Tire pressure made a huge difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No rush. Whenever you get a chance. Thanks. Just some prespective. My 1 ton SRW needs to have the rears at 50 to get a complete contact patch on a 275 wide tire (10.82"). I started at 80 from day one from the dealer set psi and just kept going down and down and down. The tires only have 2650 miles on them so it still not set in stone but i think i could still drop a few psi.
EDIT: they are 10 PLY
Crazy.

Image1467325995.236659.jpg front leftImage1467326009.616449.jpg rear right Image1467326026.867676.jpg rear left.
This is only a couple miles on 44 psi... 44 because the truck takes a little while to get the psi gauge correct after driving so I had to do a little guess work at the air compressor. Tires still only have about 500 miles on them total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I tow a boat every week or two so I don't keep adjusting pressure. I'm running a 2015 Big Horn 1500 with stock tires. They are wearing evenly and as I've done with every vehicle, I evenly inflate them to a pound or two below max cold psi, so in my case they are all at 43psi for each tire. The ride isn't too stiff for me and it's better for mpg. If my tires ever started wearing unevenly or blowing, I would reduce the pressure.

The door sticker recommendation, IMO, is for maximizing ride comfort and mpg. I discount the ride comfort so I go above the 39psi recommendation.

Jimpaaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The recommendationsticker on my -09 1500 CC says 35psi on 275x60x20 tyres , wich i feel is a bit to low. sure, i get a smooth ride over bumps.. but it runs heavy and feels hard to steer. Changed to 40psi and felt a big difference.

Now, this is for daily use not heavily loaded.. but winter is coming, sleddeck and 2 snowmobiles loaded. what is recommended then?

anyone with insight? just bought the truck 3 months ago. :)

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a thing called a Load Inflation Table..............tells you what the load capacity of tires are different PSI. And remember, P rated tires on trucks have a reduced load capacity of 10% ................

I don't have my stockers anymore but @39 PSI, I beleive the stock goodyears are rated at something like 2245 lbs (it's in the table below).

So anyway, figure the load rating needed based on stock tires and stock inflation, then find your tire size and corresponding PSI needed.

EDIT: p metric tires on light trucks, suv's and van have their load capacity reduced by a factor of 1.1, not 10% as I wrote above (although 10% is pretty close). So to find the load capacity just divide by 1.1....

https://www.toyotires.com/tires-101/tire-load-and-inflation-tables

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is a thing called a Load Inflation Table..............tells you what the load capacity of tires are different PSI. And remember, P rated tires on trucks have a reduced load capacity of 10% ................

This. It's in the mythical owners manual and the RAM website for OEM tires and on the tire manufacturers website for aftermarket tires.

Don't guess, and don't take the word on a forum as gospel.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does nobody read their owners manual anymore?

I'd much rather get gospel truth here than read what the guys that engineered the truck might recommend. ;)

:favorites13:

Why read the manual....the door sticker already covers it, and it was determined by the same people who wrote the manual.

Oh well.....

I'm surprised also by how many think the pressure on the tire is the recommended pressure. It is ONLY the recommended pressure if you at at the max load...something 99% of these trucks will never see.

Just like E rated tires.....95% of our trucks never need them.

I tow more than most, and the stock tires serve me just fine towing, and still give me the comfort & mpg they are designed to.

But hey, everyone who owns a truck thinks they know more than the engineers who designed them, so they change tons of stuff, and then ask why doesn't it ride nice, or why does the mpg suck.......

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Man i'm going to really screw with your guys minds then,i run all my tires at the max pressure on the tire sidewall,51psi cold,lol. I could care less about ride,i want all the speed at the track I can get,good milege doesn't hurt either,lol
I figure the guys that actually manufacture the tires are probably a little more in clue then the guys that design/build the trucks. Factory tire pressures are designed to meet corporate gas milege quota's,more then anything. Ever notice when the corporate milege quota has to go up,because of government mandates,tire pressures also go up,first thing manufactures do when they're trying to meet a milege quota is raise the tire pressure.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I took off my camper to do some exploring last Aug. Had 60psi in the tires and 75 in the airbags.felt like the tires were made of granite and I heard all kinds of sqeaks and rattles

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man i'm going to really screw with your guys minds then,i run all my tires at the max pressure on the tire sidewall,51psi cold,lol. I could care less about ride,i want all the speed at the track I can get,good milege doesn't hurt either,lol
I figure the guys that actually manufacture the tires are probably a little more in clue then the guys that design/build the trucks. Factory tire pressures are designed to meet corporate gas milege quota's,more then anything. Ever notice when the corporate milege quota has to go up,because of government mandates,tire pressures also go up,first thing manufactures do when they're trying to meet a milege quota is raise the tire pressure.

The guys who design tires are 'in tune' for the tires. But that's it. They don't know what the weight or load on the vehicle they get put on is.

Not too sure on the tire pressures going up....as long as I've been driving, the pressures have been pretty consistent

Did you know they use to have recommended pressures PLUS the min & max pressure on tire sidewalls ??

And for the guy who called the tire maker to find out the pressure....I'd bet you'd get the same answer no matter if it is a chevy, ram, ford, toyota, and no matter what it weighed.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just run 36 in all of my tires. I've never had an issue.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just a referance. I called many tire manufacturers about side wall plys and they had no idea what i meant.

