 ply would need less.

Yeah I can do that no problem, I just gotta add the extra 5psi tomorrow and won't be able to show anything until mid afternoon. Yeah but maybe since the sidewalls are stiffer the extra psi is needed to push and even out the middle of the tread? I'm no expert I'm just trying to thing of why the manufacturer might recommend that.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah I can do that no problem, I just gotta add the extra 5psi tomorrow and won't be able to show anything until mid afternoon. Yeah but maybe since the sidewalls are stiffer the extra psi is needed to push and even out the middle of the tread? I'm no expert I'm just trying to thing of why the manufacturer might recommend that.

No rush. Whenever you get a chance. Thanks. Just some prespective. My 1 ton SRW needs to have the rears at 50 to get a complete contact patch on a 275 wide tire (10.82"). I started at 80 from day one from the dealer set psi and just kept going down and down and down. The tires only have 2650 miles on them so it still not set in stone but i think i could still drop a few psi.
EDIT: they are 10 PLY
Crazy.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tire pressures will change daily hell they can change by the minute depending on outside conditions and how/where you drive..
Just sitting in my driveway i have seen my tires on a warm novascotia day hit 40 psi but by late evening they are around 35/38 psi so its a constant battle if your **** about it..

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have my tires at 42 PSI, any lower than 40 the TPMS light comes on. 20k miles and no unusual ware, ill try dropping maybe see if ride comfort gets a little better. I heard Nitrogen makes the vehicle ride so f-in good

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have my tires at 42 PSI, any lower than 40 the TPMS light comes on. 20k miles and no unusual ware, ill try dropping maybe see if ride comfort gets a little better. I heard Nitrogen makes the vehicle ride so f-in good

:laughing1:

wait ...... :hmm: was this for real ?

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure I'll have to look into that and contact Toyo, just wasn't sure if someone on the forum already knew ect. I'll find out and post

Running the same tire. I have mine set for 40. **** got real comfy when I aired down to 20 psi for fun in the sand.