Tire / Rims with Stock Air Bag Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adelima19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forums, I have a 2013 White 1500 Sport Quad Cab and I have gone through a lot of treads of what size tires you can use with no lift on your truck, but seems like everyone had the Normal suspension, I have the Stock Ram Air Ride Suspension, and in not sure on the main difference is from either one. I know if I put my Truck near my Buddies Chevy I am probably about 2" lower in the Wheel well. that is with my Truck in the Normal ride high, I think if I put it in Off Road 2 setting I would gain the 2"s, does anyone have any info if you can fit the same size tire regardless if you have Air Bag suspension or the normal Suspension. or are the Control arms in different location allowing for a bigger or small tire? Any information would help. I have 20" rims right now but I like the Off ride look, so would be open to 17-18" rim with a nice beefy tire. I do not off road, but do get a lot of snow in the winters normally. Live in NE

here are photos when I bought my truck, I can take new one but it looks the same haven't done anything to it.
WP_20150418_10_25_32_Pro_zpsymrunagr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WP_20150418_10_25_23_Pro_zpsml8jmfot.jpg

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stock Air-Ride suspension here. I put 275/65R20 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx's on my stock 20" chrome clad wheels about 3 months ago. They're about an inch taller than the stock Goodyears so the front two rub a little at full turn when it is in Entry/Exit mode. I never have the truck in that setting so it does not affect me whatsoever. I've seen guys on other forums use these adjustable links to level out the front end or even make normal mode as tall as stock Offroad 2 is. This would prevent the front two tires from rubbing in any suspension mode, depending on how you adjust the links.

IMG_9411.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know about those!! Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be spending 300 more than planned when it's time to get new tires!! Just bought these ones so it will be a year or two.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try swapping your front links with your back ones. I've seen people with rebels do it and it gives a good amount of lift. Just keep the truck in aero mode though because it rides rough in the off-road modes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you give an update on those tires. Ride quality, sound, etc?

Thanks

No issues at all and not loud in my opinion. Only 3000 miles so far. Mainly just wanted to try mud tires out. I'll probably go back to all terrains next time as they are more practical.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's how not to do the above mod linked.
picture.php

I swapped the links but one of the fronts wasn't popped all the way back on. If I go this route I'll get the correctly adjusted ones. Oh, and all is back to normal now, I was just goofing around earlier.

Last edited:

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I've tried switching the links and it lifts the truck damn near two inches front and rear but it throws an payload capacity warning if you try to go into Offroad 1 (which is really like Offroad 3 if that were a thing). I swapped the rear links on a buddy of mine's and put them on my front and the truck was perfectly level. But once again, the Offroad modes were not accessible. I'm thinking of buying a set of the stock rear links (Part No. 68212621AA ) and somehow disabling the air suspension controls in the dash, but still retain the auto leveling function. $70 shipped plus the cost of tire alignment seems to be a pretty cheap leveling kit! If I weren't a broke college kid I would definitely get the adjustable links though...

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like they could be built pretty cheap. I may go to the parts store or Home Depot and see what I can do. They seem pretty simple.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's how not to do the above mod linked.
picture.php

I swapped the links but one of the fronts wasn't popped all the way back on. If I go this route I'll get the correctly adjusted ones. Oh, and all is back to normal now, I was just goofing around earlier.

Well you figured out how to slam it! Haha. That's the good thing though, if you don't like it, it's easy to reverse.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well you figured out how to slam it! Haha. That's the good thing though, if you don't like it, it's easy to reverse.

Yeah, take them off completely and you'll be on the bump stops with an immediate service suspension warning. Now I'm kind of curious if the back would do the same.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have been down gravel roads yet? Do they throw stones any worse than you'd expect?

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had some spare time today so I swapped the links like you did. I had previously done this before but with the stock tires on. Make sure you swap them when in normal mode or all hell breaks loose when the suspension tries to set itself. With the links swapped, mine sits about .5" taller front and rear than when it is normally in Offroad 2. Entry/Exit mode is fully functional and sits about an inch taller front and rear than normal normal mode. When you try to go to Offroad 1, dash indicator will say "RAISING" continuously for about 30 second and then flashes a message saying something like "Payload capacity reached" or "Service air suspension immediately". If you turn the truck off and start it back up, it will show it as in OR 1. However, the suspension is definitely not designed to be that tall and the ride is absolutely horrendous and the front end bounces like a mother f&*%er over even the smallest bumps. Here's a pic of mine in normal mode with the links swapped. Mine measure (from ground to center of fenderwell) 40.25" in the front and a tad over 42" in the rear, roughly. Even hooked up to one of our small 16-foot trailers (about 1800 lbs unloaded or so) and the rear end adjusted itself and raised up to accomodate the trailer weight.

Attachments

• IMG_9550.jpg
    IMG_9550.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice. I was wondering about load leveling. Sounds like it still functions. I'm going to try and see what I can figure out to get some that are close to stock but a little closer to normal off road 2 so that the ride is a little smoother. I'll start a new thread if I get around to going to the parts store and figuring something out. Definitely would need an alignment if it's going to be kept as high as it sits with the swap.

OP
OP
A

Adelima19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I also have the stock air suspension. Here's my thread. Anything that fits a normal truck should fit yours in normal ride height. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/new_wheels_tires_17x9_-13_33x12_5_a-74797/

I looked at that posted before, and I like those rims, and not bad on the price. the tires are a little to much for me lol. at normal ride height you don't have any rubbing? Thank you for your help.