Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwartzy18510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Hello all! New owner of a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 here. I'm in the midst of a minor tune-up, and discovered while setting my initial tire pressures that my Owner's Manual in the glove box is missing the "Tire Inflation Pressure & Loading" booklet that I've seen referenced elsewhere on the interwebs. My understanding is this booklet contains charts listing recommended tire pressures for different load conditions and even different truck configurations (such as cab type, wheel size, etc.), compared to the one-size-fits all PSI rating listed on the driver door jamb.

I'm trying to locate this booklet since I intend to tow with my Ram and would like to know Dodge's PSI recommendations at different loads. I'm also a bit of an efficiency nut with a strong interest in fuel economy — HEMI not withstanding! — and would love to know whether it's true that this booklet recommends running a tire pressure that is 5 PSI over that listed on the driver door jamb for all Quad Cab models.

My repeated Google searches for a PDF of this document came up empty. I created a user account over at Mopar's Customer Connection portal to gain access to all of their official documentation related to my truck, but found that it was not listed. I even contacted Mopar via chat, but was told that it is no longer available online and that hard copies were only provided to the original owners. The rep I spoke with directed me to Tech Authority's website and told me I could purchase it there, but it doesn't look like they have it available either.

For sake of context, my Ram came equipped from the factory with the P275/60R20 tire and rim combo. The Tire & Loading Info decal on the driver door jamb lists the standard cold tire inflation pressure of 35 PSI front and rear, and the currently installed Mastercraft Courser HSX Tour P275/60R20's list a max inflation pressure of 44 PSI. All pretty straight-forward. I'm running 35 PSI cold right now per this info, and am familiar with how to dial in tire pressures via the chalk contact pattern test.

I'd simply like to locate this pamphlet to satisfy my thirst for all information related to the performance and use of my new-to-me truck. If the above-referenced claim can be verified, I imagine the OEM recommendation for adding 5 PSI to the door jamb tire pressure recommendation for all Quad Cab models may also be interesting news to many of us here. Do any of my fellow 3rd-gen owners by chance have this booklet floating around in their glove box?

Last edited:

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I can't help you with your quest for a booklet, but if you go to the tire mfg's website for the brand that is 'currently' on your truck you can find specific info for your tires. Every tire mfg is going to be different, at least in my experience.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would run the tire pressure that is on the door sticker, UNTIL you load the bed with wood or gravel, or you are pulling a travel trailer
add about 5 pound of air when running heavy & deflate it again when running empty.
stop by a tire store & ask for their thoughts

Dodge engineers built your truck & they wrote the specs for the tires
so the door stickers are correct for your quad cab

Don't go by the inflation amounts on your tires side wall, the tire is made for many different vehicles, some of those vehicles are heavier than yours

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to locate this booklet since I intend to tow with my Ram and would like to know Dodge's PSI recommendations at different loads.
Unless you have the original tires that came with the truck new still on it Dodge isn't going to know what psi to run them at. The sticker on the door is only for the original tires. Once a different set is put on you go by the tire manufacturers specs.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over the last 400k+ miles of driving an ‘08 QC 4.7 4wd, I’ve found the best tire pressure setup for ride quality/treadlife/handling is 35-37 psi up front (cold) and 30-32 psi rear (cold) while empty. As mentioned, bump up rear depending on payload (+5 psi up to max on sidewall). Truck gets **** mileage regardless of tire pressure

OP
OP
S

schwartzy18510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Thanks for the input, everyone! Several good points made already. To be clear, I plan on sticking to the 35 PSI listed on the door jamb for now when unloaded, and will consider the 44 PSI max of my tires the upper limit when making load adjustments.

That said, I'd still love to consult this phantom Tire Pressure & Loading Booklet to get the opinion of the Dodge engineers on tire pressures at various loads as an additional data point. Apparently it was contained as a stand-alone addendum within the original Owner's Manual packet.

@3pedals — Greatly appreciate you sharing your 400K miles of experience, particularly given the fact that your truck is the exact same model year and cab configuration as my own. You don't by chance have the mystery pamphlet in your Owner's Manual packet in the glove box, do you?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
The sticker on the door is for a fully loaded (manufacture recommended) max load. I do not think anyone prints them anymore (tire data book). If you can find one they are handy. But as already said, I am sure the info is one line. The books contained almost all information about any size and load range tire. You would look up a tire size ( as brand made no difference - the size and load range does and ALL manufactures have to play by those rules). You can find things like: how much weight a tire can carry in every 2 psi increment. How much weight a tire can carry at the same pressure vs another size. And so on.
however because the tire made be able to carry more weight DOES NOT mean the truck suspension can!

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry don’t have the pamphlet, but here’s my rationale for running those pressures.

Front tires tend to wear inner edges quicker, especially on a non-all terrain tread with shallower edge tread blocks. By pumping up front a couple psi to 37, seems to reduce inner shoulder wear and help with handling/turn-in without affecting ride quality.

Rear tires always wear the centers quicker, even at my lower setting of 30-32 psi cold, but far better than when set at 35psi. The ride quality is also considerably better at 30-32psi with no negative side effects.

Keep in mind that the engineers at dodge set tire pressure to account for safety under all conditions. My ‘16 2500 ctd is supposed to run 65psi up front and 80psi in back. At the higher rear tire pressure, it wears the centers excessively and rides like utter crap out back. I’ve been running that truck with 65psi front/45psi rear when empty and it has greatly improved tire wear and ride quality. I do pump up the rears as needed when towing/hauling