Just showing that calling the manufacturer can be pointless

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The guys who design tires are 'in tune' for the tires. But that's it. They don't know what the weight or load on the vehicle they get put on is.

Not too sure on the tire pressures going up....as long as I've been driving, the pressures have been pretty consistent

Did you know they use to have recommended pressures PLUS the min & max pressure on tire sidewalls ??

And for the guy who called the tire maker to find out the pressure....I'd bet you'd get the same answer no matter if it is a chevy, ram, ford, toyota, and no matter what it weighed.

Your a bit young then,years ago the recommended tire pressure was usually 28psi in a pass car tire,and 32psi for a light truck tire,it's been ever increasing since the 70's,everytime government sticks their foot in the manufacture's ass about emissions and milege,tire pressures have increased. Been around for more then a few years,also been reading tire sidewalls for many many years,so yes I do know what they used to put on a tires sidewall regarding pressures.
Not sure what your trying to get at with your last comment,but then again I didn't read the whole thread.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your a bit young then,years ago the recommended tire pressure was usually 28psi in a pass car tire,and 32psi for a light truck tire,it's been ever increasing since the 70's,everytime government sticks their foot in the manufacture's ass about emissions and milege,tire pressures have increased. Been around for more then a few years,also been reading tire sidewalls for many many years,so yes I do know what they used to put on a tires sidewall regarding pressures.
Not sure what your trying to get at with your last comment,but then again I didn't read the whole thread.

Well, been driving for 37 yrs...and the tire pressures for the truck & cars I have owned have been between 30 & 34 psi, most @ 32 psi. Only ones that were different are the lower profile tires & the dually I had.

The last comment was meant to show that what they told the guy had nothing to do with the truck the tire was on or it's weight.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, been driving for 37 yrs...and the tire pressures for the truck & cars I have owned have been between 30 & 34 psi, most @ 32 psi. Only ones that were different are the lower profile tires & the dually I had.

The last comment was meant to show that what they told the guy had nothing to do with the truck the tire was on or it's weight.

Find me a manufacturer that has recommended 32 psi in a light truck tire in the last 20 years. Not sure how you figure 32psi is the same as 39psi as that's whats recommended now. Not even sure what the hell you're trying to prove with your comments,but you run your tires where you want,and i'll run my tires where I want,hows that grab you:roflsquared::roflsquared:
Also when Firestone still had a tire plant locally they used to put on tire schools at the local road course/dragstrip. They used to recommend running 5 psi over the recommended pressure on the sidewall for handling on the road course,and 5 psi under if you were on the dragstrip. At that time their tires were supposedly still safe aired up to 110psi and loaded to their max weight limit

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Find me a manufacturer that has recommended 32 psi in a light truck tire in the last 20 years. Not sure how you figure 32psi is the same as 39psi as that's whats recommended now. Not even sure what the hell you're trying to prove with your comments,but you run your tires where you want,and i'll run my tires where I want,hows that grab you:roflsquared::roflsquared:
Also when Firestone still had a tire plant locally they used to put on tire schools at the local road course/dragstrip. They used to recommend running 5 psi over the recommended pressure on the sidewall for handling on the road course,and 5 psi under if you were on the dragstrip. At that time their tires were supposedly still safe aired up to 110psi and loaded to their max weight limit

Well, what about the 1st 17 yrs I was driving ?? I mean 20 yrs is only 1/2 of it.

I just went online and checked.....the only vehicles I have owned in those 37 yrs (and I've owned ~ 25 I think), that had a recommended tire pressure that didn't fall between 30 & 34 psi would be the 2008 Silverado, which was 35 psi, and my current 2012 Ram, which is also 35 psi (not 39 as you claim), and of course, the 97 3500 dually I had. I went as far back as 1984, which is more than 20 yrs.

The only one that is anywhere close to what you claim is normal was the 97 3500 dually, and it is a totally different class of vehicle. And guess what...I ran 25 psi in the rear tires on it when not loaded (I refused to go lower)....as that is what it took to get close to even tread contact using the chalk line method. I did run the recommended 65 psi in the front due to the weight of the engine & front axle. Yes, it was a cummins engine. Loaded, I bumped the rears back up to between 45 & 65 depending on the load I was hauling.

So, I guess the manufacturers you wanted me to find & list for you would include the following:
Dodge & Ram
Chevrolet
Jeep
Toyota
Ford/Mercury (altho these were cars)

I never said 32 is the same as 39...I did say the ones I have owned had tire pressures of 30-34 psi. Sorry, I was wrong, I was off by 1 psi on the 2 newest trucks I have owned, and they are also the only ones with the newer style low profile tires.

I did see where one brand recommended raising the pressure 3 psi, not 5 psi, if you are gonna be driving over 100 mph.....and I have never heard or seen anything that supports a regular tire being able to handle 110 psi....but I have seen several people injured badly when they over filled them to much less than 110 psi, and the tire exploded.

Now, as to what I was trying to say...I simply answered your posts that were directed at me or something I said.

As to your advice on pressures....you run yours at what you want, and I'll run what the guys who designed the vehicles recommend. Believe it or not, they do talk to the tire guys...they don't just randomly throw tires on the vehicles and assume they work. Hopefully, others will figure it out and do so as well.

Last edited: