Tire Rubbing with 285-75-17s w/out lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just put a set of 285-75-17s (BFG KO2s), which measure out to 33.8", on a set of Mickey T Classic Black III 17s, and I have not yet lifted the truck at all and they rub a bit when turning sharply. My leveling shocks (Fox 2.0 all around, and I will mount them cranked up all the way) have not arrived yet, shoudl be another week or two, so I'll be driving my truck with these new tires and wheels for about 2 weeks without a lift.

Just wondering if anybody here has the same tire size and has any rubbing after a 2" lift or level. Just sort of wondering if I'll have to deal with rubbing even after I lift the truck a few inches, or whether I'll have to monkey around with spacers and such.

Also wondering if anybody has done the chalk test for PSI on this tire size in the KO2s, and can tell me what they measured it out to be. I plan on doing the chalk test ASAP, but would be nice to know what other people have figured out.

Thanks!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What is the backspacing on the wheels and where is it rubbing?

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What is the backspacing on the wheels and where is it rubbing?

I think backspacing is 3.6.

It is rubbing on the back part of the wheel well liner, I think only on the driver's side, which I find weird. Might just be that the liner on the driver's side is a little lose, because if I were to get it to fold in even the slightest bit it looks like it wouldn't rub.

If it still rubs with the lift, I wonder if a caster adjustment when I get an alignment would solve the problem?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Get a self tapping screw and pin the liner to the frame thats behind it.

The offset of your wheel is why it's rubbing but you should be good after the lift.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get a self tapping screw and pin the liner to the frame thats behind it.

The offset of your wheel is why it's rubbing but you should be good after the lift.

I think I solved this, but I figured I'd let everybody know what happened. It seems my caster was off on the side that rubbed (front drivers) by about 1/4". That is why it rubs on only the drivers side. I should be getting my new shocks by the end of the week, so I'm waiting to get an alignment until then.

So, even with the caster off this might be fixed with the 2" lift from my new Foxes not yet installed, I'm almost sure it will be fixed with a caster adjustment properly aligned, with or without the lift my new shocks will give.

Going to post a separate thread to get some info on DIY caster adjustments, because I'll have to drive it like this for a week or two before I end up getting a professional alignment (rather not have to pay for one twice).

But all this aside, if I couldn't get the rubbing to stop with the aforementioned things, pinning the liner might be the way to go.

Thanks guys.